Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Since part of our trip is going to Salem, MA, I'm going to read (or start, at least) The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent, about the Salem witch trials.
I loved that book! It's one I want to re-read. My sister wasn't as impressed as I was so I'm not gonna say "you'll love it!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I loved that book! It's one I want to re-read. My sister wasn't as impressed as I was so I'm not gonna say "you'll love it!".
I think that I'm in somewhere in between you and your sister. I find it very dense. It's certainly not an easy read, probably because of the language and the biblical references (which all go over my head). But I'm making my way through it.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I just finished The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber.......excellent book!
I have ALL her books on my Christmas wish list. (I guess I best get busy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I hope you are as touched by it as I was.

After reading Larksong's post about Debbie McComber's work, I decided that was the umpteenth time I'd heard or read a good review of her works, so I just checked out "Thursday's at Eight" (her first published non-romance), and "The Shop on Blossom Street" (because it's nearly fall and I will soon be getting those knitting needles busy, again). Hmmm. With school full-time, reading and knitting something is going to have to give....

Maggie: I also went ahead and downloaded Barr's Anna Pigeon's #9-16. What the heck, I was on a roll!

Okay, NOW for "Death Comes to Pemberly" (though it may be the death of me... only 31% left to go -- yawn, yawn, zzzzzzzzz).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
You will love The Shop on Blossom Street it is a great book. If you like knitting most of her later books touch on knitting and she will even include instructions in some of her books.
The Shop on Blossom Street is the first Debbie McComber book I bought. Someone gave me One Night. Now I want them all.
I'm a knitter - have been at it for over 40 years - and loved ...Blossom Street. My only problem with the book is that I would never have beginners make a baby blanket, I would teach them to make slippers.
(I mostly make slippers because they are simple to make and I can do so while watching tv.
I'm slowing down a lot and it takes me nearly one baseball game or NASCAR race to make one slipper now - instead of a full pair.)

Back to books... I am still plodding along with North and South by John Jakes. The bickering has started and the Civil War is just a few years away.
I'm at the point where I am reading this for hours at a time and staying up late to do so. I found it really slow at first, but now I can't seem to put it down.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
The Shop on Blossom Street is the first Debbie McComber book I bought. Someone gave me One Night. Now I want them all.
I'm a knitter - have been at it for over 40 years - and loved ...Blossom Street. My only problem with the book is that I would never have beginners make a baby blanket, I would teach them to make slippers.
(I mostly make slippers because they are simple to make and I can do so while watching tv.
Okay, so first -- I want the slipper pattern! Will you share? I've been wanting to make slippers for Christmas presents, and this seems like the time to start! (I haven't been knitting for 40 years, and use knitting as Mindfulness training: One - Stitch - At - A - TIME.

I don't know how I got them confused, but somehow instead of starting "The Shop on Blossom Street" which I DO have on my (as yet unnamed) Kindle, I started: "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club" by Gil McNeil. I am only 6% into it but enjoying it, already.

I also got the next two books reserved from our library system, one written by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche: "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" and the other compiled from his writings, edited by Carolyn Rose Gimian, titled "The Sanity We Are Born With." Both topics were identified by him as critical for the Western introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, and I am interested in both. Of course, now that I have only three weeks left to Fall quarter classes -- three this time, I don't have any idea how I will manage to read all three!

So, probably I won't be around much, and those slippers may have to be next year's gifts!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,299,877 times
The History & Theory of Rhetoric
Available Means
Central Works in Technical Communication

Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
That Used to Be Us by Thomas Friedman
Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton

Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think that I'm in somewhere in between you and your sister. I find it very dense. It's certainly not an easy read, probably because of the language and the biblical references (which all go over my head). But I'm making my way through it.
Yeah, I don't think it was an easy read, but I think I haven't read much as far as that stuff so it was pretty powerful to me and the author having family who was there during the witch trials made it more interesting to me. My sister reads way more historical fiction than I do. I still like a variety of genres.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (1935)
One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Just finished Alas, Babylon and just started Under The Dome. Had never read Alas, Babylon before, although it was written in 1959.

I remember so many books I read and loved decades ago e.g. The Nun's Story, The Small Woman, Forever Amber, and have tried to re-read many of them in recent years. I am always struck by how much writing style has changed in the past 50 years. Those earlier books seem almost childish now, as though they were written by authors who lacked writing experience and were telling a story without style or finesse.

I have not read a Stephen King book for many years--got tired of all the horror--but Under The Dome is starting off pretty good--think I will like it.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 09-06-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I am always struck by how much writing style has changed in the past 50 years. Those earlier books seem almost childish now, as though they were written by authors who lacked writing experience and were telling a story without style or finesse.
I know what you mean, and it probably depends upon the author, but many of them chose an unaffected style by design. Then there are others that were simply artless. I find myself a bit overcome by the day's "sophistication" and style. IMHO, it's like the difference between Snow White and the Evil Queen -- as I grow older I find myself weary of sophistication.

If you are interested in how popular fiction has changed in the New World over time, you should go back and read some of our top ten from the early 20th century. I found from reading the first seven years of top tens that the works were hopeful and optimistic, often told just good fun stories -- lots of adventures. Now, so many are grim, the end of the world, etc. (quite "prideful, in my view). It says a lot about us as a people, I think.

Off soapbox....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books