Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I am always struck by how much writing style has changed in the past 50 years. Those earlier books seem almost childish now, as though they were written by authors who lacked writing experience and were telling a story without style or finesse.

I've had the same experience. I've tried to read A Pocketful of Rye, Wide Sargasso Sea, and Young Woman of Manhattan. I couldn't believe how corny the writing was; it was completely lacking in artistry and compelling storytelling. The books seemed aimed at a young teen audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Three right now, depending on my mood.

Jewel In The Crown, by Paul Scott. 100 pages in.

A Way In The World, by V.S. Naipaul. 45 pages in.

A Perfect Spy, by Le Career. 200 pages in.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
The Accidental Tourist - Anne Tyler

This Glittering World - T. Greenwood

Sneaky People - Thomas Berger

Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Just finished Alas, Babylon and just started Under The Dome. Had never read Alas, Babylon before, although it was written in 1959.

I remember so many books I read and loved decades ago e.g. The Nun's Story, The Small Woman, Forever Amber, and have tried to re-read many of them in recent years. I am always struck by how much writing style has changed in the past 50 years. Those earlier books seem almost childish now, as though they were written by authors who lacked writing experience and were telling a story without style or finesse.

I have not read a Stephen King book for many years--got tired of all the horror--but Under The Dome is starting off pretty good--think I will like it.
Alas, Babylon is one of my top 5 favorite books. I read it for the first time about 3 years ago and I've read it again. I so closely identified with it because I was raised in an Air Force family and my father was a B-52 pilot. So, I knew what they were going through. I love they way they came up with the code term "Alas, Babylon." I loved the characters and this one is really character driven.

I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of Under the Dome. I'm a big fan of King but I did not like this particular book.

Ahhhh. The Nun's Story. I have that movie and watch it from time to time and I have read the book. Last month I did some google research on "the nun." It's very interesting what she did with her life.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Three right now, depending on my mood.

Jewel In The Crown, by Paul Scott. 100 pages in.

A Way In The World, by V.S. Naipaul. 45 pages in.

A Perfect Spy, by Le Career. 200 pages in.
Oh man, I reall love John Le Carré's books. A Perfect Spy is a good one. I also really like The Spy Who Came In From the Cold as well as Little Drummer Girl.

Now I am going to have to reread those.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of Under the Dome. I'm a big fan of King but I did not like this particular book.
I'm interested as well, for the same reason!

Have you read 11/22/63 yet? I did enjoy this one and will read it again for sure.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Where's the emoticon for tossing one's cookies when one needs it?!
Really, if an author is talented, why wouldn't they use their talent for good.

I know, but I grip my naïveté with both hands and hold very, very tightly.
Stokoe is very talented. Check out his novel "Empty Mile" if you think "High Life" would give you nightmares. It is still a bleak read, but it is toned down quite a bit from his earlier works.

I just finished "Candy: A Novel of Love and Addiction" by Luke Davies. It is another story about Australian heroin addicts in the Melbourne subburb of St. Kilda. I would recommend it to anyone who liked Kate Holden's memoir "In My Skin".

Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
We have a community book shelf at work and I picked up Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. It was written in 2005 and is a coming-of-age story set in a boarding school. So far I like the writing and am finding the main character very endearing.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

220 posts, read 282,800 times
Finally finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I really enjoyed this one and liked it almost as much as the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I don't read mysteries/thrillers too often but I really did enjoy this trilogy. I definitely recommend the trilogy to anyone who has any interest in the genre.

Next up is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm looking forward to reading some non-fiction again - my favorite!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post

Next up is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm looking forward to reading some non-fiction again - my favorite!
Good book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books