Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Finally got Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts", and it is starting out fine, reads rather like a novel, but is a carefully researched true account. Which I hope will give me an agenda-free account of Hitler's Germany from the non-Jewish perspective of a genuinely thorough historian.
Ambassador Dud? Definitely the non-Jewish perspective. I thought Erik Larson did a great job with Devil in the White City and apparently he had loads of first person accounts available to him for this project. I'll be interested to hear your perspective on this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM

41 posts, read 58,384 times
I just started reading World War Z by Max Brooks and I am liking it a lot so far!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well thanks for reminding me about Garden of the Beast. Been wanting to read that.
I just ((today!!)) finished
Mrs. Robinsons DisgraceThe Private Diary of a VictorianLady Amazon.com: Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady (9781608199136): Kate Summerscale: Books
It was on a list recommended for historical fiction from the library and sounded intriguing. Turns out it is non fiction. It was really a very interesting- fascinating- account of life in Victorian England. It was really enlightening to me.

Next up not sure....

Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ambassador Dud? Definitely the non-Jewish perspective. I thought Erik Larson did a great job with Devil in the White City and apparently he had loads of first person accounts available to him for this project. I'll be interested to hear your perspective on this book.
There is nothing wrong with the non-Jewish perspective, since 90% of the people in nazi Germany were non-Jews living under Hitler's tyranny, and they also have (seldom heard) stories to be told about what their lives were like.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumchick34 View Post
I just started reading World War Z by Max Brooks and I am liking it a lot so far!
Loved the book and got into the entire genre because of it. If you have a Kindle you can get a lot of first-time authors that write about Z apoc and the books are rather short, not extremely well edited, but as exciting as all get out and only cost 99¢.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

In the Garden of the Beasts is one of the best nonfiction books I have read in a long time. I really did not care for Devil in the White City. As a book reviewer for the local newspaper I specialize in Jewish history and read everything that comes out dealing with this. But I decided to read In the Garden of the Beasts because I wondered what the issues were in the US in the 30s and beyond. I wondered who our ambassador was and what he was dealing with in Germany at the time. The fact that the ambassador was a college professor with no political background and not a part of the good ol' boy gang in the foreign service was of interest to me. This is the first thing we learn in the book and so I'm not giving away any secrets. It drives me crazy when people do that.

I highly recommend it. I think it will go down in history as one of the best books written on the subject.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
On a lighter note, I am just half-way through Gil McNeil's "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club" and enjoying the author's light humor and kindly handling of her characters. The protagonist is a young widow whose departed spouse was about to depart for another woman, so there is no dreary mourning parts. She's got two young boys, and I am not really into the kid thing (DH and I are our own kids), but she doesn't sugar coat hers and they are as humorous in their boys will be boys as her other characters.

It's the nice, light read I was looking for to offset some of the heavier themes I touched earlier.

I also realize while reading her how I appreciate authors that are nice to their characters and their readers. As I've grown older, I've come to realize how valuable nice actually is in life. (It's an appreciation I hope some of the OTHER forums' participants could learn....)

Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
In the Garden of the Beasts is one of the best nonfiction books I have read in a long time. I really did not care for Devil in the White City. As a book reviewer for the local newspaper I specialize in Jewish history and read everything that comes out dealing with this. But I decided to read In the Garden of the Beasts because I wondered what the issues were in the US in the 30s and beyond. I wondered who our ambassador was and what he was dealing with in Germany at the time. The fact that the ambassador was a college professor with no political background and not a part of the good ol' boy gang in the foreign service was of interest to me. This is the first thing we learn in the book and so I'm not giving away any secrets. It drives me crazy when people do that.

I highly recommend it. I think it will go down in history as one of the best books written on the subject.
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't read any reviews of the book but, when JTUR mentioned it, I wondered how Larson portrayed some of Dodd's ingrained attitudes and his Nazi contact's impressions of him. I also wondered if it reads like a biography or not. Might have to add this to my ever-expanding to-read pile.

Mayberry - if you're still in that mood, you might like The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which I mentioned in a post a few pages back. It wasn't my thing at the time but it is a quick, light read with some feel-good and whimsy to it.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I started listening to Samuel Beckett's "Molloy" on my Zune this morning while working out a quilted sleeve for my laptop, and it is an absolute delight! I don't think I could read it, with all the digressions and asides, but the reader is doing a great job of it.

Molloy, by Samuel Beckett

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Just finished "Angelas Ashes"

Now reading:

"The Road"
"Anna Katerina"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books