Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I read and thoroughly enjoyed/loved his other book PREDICTABLY IRRATIONAL It was excellent..Amazon.com: Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions (9780061353246): Dan Ariely: Books
I think I had reco mmended it way back when on these forums as well. He has a great way of telling the story and explaining it.
Thanks for the thanks, you're welcome.
This one was his 3rd, I've read his 2 previous books (The Upside of Irrationality was the 2nd and Predictably Irrational was the 1st).
The broad topic area of motivation (not our declarative beliefs, but our implicit workings) really draws me in. There are so many books I could recommend (and you may well know of already, such as Malcolm Gladwell & the like), but that would be "off-topic" & there are probably other threads I should instead contribute to about this...
However...one more I'd give big props to is "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. Took me a month (nearly 500 pgs.) to read & take notes on (my big project this past spring)-exhausting but worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Midge - thanks for sharing your take on In the Garden of the Beasts. BTW, I share your Virginia/south opinion and thought Confederates in the Attic was a good read. I feel like something's on the tip of my brain as a recommendation for you but it's not coming to me right now - will let you know if it makes it!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations of non-fiction books that read like Midnight? They don't have to be Southern-based, they just have to tell stories of people who live in a town or a region.
I, too, enjoyed "Midnight" though it's been so many years ago now that I don't remember as much as I would like. I thought the movie based on the book was also quite good. (Directed by Clint Eastwood in 1997)

As for regional writings, I "Googled" the phase: "Books set in South Carolina" and got the following link in the results, which is handy because we both use Goodreads:
Books Set in South Carolina

I don't know how to access it through the Goodreads interface, but I also did the same search with other locations, like "Italy" and it worked each time.

Happy reading.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times
The Dog Stars - Peter Heller. a beautifully written post apocalyptic novel. I thought this book was superb!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Midge - thanks for sharing your take on In the Garden of the Beasts. BTW, I share your Virginia/south opinion and thought Confederates in the Attic was a good read. I feel like something's on the tip of my brain as a recommendation for you but it's not coming to me right now - will let you know if it makes it!
I hope you think of it - I'm sure it's a great suggestion! Thanks for thinking of me!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I, too, enjoyed "Midnight" though it's been so many years ago now that I don't remember as much as I would like. I thought the movie based on the book was also quite good. (Directed by Clint Eastwood in 1997)

As for regional writings, I "Googled" the phase: "Books set in South Carolina" and got the following link in the results, which is handy because we both use Goodreads:
Books Set in South Carolina

I don't know how to access it through the Goodreads interface, but I also did the same search with other locations, like "Italy" and it worked each time.

Happy reading.
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll have to check out the link. I also want to watch the move of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to see how it compares with the book. I caught a few snippets of the movie when my husband was watching it on tv once and saw that John Cusack and Kevin Spacey are in it, and I like them both!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading Gone Girl and understand why everyone says it's a page-turner. It's not a genre I usually read, but I do appreciate how it's put together and will keep reading to see the twists everyone is talking about.

I'm also expecting 4 books through Paperback Swap: The Blackest Bird by Joel Rose; Track of the Cat, by Nevada Barr (both of which I chose based on C-D recs); Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester.

I love to think about the books making their way through the mail to me.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I finished Ella Minnow Pea last night and started Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished Ella Minnow Pea last night and started Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood.
Can you give a quick review of Ella M? I've got it on my to read list and was wondering....

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Rumor of War, Phillip Caputo. Intense. You have to be in the mood to read it for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books