Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Midge--
I ADORED Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil...pretty much my favorite book (and I read it way back when)..... so happy to see someone else discovering it and loving it too.
I remember also reading some books by Rick Bragg- in particular "All over but the Shoutin" which was wonderful (yes, set in the south) and he wrote some a few others that I read and enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Debbie MacComber's "The Shop on Blossom Street"

This is the book I thought I was starting, when I started Gil McNeil's "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club" -- so much for my attention to details!

So far, I am thinking I like the Beach Street book better, but it's really too soon to say.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Midge--
I ADORED Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil...pretty much my favorite book (and I read it way back when)..... so happy to see someone else discovering it and loving it too.
I remember also reading some books by Rick Bragg- in particular "All over but the Shoutin" which was wonderful (yes, set in the south) and he wrote some a few others that I read and enjoyed.
Yes! to the Garden of Good and Evil. Definitely agree.
And Yes! to All Over but the Shoutin'. What a FABULOUS book, by FAR my favorite of his "trilogy" (for lack of a better word). Midge, you'd love All Over but the Shoutin'. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't think it's a terrific (true) story.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 AM

I just finished In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White. It's a memoir of a man who went to prison for a year, for a white-collar crime. The prison doubles as a colony for leprosy patients. I was leery about reading the book, but it turned out to be very good. The author formed some exquisite relationships, both with fellow inmates and with leprosy patients. He says that he didn't become a different person, but he knows the type of person he'd like to become. Very touching and highly recommended.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
dand and lookin you should read the book "Heading out to wonderful " by robert goolick and if you have not read his other one please do so as well it is titled "The Reliable Wife " that was an awesome book as well . You ladies should read these two books .

Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
He says that he didn't become a different person, but he knows the type of person he'd like to become.
Sounds to me that he's found something in himself he didn't know was there, and doesn't yet have confidence in its manifesting into his external life. With an observation like that, I am guessing it will.

Glad you are back, Dawn.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I am starting The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon.

It's a revisionist history and I really don't generally like that genre but the murder noir along with the Holocaust survivers' resettlement in Sitka, Alaska is just too fine to pass up. I like this author. He wrote The Wonder Boys which is a true delight.

Chabon's plots are always excellent but the real genius of the author is his verbiage between characters. This fellow is an exceptional writer. Let me see if I can come up with some more adjectives for him. Well.....he's cute and anyone with the name of "Chabon" has to be a cool person, right.....although "Chagall" would be even better but then the reader would expect colorful paintings in the books.

I'll get back to y'all on this.......

Old 09-15-2012, 04:37 PM

None of my library holds were ready for me (ha! after all that "worry") so I just started one of the many, many, many unread books on my Kindle: People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry. So many of you have talked well of it, so here I go...

Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
"Now is the Time to Open your Heart" by Alice Walker. This is the first book by her I have read. I'm only into about chapter 3 or 4 so I can't really say if I like it. So far it's OK.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
"Now is the Time to Open your Heart" by Alice Walker. This is the first book by her I have read. I'm only into about chapter 3 or 4 so I can't really say if I like it. So far it's OK.
Totally off-topic, but I wanted to tell you that I absolutely LOVE your state. We went to Portland first. We spent two days there but could have easily spent a full week. The port area was amazing! Downtown was so vibrant. Just a fabulous city. Then we went to Ogunquit, which could have been tacky-touristy, but it wasn't! It was artsy and funky and just incredible. We're definitely going back to Maine sometime to explore some more. When we get to Bangor, I'll knock on your door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books