Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

I started (and have almost finished) No Easy Day by Mark Owen - the story of the killing of bin Laden. I'm not sure it is worth the money on the basis of the writing. It may be worth the money to some on the basis of a historical document. The writing has no depth to it at all - it's a very straight-forward story. There's no atmosphere to speak of, no back story. Just a flat kind of book. I don't think I have learned any state secrets either. Wait - there are apparently such things as bone phones. But since you can buy them on the internet, I don't think it's any ah ha moment. For all I know, I'm the last person in the world to know there are bone phones.

I'll be glad when I'm done the book and can move onto something more interesting. Now on to all the work I've been procrastinating all week - yes, all last week - because I seem to have the flu. Or maybe a SEAL bodychecked me and I've lost all memory of it, retaining only the body pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The first 3/4 were interesting enough and fairly suspenseful, but then it felt like the author got lost and just burped out an ending. It seemed like the end was written by somebody else. Oh well.
I've encountered it often, and each time it's a fresh disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I live in a medium sized Gulf Coast town and all I could think when I was in Portland was "Why doesn't our waterfront look like this?" Hope to return sometime.
I loved Portland, but I loved the Gulf, too. Nowhere else have I ever experienced that water color and that light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
For all I know, I'm the last person in the world to know there are bone phones.
Bone phone? I don't think you are the last.

I'm starting to get caught up in the Debbie MacComber "The Shop on Blossom Street," but I do wish she did more showing and less telling. There is a difference between watching a dance, or being told how to dance.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm starting to get caught up in the Debbie MacComber "The Shop on Blossom Street," but I do wish she did more showing and less telling. There is a difference between watching a dance, or being told how to dance.
I am finding that this is my number one gripe with a lot of books I have read in the last few years. The last two books I read were like that. It's really annoying.

Those books were "One Second After" by William Forstchen and "Some Kind of Fairy Tale" by Graham Joyce.

If you have ever attended a City Council meeting, you will have the essence of "One Second After." It was almost all talk, with the main characters sitting around in, yes, a city or town council type meeting, discussing how to deal with the crisis of the book, an EMP (electro magnetic pulse) which has fried all electronics in the U.S. Even when it comes to the climax of the book, we are brought into the actual "action" at the end of it, and then are told what happened. Truly terrible book, in my opinion.

In "Some Kind of Fairy Tale," a 15 year old girl disappears for 20 years, then suddenly comes home, curiously appearing to have not aged. She was in a fairy land, where only six months had passed before she came home. Unfortunately, we again don't get to experience her adventure as it happens, we hear about it in flashbacks, when she is telling others what happened. Aside from that, the book started off well, but as in so many others I've read lately, it just fell flat for me after a while, and I didn't like the ending at all.

Now I'm reading "Cover Her Face" by P. D. James, the first Adam Dalgliesh murder mystery. I've read some of the later books, and this one is starting well. After that, I've downloaded "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith, I hope it's good.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I am finding that this is my number one gripe with a lot of books I have read in the last few years. The last two books I read were like that. It's really annoying.

Those books were "One Second After" by William Forstchen and "Some Kind of Fairy Tale" by Graham Joyce.

If you have ever attended a City Council meeting, you will have the essence of "One Second After." It was almost all talk, with the main characters sitting around in, yes, a city or town council type meeting, discussing how to deal with the crisis of the book, an EMP (electro magnetic pulse) which has fried all electronics in the U.S. Even when it comes to the climax of the book, we are brought into the actual "action" at the end of it, and then are told what happened. Truly terrible book, in my opinion.

In "Some Kind of Fairy Tale," a 15 year old girl disappears for 20 years, then suddenly comes home, curiously appearing to have not aged. She was in a fairy land, where only six months had passed before she came home. Unfortunately, we again don't get to experience her adventure as it happens, we hear about it in flashbacks, when she is telling others what happened. Aside from that, the book started off well, but as in so many others I've read lately, it just fell flat for me after a while, and I didn't like the ending at all.

Now I'm reading "Cover Her Face" by P. D. James, the first Adam Dalgliesh murder mystery. I've read some of the later books, and this one is starting well. After that, I've downloaded "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith, I hope it's good.

I agree about One Second After. I couldn't finish it. One of the all-time worst books I've ever read. My thoughts were that the so-called 'good guys' in this book were Stephen King's 'bad guys' in The Stand. I think the book caters to the very narrow view of some survivalist types.

Finished the No Easy Day book. The action picks up a bit when they shoot bin Laden but it really wasn't worth the read for me.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
OMG !!! I opened that book titled "Unsaid " , Im on chapter three and this book is so awesome I want to pee myself LOL !!! I am not kidding this book grabbed me from the first page . A friend of mine told me about this book and I am so glad i got it , borrowed it from the library . Jeeze I have not read one like this one in a long time yowzers I will finish this book by tommorow or wed I can guarantee you that . take care all going back to the book ...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I would think even the character's telling what happened would be an improvement!

MacComber has provided four characters with enough texture to engage me, but then she narrates what they are feeling, or why.

One character is struggling with trying to get pregnant, and rather than having her voice her frustrations to one of her support members -- where I could actually get a sense of her as well as understand her feelings, the author tells us about her feelings and that she's discussed it with the support group.

Some day when I grow up and write a book it will be perfect!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
OMG !!! I opened that book titled "Unsaid " , Im on chapter three and this book is so awesome I want to pee myself LOL !!!
Yowzers! How can you NOT read it, after that? I reserved my copy.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree about One Second After. I couldn't finish it. One of the all-time worst books I've ever read. My thoughts were that the so-called 'good guys' in this book were Stephen King's 'bad guys' in The Stand. I think the book caters to the very narrow view of some survivalist types.
The more I think about your comment about "The Stand," the more I agree.

Spoiler
I mean, the scene in the drugstore? Attacking the one guy for demanding drugs, then hogging all the insulin for himself? ARGGHHHH!!! And many more things like that.

Quote:
I would think even the character's telling what happened would be an improvement!
Nope, not really.

Quote:
MacComber has provided four characters with enough texture to engage me, but then she narrates what they are feeling, or why.

One character is struggling with trying to get pregnant, and rather than having her voice her frustrations to one of her support members -- where I could actually get a sense of her as well as understand her feelings, the author tells us about her feelings and that she's discussed it with the support group.
I know!!!! Stuff like that seems to be so common now!! It really bugs me.

Quote:
Some day when I grow up and write a book it will be perfect!
Well, of course.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,022 times

Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times
Right now, I'm reading:

Beauty's Release (Anne Rice)
The Red Queen (Philippa Gregory)
Fifty Shades Darker (E.L. James)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books