Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times

Advertisements

I'm halfway through "In the Garden of the Beasts" -- Erik Larson which was recommended here. A very interesting and chilling account of Hitler's rise to power in Germany. How could we not have known that he was a monster? So many heads in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I am finding that this is my number one gripe with a lot of books I have read in the last few years. The last two books I read were like that. It's really annoying.

Those books were "One Second After" by William Forstchen and "Some Kind of Fairy Tale" by Graham Joyce.

If you have ever attended a City Council meeting, you will have the essence of "One Second After." It was almost all talk, with the main characters sitting around in, yes, a city or town council type meeting, discussing how to deal with the crisis of the book, an EMP (electro magnetic pulse) which has fried all electronics in the U.S. Even when it comes to the climax of the book, we are brought into the actual "action" at the end of it, and then are told what happened. Truly terrible book, in my opinion.

In "Some Kind of Fairy Tale," a 15 year old girl disappears for 20 years, then suddenly comes home, curiously appearing to have not aged. She was in a fairy land, where only six months had passed before she came home. Unfortunately, we again don't get to experience her adventure as it happens, we hear about it in flashbacks, when she is telling others what happened. Aside from that, the book started off well, but as in so many others I've read lately, it just fell flat for me after a while, and I didn't like the ending at all.
I think that's what makes Cormac McCarthy such a powerful author. He only shows and never tells. He can create such atmosphere with just dialogue.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
OMG !!! I opened that book titled "Unsaid " , Im on chapter three and this book is so awesome I want to pee myself LOL !!! I am not kidding this book grabbed me from the first page . A friend of mine told me about this book and I am so glad i got it , borrowed it from the library . Jeeze I have not read one like this one in a long time yowzers I will finish this book by tommorow or wed I can guarantee you that . take care all going back to the book ...
What's the premise and who is the author?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
What's the premise and who is the author?
The author is Neil Abramson and the book is about death and how differently people and animals deal with it i guess you could say . It was a wonderful book but I warn all of you have plenty of tissue because this book will really get the tears flowing . But all in all one of the best books I have read in a long time .

Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The author is Neil Abramson and the book is about death and how differently people and animals deal with it i guess you could say . It was a wonderful book but I warn all of you have plenty of tissue because this book will really get the tears flowing . But all in all one of the best books I have read in a long time .
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Especially if I'm needing a good cry.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I got to 60% of People Who Eat Darkness and I just had to stop. It was just too awful of a story. I don't deal well with that sort of thing and it's a wonder that I got 60% into the book, except that that's where the explanation of the violations started and I just started feeling too sick to read on.

I'm going to start a Kindle Daily Deal that I got a week or so ago: Night Swim by Jessica Keener.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I just started the latest Jack Reacher book--A Wanted Man by Lee Child.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I got 60% into the book, except that that's where the explanation of the violations started and I just started feeling too sick to read on.
I'm telling you Girlfriend, you need to do more fluff and feel good reading!

Speaking of which, I've got to give Debbie MacComber credit, she may be doing a lot more telling than showing, and I would still rather learn about her characters through their actions and conversations, but she HAS hooked me into "The Shop on Blossom Street" and I have reserved another one of her (later) works -- hoping her style is a bit more evolved.

Sixty percent through... and reading more often.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm telling you Girlfriend, you need to do more fluff and feel good reading!
I don't do fluff any better than rape and torture, but I do need some feel good stuff. That said, I don't think Night Swim is much of that either. We'll see, though. I haven't started it yet.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Alrighty then... Night Swim is NOT happening. I think it was written for a child. It's that bad. And the characters are barely introduced -- they just appear.

I don't know what I'll read next. Maybe The Sea by John Banville. Maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books