Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 PM

229 posts, read 423,703 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch right no. It's okay so far. A few I really love are Sacajewa by Anna Lee Waldo, Chesapeake by James Michner, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer. Too many more to get into. But those are some of my faves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
For Jeremy's last birthday, I bought him stock in Zynga (the makers of Words With Friends). This stock has since tanked to the point where we probably owe THEM money! Ha!

I should have bought him stock in Amazon instead.
You should have! I always say we should have bought stock in Kleenex or Puffs since we are a family with allergies.

I decided to read some cheesy romance I downloaded for free on the Kindle app a while ago. I like Any Bitter Thing but I think I need to set it aside for now.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,966 times
Recently finished Her Fearful Symmetry.

Reading - The Bride Collector, Born to Kvetch, & a re-read of to Kill a Mockingbird

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Recently finished Her Fearful Symmetry.

Reading - The Bride Collector, Born to Kvetch, & a re-read of to Kill a Mockingbird
I have The Bride Collector and have decided to give it a shot since someone else is reading it.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.
Excellent Author, excellent book.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.
Excellent Author, excellent book.
If you love Steinbeck, you have to read his "Tortilla Flat." We listened to it on a long drive over a two week camping trip, and couldn't stop. It was great.

As for me, I thought my recreational reading was over for awhile, but then learned one of my reservations came available, so now I have Neil Abramson's "Unsaid." I forget who recommended it, but I am hoping it's not a difficult read because I've got a stack of textbooks here that is scaring the crap out of me!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,188 times
Right now I'm reading Jack of Ravens by Mark Chadbourn. So far I like it

Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
...I have Neil Abramson's "Unsaid." I forget who recommended it, but I am hoping it's not a difficult read because I've got a stack of textbooks here that is scaring the crap out of me!
Yeah, I am dropping this one and going to hit those books, instead. I just cannot read a story that has me weeping at the sadness in the first chapter.

That said, Abramson's story premise and lead in is very compelling. The fact that the narrator is dead lends a perspective to the story I've not encountered before. I just cannot stomach the cruelties described.

So, Auditing it is!

(See you guys in December! )

Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am dropping this one and going to hit those books, instead. I just cannot read a story that has me weeping at the sadness in the first chapter.

That said, Abramson's story premise and lead in is very compelling. The fact that the narrator is dead lends a perspective to the story I've not encountered before. I just cannot stomach the cruelties described.

So, Auditing it is!

I had seen this book listed on Amazon a while ago and read the synopsis. I knew just from that little blurb that this was not a book for me, either.

Good luck with your studying. Take some breaks and come back to chat once in a while, OK? Even if you're not reading for pleasure, come back to see what others are reading so that you can make yourself a list of stuff to read once the pressure's off.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:

So, Auditing it is!

That would be me that reccomended it and I told you to have a stack of tissues waiting for you !!! LOL !!! It is definately a book that if you need a good cry this is the book for you and if you can get past your tears def read it !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books