Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I finished In the Garden of Beasts. I usually avoid reading about second World War - I did a lot of reading about the Holocaust years ago and got my fill of it then. How I feel about the book is summarized by the writer's afterword when he says, "What I did not realize as I ventured into those dark days of Hitler's role was how much the darkness would infiltrate my won soul."

I lived in east Germany not long after the Wall came down and the oppressive atmosphere described in the book of Nazi Germany, was still very much present then in eastern Germany. In fact there were neo-Nazis roaming the streets on a regular basis and little old ladies would step off the sidewalk and onto the street when they came marching down. I marched straight through them and forced them onto the street. I figured I would whack them with my purse if push came to shove and just try me.

After that I needed something frivolous and I read The Third Gate by Lincoln Child. Nothing exceptional. Didn't require any thought. A caesura before resuming Doc by Mary Doria Russell, which is just an excellent book. I'm about halfway through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,087 times
Deliberate Deceptions: Facing the facts about the US/Israeli relationship

Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
About five minutes after I'd given up on The Sea by John Banville -- my gosh! were the reviewers ever right! Booker Prize or not, this is one boring book! -- the mail arrived. My friend in NYC, the one who works for the big-name publishing house, had sent me The Light Between Oceans (by M.L. Stedman). I don't know if it'll be good, but it can't be worse.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM

301 posts, read 823,323 times
Working my way thru all of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries. I was in the mood for a good cozy Miss Marple-style mystery and these fit the bill - wonderfully fun reads! Makes me want to find my own Three Pines to move to, except the murder-rate really is horrendous in those quaint little villages - lol!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Um. Uh. The Light Between Oceans is such far-fetched, ridiculous fiction. Such a silly, silly story really. I'm shocked that it got such fabulous reviews. I'm already 100 pages in and the book is only about 350 pages and the three books that I'm on hold for at the library aren't available yet (yes, Pinetreelover, The Language of Flowers is one of them), so I'll finish this book. At least it's an easy read, unlike The Sea. Oh, the dreaded sea. And the dreaded ocean. I'm clearly not a water lover.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
I am reading Fifty Shades of Grey.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Um. Uh. The Light Between Oceans is such far-fetched, ridiculous fiction. Such a silly, silly story really. I'm shocked that it got such fabulous reviews. I'm already 100 pages in and the book is only about 350 pages and the three books that I'm on hold for at the library aren't available yet (yes, Pinetreelover, The Language of Flowers is one of them), so I'll finish this book. At least it's an easy read, unlike The Sea. Oh, the dreaded sea. And the dreaded ocean. I'm clearly not a water lover.
I lied. I can't finish The Light Between Oceans. It's just too ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I lied. I can't finish The Light Between Oceans. It's just too ridiculous.
Thanks and i will cancel this one I have on hold at the library . take care girl and have fun .

Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Thanks and i will cancel this one I have on hold at the library . take care girl and have fun .
You might enjoy the escape of it. Personally, most of the time I just can't connect to a story that I don't believe could have happened easily in reality. It got very good reviews, so obviously many others did enjoy it. Give it a shot if you haven't already canceled your hold... just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that it's not someone else's great read.

Have a happy Sunday!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I already canceled my hold im also reading one that you might like it is called "Clover Adams " one of my pen pals reccomended it and so far it is good and it draws you in .. I really do like it so far so I will let you know if I finish it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books