Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM

305 posts, read 553,351 times

Advertisements

"No Easy Day" Mark Owen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
While I wait for all of my library Kindle holds, I *finally* started on The Secrets of Mary Bowser. It's historical fiction. Mary Bowser is a real person, the story is real.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
"The Professor and the Madman", and I'm loving it, can't put it down. What a delight to read. Thanks, Marlow, for suggesting it.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"The Professor and the Madman", and I'm loving it, can't put it down. What a delight to read. Thanks, Marlow, for suggesting it.
I really enjoyed that one many years ago and sort of regret having decided to re-home it when I made the big cross country move.

You might also consider The Mother Tongue: English and How it got That Way by Bill Bryson.

I just finished Little Boy Blue by Kim Kavin. The author adopted a rescue dog that came out of a high kill shelter in NC. Some medical issues prompted her to try and find out more about him and she wound up learning a lot about the world of rescuing dogs from high kill shelters in the rural south. Since she is a journalist she decided to write about it. I would recommend it if you have an interest in such things, although I was disappointed that certain aspects of rescue got no mention at all and I thing they are important for the public to know about - especially free transport of dogs done by thousands of volunteers every weekend, all over the country. Her dog came to NJ via a paid transport business.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
"No Easy Day" Mark Owen
I have that on my shelf to read later...looks good.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
finished Still Alice- I went over to Caregiving and health to recommend it. having a mother who died of dementia I found it interesting and really helpful.
started reading To Kill and Mockingbird to my 10 yo girls
reading Professor and the Madman

I have to be very careful about what I subject myself to both in movies and reading. Why put myself thru so much uncomfortable emotional turmoil?

I download almost every freebie or .99cent Kindle daily special and am working my way through them. If I get a way into it and it just doesn't do anything for me I quit and go on to something else.
Started in on some Australian Lady Detective murder mysteries. sorry can't remember them right now and that was kind of fun but the almost foreign language really had me stopping to check the dictionary too frequently. Still I learned something and innocuous murder mystery without too much blood and gore but heavy on detective work are enjoyable to me.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
About halfway through "Mortality" by Christopher Hitchens. Excellent!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
While I wait for all of my library Kindle holds, I *finally* started on The Secrets of Mary Bowser. It's historical fiction. Mary Bowser is a real person, the story is real.
I'll tell you what I don't like about this Mary Bowser story. I'm at page 186 (out of about 460 pages) and she's just too... too... perfect. She never seems to say or do anything wrong. And everything just seems to fall together so perfectly. I don't know -- maybe that's how it actually happened -- but I'm finding it too picture-perfect. I'll keep reading it but I suspect that when one of my library Kindle holds come due, if I'm still reading this story, that I'll drop it.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
finished Still Alice- I went over to Caregiving and health to recommend it. having a mother who died of dementia I found it interesting and really helpful.
started reading To Kill and Mockingbird to my 10 yo girls
reading Professor and the Madman
Y'all are probably both farther along in it than I am. I've been burning the candle at both ends so I fall in bed, read 5 pages and can't hold my eyes open any more. Glad you're liking it and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Kudzu, yay for reading TKaM to your girls! My mom gave me the book when I was about that age. I remember that the first few times I read it, the story of the kids and Boo Radley was the most important and the trial seemed like an afterthought. As I got older and reread it, I realized that the story of Atticus representing the man accused of rape was the "real" story. I'm sure I've read it a dozen times.

I am going to put Still Alice on my TBR list. My mom is suffering from advance dementia so I'm sure I'll be able to learn something from it.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Y'all are probably both farther along in it than I am. I've been burning the candle at both ends so I fall in bed, read 5 pages and can't hold my eyes open any more. Glad you're liking it and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Kudzu, yay for reading TKaM to your girls! My mom gave me the book when I was about that age. I remember that the first few times I read it, the story of the kids and Boo Radley was the most important and the trial seemed like an afterthought. As I got older and reread it, I realized that the story of Atticus representing the man accused of rape was the "real" story. I'm sure I've read it a dozen times.

I am going to put Still Alice on my TBR list. My mom is suffering from advance dementia so I'm sure I'll be able to learn something from it.
I think that I mentioned to you that I added myself to the The Professor and the Madman waiting list at my library. Thanks for the rec.

As for Still Alice, it's a profound book. It reads like a novel -- it IS a novel -- but you get something out of it that feels so much like non-fiction. I had lent my copy out and never got it back, and had been looking for a used copy every time I'd go into a thrift shop. (I could have ordered a copy from Amazon, but this felt like a fun hunt... until it started getting less fun because I never got the prize.) I finally realized that the publisher is the company that a friend of mine works for, so she sent me a copy. It's one of the few books that I really DO plan on rereading. (My husband is currently reading it.) Two of my grandparents had Alzheimer's and it's interesting (and also sad, I won't lie to you) to finally understand what they might have been feeling in its early stages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books