Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

well I picked up a copy of the proffesor and the madman at the library this afternoon and also started reading her fearful symmetry by the lady who wrote the time travelers wife . It is good so far and I hope I like it .. well anyways will come back here when I finish both the books and let you know what I thought of them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Vol 1) by Linda Andrews.

It's about dealing with a world wide pandemic. So far it is a good read.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Dandj - if you haven't read these two books, I think you would like them - Cavedweller and Bastard out of Carolina, both by Dorothy Allison. I like Cavedweller best of the two but both are very, very good books. They are like a cross between Fall on Your Knees and Pat Conroy.

You know, because of your to-read lists you have convinced me not to ever get a Kindle . I can totally see myself downloading books (or whatever it is you do) that I might like, only to never get around to them. I buy stinkers sometimes but I think maybe when one is buying an actual book, one is more careful???? With a Kindle, I would have hundreds more of unread books, I think.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Vol 1) by Linda Andrews.

It's about dealing with a world wide pandemic. So far it is a good read.
Linda Andrews - now why does that name sound familiar? It sounds interesting. I'm going to check it out.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Dandj - if you haven't read these two books, I think you would like them - Cavedweller and Bastard out of Carolina, both by Dorothy Allison. I like Cavedweller best of the two but both are very, very good books. They are like a cross between Fall on Your Knees and Pat Conroy.

You know, because of your to-read lists you have convinced me not to ever get a Kindle . I can totally see myself downloading books (or whatever it is you do) that I might like, only to never get around to them. I buy stinkers sometimes but I think maybe when one is buying an actual book, one is more careful???? With a Kindle, I would have hundreds more of unread books, I think.
You're right about the Kindle. That's why I still have 70+ books on there that I haven't yet read. You'd have THOUSANDS.

But, in truth, I have a bigger problem than that: good recommendations from you. I just ordered the two books that you suggested. They sound totally up my alley -- thank you for thinking of me. I got them in paper because BOTH copies (used) would cost me less than a Kindle purchase of either one of them.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm biding my time until something better gets here -- either in the mail or from the library waiting lists -- and am reading The Priviliges by Jonathan Dee. Not my typical kind of book, and I have far better literature that is still unread on my Kindle, but I wanted something short and easy.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Eliot Pattinson mystery books - so far I've read three in the "Inspector Shan" series about a Chinese man sentenced to a gulag in Tibet. Not the easiest books to read, as you know (based on current politics) it can't turn out well for the Tibetan or Uighur or Kazakh characters. The descriptions of the landscapes and characters and Buddhist rituals are beautiful, though.

The author has another series, set in the American colonies, about a Scottish character in the French and Indian Wars that looks interesting and yet another book that is a "postapocalyptic" mystery novel. An author with a wide variety of interests....

Eliot Pattison | Ashes of the Earth | Post-Apocalyptic Novel

Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I've read all of these books, and Cavedweller was my favorite one too.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just downloaded Beloved, Marlow.I'll let you know what I think of it. Thanks for the rec.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:48 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
Just started "The Blue Bistro" by Elin Hilderbrand. Love her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books