Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I am about 1/4 into it and I'm disappointed. I'm not sure I will finish it. The main problem is that I have not started to like any of the characters yet. I hope that is about to change because I really want to love this book.
I had no desire to read it, but I happened to notice the reviews of it on Amazon and it seems like you're in good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,276,428 times
Quote:
I'm reading The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I am about 1/4 into it and I'm disappointed. I'm not sure I will finish it. The main problem is that I have not started to like any of the characters yet. I hope that is about to change because I really want to love this book.
I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it - I've read a lot of mixed reviews in the major papers and some of them have been pretty devastating. Enough so that I figured I would wait and see what other people had to say before deciding if I want to read it.

I'm also interested in anyone who might be reading Ken Follett's new book, Winter of the World - the review in the local paper slammed the book for being lazy and having no depth. I didn't care all that much for Fall of Giants - in comparison to Pillars of the Earth and the other book that followed that (can't remember the title), I didn't think it was all that great. It was readable for me, but not gripping.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM

29,209 posts, read 14,499,786 times
Just finished up the "Wool" series by Hugh Howey. It is a dystopian/ post apoc book. Overall I thought it was pretty good. I think my tastes in reading have really gotten juvenile for my 43 years of age. The past couple of years have been nothing but zombie, post apocolyptic type books that have been drawing me in. Oh well I read for enjoyment , and I enjoy these for the moment.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,667,926 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I may read it, but I won't be in a hurry, I guess. I'm still reading The Professor and the Madman. I discovered the first season of Revenge on Netflix and it's cutting into my reading time. Sometimes you just gotta love a mindless soap opera. Or at least I do.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,725,237 times
sea change by karen white
really liking it!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Netwit called it -- I'm having a problem reading again. Feh! It's not the books, I know that. It's ME.

I was loving Missing Shade of Blue and then, suddenly, it got too philosophical for me. So much philosophy talk. Here, there, everywhere. I just wanted the story, not the philosophy. So I gave up.

Netwit suggested In the Language of Love. I was loving it and I especially liked that it was (kind of) in vignettes so that a continual story wouldn't get lost while I was doing this big work project. Well. The project got delayed and so I read a lot yesterday and today. Actually, I *felt* like I read a lot, but I still have almost 300 pages to go. I had liked, for my work purposes, that it was choppy. Now I feel like it's TOO choppy and I'm not caring what's going on. So I put that one away for another time. I will go back to it -- I like the concept and the characters -- but I'm just not able to lose myself in it right now.

Tomorrow is the release of The Last Night at the Ritz, so that'll be delivered onto my Kindle. I just got The Language of Flowers that Pinetreelover recommended. I also have The Fall by Simon Mawer, which is supposed to be terrific. Some other books are due by USPS (two Dorothy Allison books and The Solitude of Prime Numbers) in the next few days. I'm on the waiting list for Gone Girl (just a few people before me), Beautiful Ruins, Old School, and The End of Your Life Book Club. But I'm afraid to start any of them now. My work project is now delayed until next Wednesday, so I have to have something to read in the meantime, but... ACK! I hate when this happens to me.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,791,021 times
I am reading Creole Belle by James Lee Burke.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM

220 posts, read 281,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Don't forget Bonk ... there is a TED talk about Bonk
Thanks for the link! I definitely want to read Bonk at some point. Spook is going a little slowly for me but I am enjoying it. I snorted quite a bit while reading it before bed due to her footnotes.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just finished up the "Wool" series by Hugh Howey. It is a dystopian/ post apoc book. Overall I thought it was pretty good. I think my tastes in reading have really gotten juvenile for my 43 years of age. The past couple of years have been nothing but zombie, post apocolyptic type books that have been drawing me in. Oh well I read for enjoyment , and I enjoy these for the moment.
I think you and I must be twins who were separated at birth because I am going through the same thing. I enjoyed the Wool series and I went through a lot of zombie books, too. I seem to have swung over to post apoc tales without the zombies in the last few months. I have no idea why all this started but I've been at it for over a year. However, I still read other genres but I like a good post apoc book between the others.

I think there is something about the good guys finding safe places to be, places with water and food and shelter that makes me happy. Plus, I am hooked on The Walking Dead and my interest in finding safety seems to begin with season 1 of that show.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM

220 posts, read 281,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
About 1/3 of the way through "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", and pretty disappointed with it. Just a series of droll anecdotes, something like "Catch 22", and his writing style lacks elegance. It's on a non-fiction shelf at the library, but I have serious doubts about the historical accuracy of the particulars of the lives of the characters, and there are no sourcing footnotes at all.
It's so interesting to find out people's differing feelings towards certain books. I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil recently and LOVED it. BTW, he explains a little about the liberties he took with the book on a page at the end; I was a little disappointed that he took some liberties with chronology but still loved the book nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books