Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

I am up to my eyebrows in homework, but I do take breaks to eat (and knit), and while reading and knitting don't go well together, DH and I both often read while eating.

I am reading "Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure" by Patricia Ellis Herr, and loving it.

Rather than tell you about it, I found this great book trailer on line, and think the author does a better job of the telling than I could.... so:

UP: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure - Book Trailer - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I just finished The Last Night at the Ritz by Elizabeth Savage.

It was so good that I could not put it down and I read it all day long. Retirement is wonderful.
I recommend this one to everyone. The story is excellent, solid, funny and sad. The author is very much into literature and I had to look up a few references along the way but I understood most of them.

The main characters are people we all have known and it harkens back to my days in college when we all thought we were so terribly deep because we quoted Nietzsche and Dylan. That is when the main characters in the book meet.....way back in college and the author takes us right up to today.

This is an excellent book. It's the best I have read in a long time.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Still reading Still Alice...very good

Just downloaded a free kindle book Deadly Stillwater by Roger Stelljes, has good reviews so we shall see.

I had downloaded both the Kindle & Nook apps to my laptop and smart phone to test if I could get into electronic reading, not bad, but what suprises me is many times a book is already out in paperback and the paperback is cheaper than the electronic version!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
The Twelve by Justin Cronin will be released on 10/16/12. Yippee!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Twelve by Justin Cronin will be released on 10/16/12. Yippee!
Me too! I'll be going to the city for it the day it comes out. In the meantime I'm rereading The Passage.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

220 posts, read 282,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

...but what suprises me is many times a book is already out in paperback and the paperback is cheaper than the electronic version!
Yep! I have a Kindle but I seem to buy a lot more physical books than Kindle books because it is a lot cheaper for me to buy the book used and pay for shipping than to buy the book new or on Kindle. I just use the Kindle for free books, books that are new that I really want to read that are cheaper on Kindle than buying the new hardback, books that are about the same price for Kindle as for the new book, and impulse buys. I've had my Kindle for over a year and have probably read only 5 or 6 books on it, but I love having the option of using the Kindle!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Just finished Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly. Very good.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished The Language of Flowers. I definitely enjoyed the first half a lot. I found the second part formulaic but, more than that, I "like" how troubled Victoria was in the first half.

I'm now reading Gone Girl. Can I just say that Gillian Flynn won me over as soon as she started quoting from the movie The Sure Thing?

Quote:
Yeah, Nick. Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car, Nick!
Such a cheesy 1985 movie that I'm *still* quoting, to this day. Ha!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts; it's the fourth time I'm reading it. Before that I was reading the whole Harry Potter series on my NOOK.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
So, yeah, I'm reading Gone Girl. Yup. Totally not my type of book, as I mentioned before. I'm not a fan of thrillers or suspense. The first part of the book, though, was good. The writing was crisp and the story was fast-paced. Late last night I got to the second part of the book. Oh my! The going just got really good! I'm INTO it! Totally, totally INTO it. I definitely NEED to know how this is going to resolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books