Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I'm going to start on The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe. It's going to be good and depressing, I'm sure.
I'm only -- or already? -- 15% in. This is a lovely, lovely book. It's a memoir, written by Will (the son), of the "book club" that he and his mother form during the last part of her life, while she's receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer. Every time they talk about a book, I nod "Yes, that was a fabulous book. I'm glad that they liked it too" or I look it up to see what it's about. (I've already ordered two more books! )

This is such a perfect book for anyone who's loved and lost, for anyone who's loved, and for anyone who loves books.

Sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,521,180 times
The Great Crash, 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM

13,355 posts, read 28,559,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I found a good one to read on my Kindle Fire. "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail", by David Miller. David got tired of working every day in a cubicle. Company wouldn't approve his vacation time to hike the trail so he went anyway.
Pretty good reading.

I like my Kindle Fire HD! lol
You know that sounds interesting, going to look that one up for Kindle

Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,121,372 times
Yesterday I started reading "The Forrest of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan. So far it's good and it's post apocalyptic, described on back cover as "intelligent, dark, and bewitching".

Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM

220 posts, read 280,036 times
Finished Into Thin Air. I thought it was a great book; I didn't ever want to put it down (alas, sometimes I had to.) I heard that some people were upset with Krakauer for writing a book about his experiences but I thought the whole thing was very interesting as I really know next to nothing about mountaineering. I'll tell you what, though, this book left me with mixed emotions. I thought the climbers were brave to tackle Everest but that they were so crazy at the same time. I realize that for some people, the idea of climbing the world's highest peaks is irresistible, but I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I did some googling of "Mount Everest deaths" and although it is morbid, it's also fascinating. I found out that this past May, 4 climbers died while summiting. I also didn't realize that climbers are constantly walking past dead bodies that have been lying there for years. Ewww. Anyway, it was a fascinating book. I'm not sure if I want to read more books on the subject, but I am going to continue googling "Mount Everest deaths." I know, I'm horrible.

Not sure what I'm going to read next; I'll post when I figure it out.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 700 times
Default Love to read

some of my favorite books include:
The Power of your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy
There is a spiritual solution to every problem by Dr. Wayne Dyer.
You can if you think you can by Norman Vincent Peale.
and
Love without end...Jesus Speaks by Glenda Green....

All are thought provoking and UPlifting.
Which is a criteria for books that make me feel good and I feel others would enjoy.

Namaste.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,586,960 times
Blue Collar Blue Scrubs....a surgeons life story from construction to med. school.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,735,401 times
I just started Buried Prey, John Sandford's latest Lucas Davenport novel.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I just finished Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. Thank you for telling me about it, Dawn.

It is lovely. Truly lovely. I had never heard of this author so I researched him. He was and is quite well known and highly regarded. He won a Pulitzer for another novel. I plan to read it.

His writing is quite poetic and full of literary quotes. I had to look up a couple of words. I usually do not have to do that.

Personally, I think this novel should be required reading in high school/college English Lit classes.

Netwit, if you have not read this book then I highly recommend it. I believe you would love it.

Jess5, you would also love it.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. Thank you for telling me about it, Dawn.

It is lovely. Truly lovely. I had never heard of this author so I researched him. He was and is quite well known and highly regarded. He won a Pulitzer for another novel. I plan to read it.

His writing is quite poetic and full of literary quotes. I had to look up a couple of words. I usually do not have to do that.

Personally, I think this novel should be required reading in high school/college English Lit classes.

Netwit, if you have not read this book then I highly recommend it. I believe you would love it.

Jess5, you would also love it.
I have read some of his other books. Wallace Stegner spent some of his childhood years in Eastend, Saskatchewan, and it greatly informed his writing. I have visited his childhood home there. I love that area.

You know, Ketabcha, I think you might like Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O Mitchell, if you haven't read it. It is the Canadian classic, imo. It is a coming-of-age story set in the prairies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books