Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

I will say this -- as my own opinion -- that Crossing to Safety is the BEST of Wallace Stegner. I've read most of his other books but -- again, in MY opinion -- they don't hold a candle to Crossing to Safety. The characters in Crossing to Safety, I thought, were just so REAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I will say this -- as my own opinion -- that Crossing to Safety is the BEST of Wallace Stegner. I've read most of his other books but -- again, in MY opinion -- they don't hold a candle to Crossing to Safety. The characters in Crossing to Safety, I thought, were just so REAL.
Then maybe you would like A Good House by Bonnie Burnard. It won the Giller Prize when it was first published.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Then maybe you would like A Good House by Bonnie Burnard. It won the Giller Prize when it was first published.
Oooh! I read that! I don't remember it, but I remember that I liked it.

Netwit, you really should go back to bed. It's too early for you to be up, babycakes.

Meanwhile, I'm reading The End of Your Life Book Club and I've already bought six books based on what this mother and son read as part of their two-person "club" while she was being treated for cancer. And I'm only half way through the book, so I'm sure there will be even more purchases made before this book is done.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 AM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
slowly reading Veronika Decides to Die ( slowly because I hardly read during the week but it is good and rather humorous)..... I see now I will have to read The End of Your Life Book Club and Crossing to Safety.
Suddenly there are all these books I want to read! I also just realized -duh- that I never read Atlas Shrugged. ( I don't think I ever even held it in my hands) Well I guess I am going to have to give it a try at least........oh yes and Anna Karenina.
Don't mind me I just got all excited reading this forum. now if I can only get myself to read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Oooh! I read that! I don't remember it, but I remember that I liked it.

Netwit, you really should go back to bed. It's too early for you to be up, babycakes.

Meanwhile, I'm reading The End of Your Life Book Club and I've already bought six books based on what this mother and son read as part of their two-person "club" while she was being treated for cancer. And I'm only half way through the book, so I'm sure there will be even more purchases made before this book is done.
Yes, mum. I was awakened by the puppy wanting to kiss the cat all over, and the cat, in an effort to avoid the puppy jumping back and forth from the bed to the dresser, and my older dog needing to poop. Some nights it doesn't seem worth the bother of trying to sleep.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, mum. I was awakened by the puppy wanting to kiss the cat all over, and the cat, in an effort to avoid the puppy jumping back and forth from the bed to the dresser, and my older dog needing to poop. Some nights it doesn't seem worth the bother of trying to sleep.
What!?!? Hang on a minute! How did I not even know that you had a CAT?!?? I know all the dogs -- by name! -- but I didn't even know that a cat existed in your house.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
I finally finished the book that was recommended to me by my librarian. It took me about 50 pages to really get into it. It turned out to be very enjoyable. It is about two brothers bonding with a "little" sci fi addition. It is Basilisk by Rob Thurman.

Being that was the second book in the series I need to go back and read the first book, Chimera.

Yesterday I started reading The Narrows by Michael Connelly. It caught my interest right away. I'm sure I will be finished later today.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Dawn

I added one of your recommendations, Come, Thou Tortoise, to my Amazon Cart so I wouldn't forget it. Yesterday it was over $60.00 today it is down to $22.97. I will see if my library can get it.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Dawn

I added one of your recommendations, Come, Thou Tortoise, to my Amazon Cart so I wouldn't forget it. Yesterday it was over $60.00 today it is down to $22.97. I will see if my library can get it.
Lisa! There's a copy for $4.03 on Amazon. Go get it, sweets!

Look at the list.
Look at the second row "Paperback, Import"
See under the Used column (the last column)? $4.03

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Lisa! There's a copy for $4.03 on Amazon. Go get it, sweets!

Look at the list.
Look at the second row "Paperback, Import"
See under the Used column (the last column)? $4.03

Thanks...I'll check with my libraries first. I have quite the list to read now.

I came across some books that you might also like. They have good reviews. Just more to add to the reading list

The Language of Flowers: A Novel by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Description:
"The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it’s been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning what’s been missing in her life. And when she’s forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it’s worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness."

Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

Description:
"To five-year-old-Jack, Room is the world. . . . It's where he was born, it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it's the prison where she has been held for seven years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But with Jack's curiosity building alongside her own desperation, she knows that Room cannot contain either much longer.

Room is a tale at once shocking, riveting, exhilarating--a story of unconquerable love in harrowing circumstances, and of the diamond-hard bond between a mother and her child."

The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Description:
"One Sunday in the spring of 1988, a woman living on a reservation in North Dakota is attacked. The details of the crime are slow to surface as Geraldine Coutts is traumatized and reluctant to relive or reveal what happened, either to the police or to her husband, Bazil, and thirteen-year-old son, Joe. In one day, Joe's life is irrevocably transformed. He tries to heal his mother, but she will not leave her bed and slips into an abyss of solitude. Increasingly alone, Joe finds himself thrust prematurely into an adult world for which he is ill prepared.

While his father, who is a tribal judge, endeavors to wrest justice from a situation that defies his efforts, Joe becomes frustrated with the official investigation and sets out with his trusted friends, Cappy, Zack, and Angus, to get some answers of his own. Their quest takes them first to the Round House, a sacred space and place of worship for the Ojibwe. And this is only the beginning.

Written with undeniable urgency, and illuminating the harsh realities of contemporary life in a community where Ojibwe and white live uneasily together, The Round House is a brilliant and entertaining novel, a masterpiece of literary fiction. Louise Erdrich embraces tragedy, the comic, a spirit world very much present in the lives of her all-too-human characters, and a tale of injustice that is, unfortunately, an authentic reflection of what happens in our own world today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books