Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times

Advertisements

It sure is good to be back home, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm sorry about the second sentence ....
Goof. You don't ever have to apologize for saying something nice in a rep blop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Hey, I was up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. It's just gorgeous up there.
It is. Next time you are coming let me know. We'll have coffee. This IS the coffee and book center of the world, you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Look at this way, you now have more time to read AND knit!
Funny you should mention that... I happen to be starting my third pair of Tulani slippers tonight!

Quote:
Oh, and just so that everyone is aware, The End of Your Life Book Club caused me to have 12 (TWELVE!!!!) more books on my "to read" list. Some of them I've already bought, and some of them I will buy if my library can't acquire them. Sigh...
Okay, girlfriend... the list, please? Do we have to BEG???

Thanks, friends. YOU are the bestest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Okay, girlfriend... the list, please? Do we have to BEG???
I don't remember which ones, besides The Price of Salt and The Etiquette of Illness, I've already bought, but these are the ones that I will buy if the library doesn't come through for me:

• Continental Drift
• The Lizard Cage
• The Reluctant Fundamentalist (by Mohsin Hamid)
• The Bolter (by Frances Osborne)
• In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
• My Father’s Tears (Updike)

I don't remember the other three and my Kindle is charging in another room.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I haven't been able to find a library locally that can get it for me.

Lucky you.
If you want to wait, you can order it through interlibrary loan. Our library belongs to that system. Just a thought.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
I don't remember which ones, besides The Price of Salt and The Etiquette of Illness, I've already bought, but these are the ones that I will buy if the library doesn't come through for me:

• Continental Drift
• The Lizard Cage
• The Reluctant Fundamentalist (by Mohsin Hamid)
• The Bolter (by Frances Osborne)
• In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
• My Father’s Tears (Updike)

I don't remember the other three and my Kindle is charging in another room.
Hey, no worries. The way you plow through your books, we're going to hear about them soon enough, anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
If you want to wait, you can order it through interlibrary loan. Our library belongs to that system. Just a thought.
I used to use the inter-library loan program all the time. Not so much anymore. Our library system changed "systems" and it is so much more difficult to work with than the former one was... but it did give us new features too. Such is life in this post-modern world.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,558,433 times
Just finished reading this book and it was disturbing knowing how too many high schools put student athletes (especially football players) high up on a pedestal Our Guys: Bernard Lefkowitz: 9780375702693: Amazon.com: Books

Book Description

Release Date: April 28, 1998
In March 1989 a group of teenage boys lured a retarded girl into a basement in Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and gang-raped her. Glen Ridge was the kind of peaceful, affluent suburb many Americans dream about. The rapists were its most popular high school athletes. And although rumors of the crime quickly spread through the town, weeks passed before anyone saw fit to report it to the police. What made these boys capable of brutalizing a girl that some of them had known since childhood? Why did so many of their elders deny the rape and rally around its perpetrators? To solve this riddle, the Edgar award-winning author Bernard Lefkowitz conducted years of research and more than two hundred interviews. The result is not just a wrenching story of crime and punishment, but a hauntingly nuanced portrait of America's jock culture and the hidden world of unrestrained adolescent sexuality.

A Los Angeles Times Prize Finalist
An Edgar Finalist

Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Thanks. I am in a very small town and my two libraries that I use, one in each state, only have about 10 libraries on their loan program. I'll try when I am in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Just finished reading this book and it was disturbing knowing how too many high schools put student athletes (especially football players) high up on a pedestal
Yes...we have too many "special" people in our society. I would love that kind of book if it was fiction...real life and it ticks me off

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Just finished reading this book and it was disturbing knowing how too many high schools put student athletes (especially football players) high up on a pedestal Our Guys: Bernard Lefkowitz: 9780375702693: Amazon.com: Books

Book Description

Release Date: April 28, 1998
In March 1989 a group of teenage boys lured a retarded girl into a basement in Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and gang-raped her. Glen Ridge was the kind of peaceful, affluent suburb many Americans dream about. The rapists were its most popular high school athletes. And although rumors of the crime quickly spread through the town, weeks passed before anyone saw fit to report it to the police. What made these boys capable of brutalizing a girl that some of them had known since childhood? Why did so many of their elders deny the rape and rally around its perpetrators? To solve this riddle, the Edgar award-winning author Bernard Lefkowitz conducted years of research and more than two hundred interviews. The result is not just a wrenching story of crime and punishment, but a hauntingly nuanced portrait of America's jock culture and the hidden world of unrestrained adolescent sexuality.

A Los Angeles Times Prize Finalist
An Edgar Finalist

they also made a movie about this i saw it on lifetime it starred ally sheedy as an investigator and one of the boys had a father who was one of the local cops and he was covering it up until this investigator got involved ... shame how many parents want to cover things like this up and the first thing they do is get an attorney. I wonder how many we dont hear about huh ?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,961,284 times
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

Anybody else here enjoys reading Dickens? I really like him, like how he draws his characters, how he describes into utter detail the England of the 19th century.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I just finished The Solitude of Prime Numbers. I enjoyed it (sorry, Marlow! ) I really liked how Alice threw herself at people and how Mattia pulled away, and how they were like magnets but really wanted to be with each other through the years. I found the story quite touching and sad.

Next up: Old School by Tobias Wolff. I read his memoir (This Boy's Life) a few years ago, and just came across Old School. It sounds like it's up my alley:

Quote:
The protagonist of Tobias Wolff’s shrewdly—and at times devastatingly—observed first novel is a boy at an elite prep school in 1960. He is an outsider who has learned to mimic the negligent manner of his more privileged classmates. Like many of them, he wants more than anything on earth to become a writer. But to do that he must first learn to tell the truth about himself.

The agency of revelation is the school literary contest, whose winner will be awarded an audience with the most legendary writer of his time. As the fever of competition infects the boy and his classmates, fraying alliances, exposing weaknesses, Old School explores the ensuing deceptions and betrayals with an unblinking eye and a bottomless store of empathy. The result is further evidence that Wolff is an authentic American master.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,227,848 times
The Lost Girls
really good read, would be nice to just drop everything and travel the globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books