Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,505,453 times

Advertisements

I'm reading "Katie, The Real Story" by Edward Klein, which came out in 2007. It's a real hatchet job on this woman. It was almost like he had a personal vendetta against her. Perhaps less than half of what is printed in this book is true - such as the timeline of her jobs and who her boyfriends were, where she lived and who her family is. There is no way this guy could know who sat next to who at family Thanksgiving etc. He quotes conversations that he could not have anyway of knowing "who said what". I really felt this was a big "slam" to Katie Couric. I haven't read any of Kitty Kelly's books but I'm thinking this is the kind of book she would do.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 10-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,609,572 times
I just finished The Innocent by David Baldacci. It was a good read as are all of the books I've read by him so far.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 AM

13,355 posts, read 28,554,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
i finished the second book in the Hunger Games...so good! loved the twists
cant wait to start the third!
IMO the second book was the best of the series...enjoyed all but thought #2 was the best

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,233,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I should be finished The Passage tonight and just in time for the sequel. I'm actually not sure whether I'll go to the city tomorrow or the day after to get it (and some other books). We're supposed to get rain, and there's still so much I have to do on the nice days.
I should also finish The Passage tonight. Go get the new book and let me know how it is I won't be reading that until it comes out at the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just ordered The Twelve. Boris the Kindle and my computer are fighting and I can't download anything. The file becomes corrupted between amazon and my downloads to the computer. I do not have WiFi and so I have had to take a different route to download (Dawn taught me how, bless her.). So I ordered the hardback book. I am looking forward to reading it. Cronin does have an excellent "touch of the writer." So, I know I will not be bored with it.
Good luck with the download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I just finished The Innocent by David Baldacci. It was a good read as are all of the books I've read by him so far.
My SIL loves his books. They sound like my kind of reading but I still have so many authors to read.

I am reading The Passage at night and The Last Detective by Robert Crais while on the treadmill. It's Large Print So far both books are good. The Last Detective is a very fast read.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,472,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...you'd think that I could just plow through, but it's a slog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
... Im having the same trouble lately some books just grab me right from the start and others is a struggle to get through so totally understand what you are talking about.
This is how I can easily have several books going simultaneously, which I hate because then I can start to mix their plots and characters in my head and the next time I pick one of them up I am confused before I've read two pages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
...William Faulkner. I don't know what it is, but I'm having a really hard time with it. I first read The Sound and the Fury and then As I Lay Dying and I loved them both. But then I started Absalom, Absalom! and simply could not finish. Reading it felt like a tedious chore, so I gave up. And now I'm already struggling with The Reivers. I'm not giving up on it just yet, but it's not looking promising.
Anyone that can read more than one Faulkner is deserving of several rep points, so I am encouraging everyone that reads this post to rep it, if you haven't already! "As I lay dying" was enough for me. I tried "Absalom, Absalom" on several different times, and kept getting choked on those first sentences that seemed to last for several pages! I think that man hated his readers and wrote to punish them!

Quote:
I do not have WiFi and so I have had to take a different route to download (Dawn taught me how, bless her.)
I second that! Dawn is "the bomb." (Do "they" still use that term? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I REALLY want some more books but it's supposed to rain the rest of the week. ... We'll see what the day brings.
I hope it brings you books AND rain!

I am the slow poke in the group, and still working on "Dance for the Dead." Young Lisa, if you are hanging out in the eves here, I think you would like this one: strong female protagonist who fights evil and protects the innocent -- and even the "not so innocent." All the twists and turns and surprises wear me out and I have to put it down just to catch my breath and remind myself evil doesn't lurk everywhere!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Quote:
I just ordered The Twelve. Boris the Kindle and my computer are fighting and I can't download anything. The file becomes corrupted between amazon and my downloads to the computer. I do not have WiFi and so I have had to take a different route to download (Dawn taught me how, bless her.). So I ordered the hardback book. I am looking forward to reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I second that! Dawn is "the bomb." (Do "they" still use that term? )
Awwww, I'm blushing. Thanks, ladies!

K, did you try to download it directly from your Kindle at a Wi-Fi spot and it didn't work? Or you just didn't want to be bothered, so you bought the book?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,230,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
i finished the second book in the Hunger Games...so good! loved the twists
cant wait to start the third!
These were SO good - I practically inhaled them.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
Quote:
Awwww, I'm blushing. Thanks, ladies!

K, did you try to download it directly from your Kindle at a Wi-Fi spot and it didn't work? Or you just didn't want to be bothered, so you bought the book?
I keep forgetting to take the kindle with me when I'm out. I should call one of my pals and go over to their place to try downloading. I'm just so lazy.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm reading "Katie, The Real Story" by Edward Klein, which came out in 2007. It's a real hatchet job on this woman. It was almost like he had a personal vendetta against her. Perhaps less than half of what is printed in this book is true - such as the timeline of her jobs and who her boyfriends were, where she lived and who her family is. There is no way this guy could know who sat next to who at family Thanksgiving etc. He quotes conversations that he could not have anyway of knowing "who said what". I really felt this was a big "slam" to Katie Couric. I haven't read any of Kitty Kelly's books but I'm thinking this is the kind of book she would do.
I firmly believe that sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have never been a fan of Katie Couric but I don't dislike her. This book sounds mean. On the subject of Kitty Kelly, I've read several of her books and I actully enjoyed them. She has never been as horrid as Klein. What I like about Kelly are the tales of interactions that her subjects have with various people.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,565,592 times
Quote:
I just finished The Solitude of Prime Numbers. I enjoyed it (sorry, Marlow! ) I really liked how Alice threw herself at people and how Mattia pulled away, and how they were like magnets but really wanted to be with each other through the years. I found the story quite touching and sad.

Next up: Old School by Tobias Wolff. I read his memoir (This Boy's Life) a few years ago, and just came across Old School. It sounds like it's up my alley:
No apology necessary! I'm enjoying Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books