Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I was totally disappointed in The Lacuna and I never finished it. After reading her Poisonwood Bible I just knew The Lacuna would be great but it wasn't.
Under the circumstances, that's perfect! I would hate to love that book right now because my heart is set on The Twelve. Rereading The Passage, I just can't imagine where he will take the story. The Passage really ended quite perfectly, I thought. I wouldn't know where to go from there without ruining the story. I hope he doesn't do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That could very well be, but you've got to understand something: It's not only the story that matters to me but, as an editor, I see things that BUG me in a really big way. I see things that, in a day's work, I get to correct... but because I can't correct a published book, it grates on me more than it does someone who doesn't get the opportunity to make the written word clearer and cleaner.

So, yeah, you're right -- I *am* hard on books. I can't help it, though. I wish that I could take off my editor's cap sometimes and just relax, but I'm not built that way.
I can completely understand that. Even minor errors in books by my favorite authors irritate me. I may not be an editor, but that degree in communications with a minor in English and working as a medical transcriptionist makes me hyper aware of errors too.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dawn, it speaks volumes that you are reading such a book to increase your awareness, but seriously, having gone through the loss, it isn't what people say that means so much, but that they care enough to be present and acknowledge the loss. You've done both.
I would have completely agree with this!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Well, THAT explains EVERYTHING! No WONDER you can read several books a week! You're super human!

HAHAHA!! Super human? Hardly!

Well, I can read PARTS of several books in a week, when I'm being Ms. Nitpicky and don't finish any of them. When I'm totally invested in ONE book -- as it should be -- a book typically takes me about a week, give or take a few days, depending on my workload and the length of a book.

Someone once told me that I should take a speed-reading course, actually, but I don't believe that I could get 100% out of the book that way.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I can completely understand that. Even minor errors in books by my favorite authors irritate me. I may not be an editor, but that degree in communications with a minor in English and working as a medical transcriptionist makes me hyper aware of errors too.
I'm happy that I'm not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I would have completely agree with this!
Thanks, S!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM

You're welcome!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Currently reading a Young Adult book called "The Future of Us" by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. It's a cute story about these two kids in the '90s who get an AOL disc, sign on, and find themselves on their 2010 Facebook pages... love the premise, but the writing is a bit corny! The actual teens reading this might not agree, but those of us who grew up in the '90s would find the constant "retro references" (i.e. "She tied a scrunchie in her hair, put on the latest Oasis CD, and curled up in her papasan chair) a bit silly. Anyway, I need to work on my YA reader's advisory, so at least this will add to my list.

Also, after sitting on the hold list for Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" for over a month, it just came in the other day... so I'll start that one soon, since I only have it for 3 weeks! Will let you know what I think when I'm done.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I am currently reading "Veronika Decides to Die". I might have said "Slogging through" except I don't think that you can slog through a book that is only 240 pages. I'm not sure why this book isn't grabbing me like it did so many of you... There are parts of it that I think are just brilliant, but other parts (Dr. Igor) that are odd bordering on really weird. I am hopeful that in true Paulo Coelho fashion the end surprises and uplifts me, but right now, I'm not so sure.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am currently reading "Veronika Decides to Die". I might have said "Slogging through" except I don't think that you can slog through a book that is only 240 pages. I'm not sure why this book isn't grabbing me like it did so many of you... There are parts of it that I think are just brilliant, but other parts (Dr. Igor) that are odd bordering on really weird. I am hopeful that in true Paulo Coelho fashion the end surprises and uplifts me, but right now, I'm not so sure.
Welcome to my world! I actually have that book on my "to read" list but if I'm still having this problem (the one where I hate every book for reason X, Y, or Z), then I won't bother starting it until I'm cured.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm going to start The Etiquette of Illness by Susan Halpern tonight. I learned about this book while reading The End of Your Life Book Club.

Synopsis of The Etiquette of Illness:

Case in point: About 15 years ago (and I'll never forget it), I had a co-worker friend whose mother had died. At her funeral, my friend thanked me for coming. My response: "My pleasure." Really??? My pleasure???
It is a very awkward thing to have to comfort people when you don't know how to respond. I'm sure your friend just appreciated you being there.

Thanks for the book title. I just ordered it from my library.

Quote:
I am the slow poke in the group, and still working on "Dance for the Dead." Young Lisa, if you are hanging out in the eves here, I think you would like this one: strong female protagonist who fights evil and protects the innocent -- and even the "not so innocent." All the twists and turns and surprises wear me out and I have to put it down just to catch my breath and remind myself evil doesn't lurk everywhere!
Thanks....I also just ordered that from my library.

If I keep reading what all of you reading I may get banned from my library, lol. This morning I ordered the two from above plus Gone Girl, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy..

BTW, Marlow found Come, Thou Tortoise for me at Better World Books. Supposedly the lowest price is from $7.97 but when I go in the lowest price is $65.90. Any idea why that would be?

I also tried Alibris and today it is $9.99. Yesterday it was much less Anyway, has anyone here used Alibris? And?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books