Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,473,806 times
Reputation: 14764

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am looking forward to a book that I will get in the mail today. Some of my CD friends and I created a cookbook I will get a hardcopy today. For anyone who wants to see it you can download it for free The cover of the book is my property.

http://createmycookbook.com/store/sh...666_1347201430

Just click on spiral contents to view the recipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I never knew the site existed. It would be really cool to make a book with family and/or friends. It was fun to do The books up to 100 pages are pretty inexpensive....they get you on the shipping
You Cozy Inn folks are awesome. God bless you for doing something together. That was great. What a fun idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,473,806 times
Reputation: 14764
Just started "The Night Strangers" by Chris Bohjalian and THIS author knows his way around a story... I love his writing. The prologue in this had me hooked in the first sentence. I HAVE TO KNOW what is behind that solid, squat door in the basement, nailed shut with thirty-nine cast carriage bolts.

My first read of his works was "The Double Bind" and it too was a great read. I never saw the end coming -- it fit perfectly, but I was completely blindsided.

Still, he's not infallible. I tried "Before You Know Kindness" which got really great reviews... and stopped in the midst because I just didn't care why the daughter shot him. In this one, I felt he had too many back stories going at the same time, and it was overworked. IMHO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Just started "The Night Strangers" by Chris Bohjalian and THIS author knows his way around a story... I love his writing. The prologue in this had me hooked in the first sentence. I HAVE TO KNOW what is behind that solid, squat door in the basement, nailed shut with thirty-nine cast carriage bolts.

My first read of his works was "The Double Bind" and it too was a great read. I never saw the end coming -- it fit perfectly, but I was completely blindsided.

Still, he's not infallible. I tried "Before You Know Kindness" which got really great reviews... and stopped in the midst because I just didn't care why the daughter shot him. In this one, I felt he had too many back stories going at the same time, and it was overworked. IMHO, of course.
I also tried Before You Know Kindness. What a dud. I didn't get very far.

I think the only one of his books that I read through, and was FANTASTIC (and you should read it), was Midwives. I read it when it first came out so I remember absolutely nothing about it, but I *do* remember loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I also tried Before You Know Kindness. What a dud. I didn't get very far.

I think the only one of his books that I read through, and was FANTASTIC (and you should read it), was Midwives. I read it when it first came out so I remember absolutely nothing about it, but I *do* remember loving it.

Before You Know Kindness is such an interesting title. I would have picked it up just based on the title. I'm glad you and LFM have warned me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,872,306 times
Reputation: 7234
Catching up with you all now...

1. I'm currently on page 15 of Crossing to Safety and am loving the writing. I don't yet know enough of the story, but the writing is amazing. I am an annotater. I like to write in margins and underline imagery or phrases that really catch my interest. I'm going to wear out my pencil!

2. I apologize for leading many of you down The Language of Flowers path. I did enjoy it for some reason and have a thick enough book skin to not mind in the least that EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON HERE hated it ! Sometimes I think it is a matter of timing and for whatever reason, Victoria spoke to me.

3. Like Dawn, I loved Midwives and probably need to revisit it because I don't really remember the details, just remember loving the story. I have read several of his books and other than Doubleblind and Midwives, the rest were pretty forgettable.

4. And finally, I just don't get "Veronika Decides to Die". I'm still not finished with it and it is NOT a big book. I just find it weird. I will finish it because I'm too close to give up on it now, but I am disappointed. I'm so glad that I "met" Paulo Coelho through "The Alchemist" because if I had started with Veronika I don't think I would have read anything else of his.

So there I am, pushing through one book and diving into another!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Catching up with you all now...

1. I'm currently on page 15 of Crossing to Safety and am loving the writing. I don't yet know enough of the story, but the writing is amazing. I am an annotater. I like to write in margins and underline imagery or phrases that really catch my interest. I'm going to wear out my pencil!
YAY!!! I'm so glad that you're loving his writing as much as I did. I also hope that you enjoy the story as much as I did. I'm pretty sure, since I read it more than a year ago and still think about it at least every few weeks, that it must rank as my favorite book of all-time. It's just... perfect.

Quote:
2. I apologize for leading many of you down The Language of Flowers path. I did enjoy it for some reason and have a thick enough book skin to not mind in the least that EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON HERE hated it ! Sometimes I think it is a matter of timing and for whatever reason, Victoria spoke to me.
I was with you for the first half. I really "got" Victoria then. But then, like a light switch, she changed to "normal," and that's where the book lost me. You're right, too, about the timing. I've tried reading fabulous books at the wrong time and tossed them aside, only to pick one up a week or a month or a year later and think, "How could I not have loved this from the get-go?"


Quote:
4. And finally, I just don't get "Veronika Decides to Die". I'm still not finished with it and it is NOT a big book. I just find it weird. I will finish it because I'm too close to give up on it now, but I am disappointed. I'm so glad that I "met" Paulo Coelho through "The Alchemist" because if I had started with Veronika I don't think I would have read anything else of his.
I had that on my "to read" list but I'm not good with "weird." If the library gets a Kindle version, I'll try to read it. If they don't, I'll just remove it from my list with no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 23,904,585 times
Reputation: 27090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Catching up with you all now...

1. I'm currently on page 15 of Crossing to Safety and am loving the writing. I don't yet know enough of the story, but the writing is amazing. I am an annotater. I like to write in margins and underline imagery or phrases that really catch my interest. I'm going to wear out my pencil!

2. I apologize for leading many of you down The Language of Flowers path. I did enjoy it for some reason and have a thick enough book skin to not mind in the least that EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON HERE hated it ! Sometimes I think it is a matter of timing and for whatever reason, Victoria spoke to me.

3. Like Dawn, I loved Midwives and probably need to revisit it because I don't really remember the details, just remember loving the story. I have read several of his books and other than Doubleblind and Midwives, the rest were pretty forgettable.

4. And finally, I just don't get "Veronika Decides to Die". I'm still not finished with it and it is NOT a big book. I just find it weird. I will finish it because I'm too close to give up on it now, but I am disappointed. I'm so glad that I "met" Paulo Coelho through "The Alchemist" because if I had started with Veronika I don't think I would have read anything else of his.

So there I am, pushing through one book and diving into another!
OH Pine I knew there was a reason I liked you it is because you are a fellow chris bohjalian fan and have you read his book "Before You Know KIndness " ? do you know that one ? I loved midwives and am looking for a copy of it and also the double blind I loved both of those and also read his skeletons at the feast , his last one was awesome as well . so I just wanted to let you I knew there was some reason we were connected and this is the reason .... in highest regard , phonelady61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,872,306 times
Reputation: 7234
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
OH Pine I knew there was a reason I liked you it is because you are a fellow chris bohjalian fan and have you read his book "Before You Know KIndness " ? do you know that one ? I loved midwives and am looking for a copy of it and also the double blind I loved both of those and also read his skeletons at the feast , his last one was awesome as well . so I just wanted to let you I knew there was some reason we were connected and this is the reason .... in highest regard , phonelady61
Thanks, Phonelady! I almost forgot about Skeletons at the Feast. That was a good read. I really knew very little about Russians lives during late WWII until I read this book. Even when he "misses", Bohaljian is a writer who isn't afraid of pushing the boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,872,306 times
Reputation: 7234
Oh, and Phonelady61, can I assume that you have forgiven me for "The Language of Flowers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
 
1,369 posts, read 2,124,894 times
Reputation: 1649
I just finished Philippa Gregory's "The Red Queen." It was a decent read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top