Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Oh, and Phonelady61, can I assume that you have forgiven me for "The Language of Flowers"?
Yes you can since Im reading the wedding dress by someone elses reccomendation and also making peace , love , loss and pie and I will let you know what i think of it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Re--reading the Outlander series. Now on A Breath of Snow and Ashes, Diana Gabaldon.

Also listening to an audiobook - The Teachings of Don Juan - A Yaqui Way of Knowledge - Casteneda.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What I do when suspense gets to me is read the ending. I don't find it spoils my experience of the book at all, but it takes off that edge that, in some books, makes me uncomfortable.
I do the same thing. Especially if it looks possible that a character I care about is going to die. Or if it has endless foreshadowing and I'm getting bored I like to read the end to see if it's going to be worth it. I'm still able to enjoy the book.

I'm STILL reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I like it a lot, but my reading time has been very limited lately.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm reading Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman. At about 300 pages she becomes Empress... it's a huge book, which has led me to believe... I didn't want a portrait, just a snapshot.

Almost done with It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy, which kept me amused and laughing.

Just going to start: My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young which looks VERY funny.

In the middle of: The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun.

I've never been into self-help books, but I have found a genuine liking, and benefit, to reading other"s accounts of self-help - especially when written by very funny authors.

After this I should be ready for some good fiction again.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I'm giving up on The Price of Salt. I don't like it and I am not sure why but I realized this afternoon that I simply did not look forwarding to reading any more of it. Life's too short to waste on books that are not for me.

I decided to reread a great book I reviewed for the newpaper back in '87. Do Not Go Gentle by Gordon Stevens. It's fiction and deals with the IRA, British security and Islamic terrorists. It's not for everyone but it is for me because I learned a lot from it. Plus, all three subjects are of interest to me. I think I will learn more from it this time around because I know more now. Sad to say........

If you are a fan of the works of Martin Cruz Smith then you would probably really enjoy this book.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm giving up on The Price of Salt. I don't like it and I am not sure why but I realized this afternoon that I simply did not look forwarding to reading any more of it. Life's too short to waste on books that are not for me.
I think that that's pretty much what I wrote here when I was a quarter way into the book.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Okay both the wedding dress and the making pie book were duds . ti;me to head to the library to pick up some better ones and will come back with reviews on those two as welll . Guess i m getting dawn fever -hard on books LOL ....

Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In the middle of: The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun.

...:
Is it any good Mikala?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Well, I am delighted to report that I spent hours with "The Night Strangers" yesterday, and never once wanted to put it down -- such a refreshing change from my recent attempts to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I realized this afternoon that I simply did not look forwarding to reading any more of it. Life's too short to waste on books that are not for me.

I decided to reread a great book ... I think I will learn more from it this time around because I know more now.
I recently came to the same conclusion about Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. It's been over 30 years since I've read Tolstoy, and longer for Dostoevsky, and I think I will get more from reading them now, with these years and their experiences behind me. I am also planning to reacquaint myself with Henry James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think that that's pretty much what I wrote here when I was a quarter way into the book.
Dawn -- our book seer! (Actually, I search this thread every time I am considering a title, just to see what you've said about it. You should consider writing reviews for NYT!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Guess i m getting dawn fever -hard on books LOL ....
In our book world, that is like getting the gift of "second sight."

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Dawn -- our book seer! (Actually, I search this thread every time I am considering a title, just to see what you've said about it. You should consider writing reviews for NYT!)

In our book world, that is like getting the gift of "second sight."
HAHAHAHA!!!! I think you actually have to FINISH the book before writing a review for them. They'd hate my lack of commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books