Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: North Central Illinois
7,286 posts, read 5,413,518 times
Reputation: 43209

Advertisements

I am reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Someone told me it was THE book to read. So far it is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,797,639 times
Reputation: 28897
I finished Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig. The main character was dense (as in dumb) but I'm sure that it was meant to be that way. The story was much too romantic for me. Also, the situation was resolved... and then, no, it wasn't resolved. Oh, it's resolved! Nope, not resolved! Oh, hey, we've resolved it! Uh, no, sorry.

I'm very surprised that it got an average of 5 (out of 5) stars on the Amazon reviews but, like I always say, we don't all have the same taste. However, even though I'm going against the brush of those reviews, I feel confident about NOT recommending it to any of you. Consider yourselves warned.

If Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman arrives in the mail today, then I'll start on that. Otherwise, I'll start Stop-Time by Frank Conroy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,562,004 times
Reputation: 26859
Finally finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and liked it well enough. The writing was fine with lots of nice imagery. If I have a complaint, it's that the story was a bit too much like a Hollywood movie for me. In fact, I kept imagining different actors in the roles. There's nothing particularly wrong with that othe than that it just seemed a little too neat.

Started Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr, following a recommendation on here. It's a series featuring a female ranger for the National Park Service who solves mysteries. This first book takes place in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park and I've been there, so am enjoying reading about it. It's an easy read but fairly enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,471,945 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...The story was much too romantic for me.
Romance seems to be a long-time popular genre, in fact, novels began as romances, but if the story cannot be told without the romance (IMHO) then it need not call itself a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
... Started Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr
I love Anna Pigeon, she's a sensible, brave, trustworthy woman and isn't afraid to go after the bad guys. She and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone are probably my two favorite female sleuths, with VI Warchowski, coming in third (mostly because the TV series ruined her for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Great Falls, VA
771 posts, read 1,450,535 times
Reputation: 1302
I'm reading Room by Emma Donoghue. It's a page turner, I hadn't been so enthralled by a book in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,165,680 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Finally finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and liked it well enough. The writing was fine with lots of nice imagery. If I have a complaint, it's that the story was a bit too much like a Hollywood movie for me. In fact, I kept imagining different actors in the roles. There's nothing particularly wrong with that othe than that it just seemed a little too neat.

Started Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr, following a recommendation on here. It's a series featuring a female ranger for the National Park Service who solves mysteries. This first book takes place in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park and I've been there, so am enjoying reading about it. It's an easy read but fairly enjoyable.
I'm so glad you are enjoying Barr's book. I have read every book she has written about Anna and the national parks. One of my favorites takes place in Carlsbad Caverns and is titled Blind Descent. I've read that one twice because it is so real to me. Plus, I identify somewhat with Anna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,165,680 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Romance seems to be a long-time popular genre, in fact, novels began as romances, but if the story cannot be told without the romance (IMHO) then it need not call itself a story.


I love Anna Pigeon, she's a sensible, brave, trustworthy woman and isn't afraid to go after the bad guys. She and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone are probably my two favorite female sleuths, with VI Warchowski, coming in third (mostly because the TV series ruined her for me).
VI Warchowski just totally cracked me up in the books. I never knew what she was going to say or do and whatever it was she was wonderful. I also enjoyed the Chicago history in those books. I lived there for a year in the early 70s and love the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,562,004 times
Reputation: 26859
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I love Anna Pigeon, she's a sensible, brave, trustworthy woman and isn't afraid to go after the bad guys. She and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone are probably my two favorite female sleuths, with VI Warchowski, coming in third (mostly because the TV series ruined her for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm so glad you are enjoying Barr's book. I have read every book she has written about Anna and the national parks. One of my favorites takes place in Carlsbad Caverns and is titled Blind Descent. I've read that one twice because it is so real to me. Plus, I identify somewhat with Anna.
Couldn't remember who had recommended them, but it all makes sense now. Also, you're right, LFM, she does remind me of Kinsey Millhone and the setting reminds me of the Tony Hillermann books. No wonder I'm liking it.

It is making me want to take off for an isolated national park somewhere, but it's not really my husband or daughter's style. I used to do lots of hiking and camping in West Texas and parts further west. Hope to have the chance again someday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,797,639 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

If Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman arrives in the mail today, then I'll start on that. Otherwise, I'll start Stop-Time by Frank Conroy.
The mail came. Ex Libris did not. Stop-Time it is, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,471,945 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
VI Warchowski just totally cracked me up in the books. I never knew what she was going to say or do and whatever it was she was wonderful. I also enjoyed the Chicago history in those books. I lived there for a year in the early 70s and love the place.
Yes, she is great in the books. It is just that now I keep seeing that blonde's face when I read her, and somehow it just deflates the whole picture for me. There are times when televised or movie versions are just NOT helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top