Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I won't say that she's a nutbar. She has a mental illness and I feel for her. But, seriously, she's a nutbar. According to the article, she also lives just a few hours from me.
Uh, technically speaking... you DID say she's a "nutbar."

I also discovered the brother wrote a book. I think it would be interesting to read the works of all three, and see what the full picture might disclose. Probably that she is a nutbar, but then -- are we not all to someone in our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Uh, technically speaking... you DID say she's a "nutbar."

I also discovered the brother wrote a book. I think it would be interesting to read the works of all three, and see what the full picture might disclose. Probably that she is a nutbar, but then -- are we not all to someone in our lives?
Oh, I don't use the term loosely! Jeremy's a clinical psychologist! HAHAHAHA!!

No, really, I'm not making fun of mental illness. I shouldn't... and I couldn't... and I wouldn't. It's a VERY real problem. I just think that, in some ways, his mother was hiding behind the label of "mental illness" so that she could just do whatever floated her boat. I may be TOTALLY off base there, and I read the book so long ago (when it first came out), but it just feels that her "excuse" is convenient and contrived. Again, just a brief thought that I had.

As for his brother, he's interesting. His name is John Robison and he wrote Look Me in the Eye, which Jeremy is coincidentally currently reading, about his life with Asperger's.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
I'm not making fun of mental illness. I shouldn't... and I couldn't... and I wouldn't. It's a VERY real problem. I just think that, in some ways, his mother was hiding behind the label of "mental illness" so that she could just do whatever floated her boat. I may be TOTALLY off base there, and I read the book so long ago (when it first came out), but it just feels that her "excuse" is convenient and contrived. Again, just a brief thought that I had.

As for his brother, he's interesting. His name is John Robison and he wrote Look Me in the Eye, which Jeremy is coincidentally currently reading, about his life with Asperger's.
My very, very DEAR nutbar.... you might be right, you might be crazy (coining a Billy Joel lyric for comic levity, not to be insensitive). I certainly could not make a determination, based on reading a book jacket and an article. Still, it might be telling that she never once said anything derogatory about her son, and did admit that she had much to be in need of forgiveness for herself.

I don't know if I will ever get to reading any of their works, but I've got them in my Goodreads "Want To" list, so if I do I will be sure to come back here. (No surprise there! )

Meanwhile, I have to meter my reading of "The Night Strangers" or I would never get anything done! I can completely relate to each of the characters -- providing ample evidence that I, too, am a nutcase.

At present, about a quarter of the way through, the father is hacking into THAT DOOR in the basement closed with Thirty-Nine carriage bolts, and "hears" cries of anguish (in his head, or real, he cannot be certain after what he's been through).

But for now, I have a dog bed cover to work on, and then a lunch date.

Happy reading, friends!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My very, very DEAR nutbar.... you might be right, you might be crazy (coining a Billy Joel lyric for comic levity, not to be insensitive). I certainly could not make a determination, based on reading a book jacket and an article. Still, it might be telling that she never once said anything derogatory about her son, and did admit that she had much to be in need of forgiveness for herself.

I don't know if I will ever get to reading any of their works, but I've got them in my Goodreads "Want To" list, so if I do I will be sure to come back here. (No surprise there! )

Meanwhile, I have to meter my reading of "The Night Strangers" or I would never get anything done! I can completely relate to each of the characters -- providing ample evidence that I, too, am a nutcase.

At present, about a quarter of the way through, the father is hacking into THAT DOOR in the basement closed with Thirty-Nine carriage bolts, and "hears" cries of anguish (in his head, or real, he cannot be certain after what he's been through).

But for now, I have a dog bed cover to work on, and then a lunch date.

Happy reading, friends!
Bigun is getting a new dog bed... and then he's going out for lunch with you? I know, I know, but you *should* take him with you.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Quote:
I did read (and enjoy) both "Look Me In The Eye"-and the follow-up "Be Different" by John Elder Robison-though that was over a year ago, so I'm not "currently" reading it
Couple excerpts (I took notes) from Robison's "Be Different" (2011):
Quote:
pg.151:"The wariness I acquired as a kid followed me into adulthood. It was a strain, but when I think of some of the places I went and some of the people I hung out with, it was probably a blessing that I had it. People saw that I never backed down, so they didn't push me."
Quote:
pg.193: "I think it comes down to simplicity, predictability, and logic. The natural world has all those things; people don't.
Thanks to DandJ & LookinForMayberry, for weighing in on Burroughs' earlier work (since I haven't read any of those).
Thought this was insightful, from Burroughs' "This is How...":
Quote:
pg.118: “Understanding what happened in the past is rarely truly possible. Because true understanding must incorporate context. Not merely what we experienced, but why. And the why requires knowing the motivations of the other people involved. Without the perspective of this context, our understanding will always be biased; it will be from a single perspective: ours. And therefore, not necessarily accurate or true.”

Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished Schwarzenegger's book. He is a very, very boring person. He has no internal life. Very boring book. I flipped/skipped through a lot of pages.

Well, time to get some work done. It is one of those days where I really didn't want to get out of bed.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Ex Libris arrived. I just read the preface. I'm in love. I won't be home tomorrow and although I know that I could plow through this short book (~ 160 pages) tonight, I don't want to race through it. I want to savor it and hug it and love it for as long as I can.

Thank you, Pinetreelover, for leading me to it.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
I want to savor it and hug it and love it for as long as I can.
This comment totally brought to mind a cartoon (maybe an old Bugs Bunny cartoon) where the guy says something about hugging and loving something. OK - not real helpful, but I have a fuzzy picture of the cartoon in my mind.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
This comment totally brought to mind a cartoon (maybe an old Bugs Bunny cartoon) where the guy says something about hugging and loving something. OK - not real helpful, but I have a fuzzy picture of the cartoon in my mind.
You made me think of the Snoopy thing: "Love is like a warm blanket."

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Run by Ann Patchett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books