Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, that's kind of where I am now. I had a big reading spurt and now I'm numb. I have started a lot of books but can't seem to settle into any of them. Maybe I'll reread a book I enjoyed.
That is what has happened to me in the last month. I've started supposedly good books and I simply don't connect with them . So, I am rereading Nevada Barr's Blind Descent. This will be the third or fourth time I've read it but I like it so much and her writing is exceptional in this book. I guess I need that right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I finished Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman. Nice, sweet book. The essay that I most enjoyed was the one about how everyone in her family proofreads everything (including menus at restaurants). I do the same. In fact, just last week, my husband bought me a T-shirt that reads "I am silently correcting your grammar." Ha! (I don't always do it silently, though.)

I don't think that I'm going to read Stop-Time by Frank Conroy anymore. It's just not working for me, mostly because he flips from present to past mid-stream. I say "mostly" for that reason but I suspect that I just don't care for his story.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a bunch of good books but none of them are calling to me, which means that if I should start one of them, I'm not likely to enjoy it, even if it's excellent. I don't want to risk ruining a great book with my not-so-great attitude. So, we'll see. Maybe it's Hurricane Sandy's way of telling me that I shouldn't spend time reading when I should be preparing for her arrival. She's probably right.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Maybe it's Hurricane Sandy's way of telling me that I shouldn't spend time reading when I should be preparing for her arrival. She's probably right.
Yes, that is what I was thinking before I got to this point in your post. Definitely be prepared. Others on C-D have seen the National Guard and other emergency crews headed to the northeast. Don't be lax on this one -- go do what you must or I will be chewing my fingers to the bone worrying about you!

Still on "The Night Strangers" and the plot is looking familiar to me, though the characters are not. I am starting to think he's spun the story from an old Twilight Zone episode I vaguely recall from my childhood.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
My prayers are with everyone who is facing the doom and gloom from hurricane sandy please take care of yourselves and God is watching over you . I pray sandy turns out to sea .

Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, that is what I was thinking before I got to this point in your post. Definitely be prepared. Others on C-D have seen the National Guard and other emergency crews headed to the northeast. Don't be lax on this one -- go do what you must or I will be chewing my fingers to the bone worrying about you!
Thanks, lovely lady. We had a nice day in Boston and Cambridge yesterday, so I'm ready to hunker down today.

Speaking of Cambridge, we went past Harvard buildings and, as like every time we do that, I got a hankering to go back to school. Of course I'd never get into Harvard (!!!!) and I kept thinking of your school tribulations anyway. It made it easier to walk away from the thought. Whenever the feeling comes back to me, I think, well, would I major in something that I could use (like accounting) or something that I would enjoy (like English)? Then I realize that I'd be over 50 (oh my GAWD!) by the time I graduate, so I'd feel too tired to USE those accounting skills and, by majoring in English, I'd feel like I was spending time reading books that were forced on me rather than enjoying my time reading books that I love.

Anyway, after walking around Harvard, we went for lunch at an Indian place. By the time I was stuffed with tikka masala and naan, the idea of going back to school had passed... like bad gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My prayers are with everyone who is facing the doom and gloom from hurricane sandy please take care of yourselves and God is watching over you . I pray sandy turns out to sea .
Thanks, sweets. We went through Irene last year (or, rather, Irene went through us) and that freak SNOW storm that hit us at EXACTLY the same time (right before Hallowe'en) last year, so we're getting used to the drama. We were lucky to have just moved from CT because they got hit so hard. My old neighborhood got very hard hit -- one of the trees from my old property fell onto my old neighbor's car, leveling it. So crazy.

I don't think there's any chance of Sandy going out to sea, though. I don't know if its direct hit will be in PA, in NYC, or between CT and Long Island, but it's supposedly definitely going to "land" and we're definitely going to get something out of it. It looks like "only" super-strong rain (and lots of it... continuing for several days) and tropical-strength winds. I'm looking at the trees in my back yard and willing them to stay strong... for their own sake and for the sake of my roof.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 AM

Yesterday while mixing up a pot of chili con carne, I pulled out my Zune to listen to a story while I chopped, and discovered I was in the midst of the second of Jack Kerley's Carsen Ryder series, "The Death Collectors."

Something in me wants to say this isn't my usual genre, but apparently that isn't true because I am enjoying this one, as I did the first -- even with the grizzly (for me) parts. I know some of the readers here do not like audio books, but the reader for this one is especially good for this series.

The protagonist is a detective and the banter between him and his older partner is entertaining. He has an older brother in an asylum, a raving lunatic with moments of clarity that are more chilling than his less lucid times, that will help him with his more bizarre cases -- that the books usually center upon. The characters are believable, the plots are interesting, and the end of "The Hundredth Man" was satisfactory.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Just finished Richard Frank's Downfall regarding the end of the WW2 in the PTO. Clear and quick read and provides both sides of the why's behind dropping the atomic bomb issue.

Now starting on The Peninusla War by Charles Esdaile

Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,022 times
Well I actually just got done with my last library book and I am going to go through my 2 containers of books and pick something out..

Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,022 times
My War: Killing Time in Iraq: Colby Buzzell: 9780425211366: Amazon.com: Books

This was the last one I read. Good book.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Thanks for sharing that, it sounds like it was a good read. Sad that he had to find his talent in battle, but good that he gave us the means to see it from the soldier's viewpoint.

I looked him up in Goodreads, and it looks like he has written another:

Lost in America: A Dead-End Journey by Colby Buzzell - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I hate to say this publicly, but though I salute the brave people that join our armed forces, too many of them do so because we do not give the the means to demonstrate their talents any other way. Our schools are too expensive for the majority of our population, and on the job training doesn't exist anymore.

I hope for a day when people like Colby can demonstrate their skills and talents in places other than a military uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books