Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
LOL. I really like that one. Plus, don't tell anyone but Red Dawn is one of my fav movies. I have no idea why but I just love it.
They remade that movie. Coming to theaters Nov 21. Might be interesting to see the remake.

I found I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak at the thrift shop today. Since I loved The Book Thief so much, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one too. I liked the description. Still reading Outlander though. Very different experience reading it the second time around knowing so much more about the story; a lot of "ahhhhhh!" moments. Also picked up another Janette Oke book today too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I found I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak at the thrift shop today. Since I loved The Book Thief so much, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one too.
I Am the Messenger is a good book.

Is it anywhere near as good as The Book Thief? Oh, no. Not even close. But still, it's an easy and fine read.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I did feel a slight burn in the ass area.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Whoopie ti yi yo, git along little dogie.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I loved, loved, loved Bel Canto! I hope you do too. I started Run by Ann Patchett, but, couldn't get into it, and had to leave it . Since she wrote Bel Canto also, I stayed with it longer than my usual 50 pages. (nearly 100 pages) but had to put it down. OMG, it was boring. Then I started reading Eve Green, and that too was very boring, and I was getting worried, but, now I'm reading Rush Home Road, and I'm really liking it.

Let us know how you like Bel Canto!

Hey have you read her latest one ? State of Wonder ? I loved that one and I mean loved it better than bel canto and run . You might want to check that one out .

Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hey have you read her latest one ? State of Wonder ? I loved that one and I mean loved it better than bel canto and run . You might want to check that one out .
The only books of hers that I liked (loved) were The Patron Saint of Liars and Bel Canto. Oh, and also Truth and Beauty. As for Run, I couldn't wait for it to end. And I didn't get past the first few pages of State of Wonder. Clearly, I like her old stuff... and then, at least for me, it just went downhill from there.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
I Am the Messenger is a good book.

Is it anywhere near as good as The Book Thief? Oh, no. Not even close. But still, it's an easy and fine read.
Oh that makes me feel better. If you think it's good and a fine read, I don't feel as though I will be sorely disappointed.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I just finished The Raft People and totally enjoyed it. I'm so sorry it is only available for the Kindle.

Now I am starting Bel Canto.

I am totally ignoring Advise and Consent which is perched on the desk right next to me. I don't want to jump into a 600+ page book right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
The only books of hers that I liked (loved) were The Patron Saint of Liars and Bel Canto. Oh, and also Truth and Beauty. As for Run, I couldn't wait for it to end. And I didn't get past the first few pages of State of Wonder. Clearly, I like her old stuff... and then, at least for me, it just went downhill from there.
Bel Canto was great. I think. It has been quite a while since I read it, but I remember enjoying it - though I also remember thinking it was pleasantly odd. I liked "State of Wonder" though didn't really love it. The pacing is sooooo slow - I think it might be purposeful though as it really made me feel as if I was in a very warm, very slow-paced environment. Sleepy, almost.

Like Dawn, one of my absolute favorite Ann Pachett books is "Truth and Beauty" a non-fiction exploration of Patchett's friendship with poet Lucy Grealy. This is a special look at friendships - especially friendships that are challenged by addiction and health problems.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 AM

41 posts, read 58,381 times
I just started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Has anyone read it?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Reading 'The Violinist's Thumb and Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius as Written by our Genetic Code' written by Sam Kean. So far sooo Goood!

Thumb Info « Sam Kean's science history romp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books