Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Uh, if you want to know another book to NOT bother with: Toby's Room by Pat Barker. Only 13% in and I find these characters wholly unbelievable. Feh. I won't be going any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
"Detective Inspector Huss" isn't exactly commanding my attention, but I am sloughing through, mostly because this is the first in her series and the author's first work ever -- and it does show potential. She has some issues with telling too much, and sometimes her conversations read like the ones we play in our head after we didn't say what we wish we said and the replay is all worked through. (Hope that was not too confusing. )

Wiki reports that she wrote this work in '98, and it was translated in '03. Since she's worked as a translator (of medical journals) it is possible it's her translation.

Maybe I should just drop it, because at this point I don't have a real sense of who any of the characters really are (inside), and don't really care how or why the rich guy got thrown off his penthouse balcony. Still, I continue to pick it up, read a few pages -- and then go on to my next thing.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Yesterday I read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It was a wonderful little book and I cried for the last 20 pages of it.

Now I am reading Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. I really like it so far.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,533 times
"Love in the Time of Cholera". Put off reading it for years because the first few lines didn't grab me. Now I am wondering why. ADORE this book so far.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
"Love in the Time of Cholera". Put off reading it for years because the first few lines didn't grab me. Now I am wondering why. ADORE this book so far.
That book has been sitting on a shelf in my house for what seems like forever. Thanks for the reminder to -- maybe! -- finally try to read it.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That book has been sitting on a shelf in my house for what seems like forever. Thanks for the reminder to -- maybe! -- finally try to read it.

If you get past the first few pages, you will probably be hooked. At least I was.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
It's a wonderful book. One of my all time favourites. I couldn't figure out how he managed to make each line so brilliant.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
ok well now you got me perking up with love in the time of cholera. I also loved this book. It was so brilliant, and I kept thinking that this was a translation I read.That speaks volumes about the translation,but honestly I cannot even fathom how brilliant it must be in the language as originally written.
Since I loved it so much I did attempt 100 years of solitude..... well I maybe got to about page 80 or so and just coudl not go on. It was really good, but all the names were so similar that I just could not follow it. I am not usually very good with names in books, but this one honestly had characters with so similar(identical???) names that it just defeated me.
(maybe I should try it again?)

Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's a wonderful book. One of my all time favourites. I couldn't figure out how he managed to make each line so brilliant.
Fine! I'll read it! (Eventually. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
ok well now you got me perking up with love in the time of cholera. I also loved this book. It was so brilliant, and I kept thinking that this was a translation I read.That speaks volumes about the translation,but honestly I cannot even fathom how brilliant it must be in the language as originally written.
Since I loved it so much I did attempt 100 years of solitude..... well I maybe got to about page 80 or so and just coudl not go on. It was really good, but all the names were so similar that I just could not follow it. I am not usually very good with names in books, but this one honestly had characters with so similar(identical???) names that it just defeated me.
I just said that I'd (eventually) read it!

Oh, no, you're not alone in that name confusion. Similar names? I'm lost. Foreign names? Even more lost. Foreign names that are similar (at least to me)? Forget it.

Funny thing: I just this morning started a book. I got to the second page before I realized that, no, they're not still talking about Sonya from the first page. This character that they're now talking about is Sophie! Sophie is Sonya's daughter. I returned it to the library at page 2. I know, it's silly, maybe I was just too tired to start a new book, but if got aggravated at the second page, I'd STAY aggravated.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
That's what I was thinking too. It wasn't just the original writer that was brilliant but the translator as well. As for 100 Years of Solitude....I keep meaning to try it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books