Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,655 times

Advertisements

The Star Machine by Jeanine Basinger, I love reading about Golden Age Hollywood. I'm waiting to read Girl Gone by Gillian Flyn, The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton and NYPD by James Patterson. So many other people requested those books too a the library. They must be good. Has anyone read any of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Since I knew I would get sympathy here from my fellow book-lovers, I decided to whine here, knowing you would forgive an off-topic comment.

The citizens of my relatively middle-class community decided yesterday that they could not handle a small (average $60-100) annual increase in their property taxes, so two of the five branches of the local library system are closing at the end of this month. And to be even more outraged about it, it happens to be the branch I volunteer at on Wednesdays. The five employees at my branch will be out of a job in four weeks, with no guarantee of employment within the system, even if there are openings. Several of them have worked for the system for a decade or more. These are wonderful, dedicated employees who treat their patrons with kindness and efficiency. What is the world coming to?!

OK -- rant over.

A recommendation for mystery lovers. Do try Elizabeth George. Her Inspector Lynley series is wonderful. She's eminently readable and spins a great tale. I picked up "This Body of Death" from the library today and am looking forward to delving into it.

'Nuf said.
Oh Kate, I'm sorry to hear this. Sorry for the loss of the libraries and for the loss of jobs.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Yes Kate it is never pleasant to hear of a library closing . Im so sorry and I do feel for those folks who will be out of a job at the end of four weeks and I cannot imagine what it is like out looking for a job that stinks . I will pray for them that loose their job and i will pray that they find employment rather quickly . Im now reading how to steal a dog and then I m reading Killing kennedy by bill oreiley .I usually like books by bill oreiley and i will let you know how I like this one . I did like his book about lincoln though i will say that .

Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Since I knew I would get sympathy here from my fellow book-lovers, I decided to whine here, knowing you would forgive an off-topic comment.

The citizens of my relatively middle-class community decided yesterday that they could not handle a small (average $60-100) annual increase in their property taxes, so two of the five branches of the local library system are closing at the end of this month. And to be even more outraged about it, it happens to be the branch I volunteer at on Wednesdays. The five employees at my branch will be out of a job in four weeks, with no guarantee of employment within the system, even if there are openings. Several of them have worked for the system for a decade or more. These are wonderful, dedicated employees who treat their patrons with kindness and efficiency. What is the world coming to?!

OK -- rant over.

A recommendation for mystery lovers. Do try Elizabeth George. Her Inspector Lynley series is wonderful. She's eminently readable and spins a great tale. I picked up "This Body of Death" from the library today and am looking forward to delving into it.

'Nuf said.
People can be so rotten! Sorry for this loss to your community.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Well! I finally finished that tiny book Parnassus on Wheels. Lovely! I'm not going to start The Haunted Bookshop yet. No, I'm going to read something else first. Maybe even a couple of books in between. Christopher Morley allowed two years between those books, so who am I to rush things like that?

I think that I'll start Conversations with Capote next, especially since I got a bunch of Capote books and stories after No Kudzu tempted me with the Conversations book.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

The citizens of my relatively middle-class community decided yesterday that they could not handle a small (average $60-100) annual increase in their property taxes, so two of the five branches of the local library system are closing at the end of this month.

'Nuf said.
I am so sorry to hear about that and to hear of the loss of jobs. I live in a very small town and often think we are very lucky just to have a library and I hope we are able to keep it. There is no way people here would go for a property tax increase. Heck your proposed increase would be almost my whole property taxes

Good luck to you and your library friends.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Getting ready to go on the treadmill. I only have one Large print book left. 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Getting ready to go on the treadmill. I only have one Large print book left. 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly.

I always mega-size the font on my Kindle in order to read while on the treadmill. It is one of the secret plusses of an e-reader. I can't read regular sized print and run at the same time!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Lusitania An Epic Tragedy
by Diana Preston

In the Garden of Beasts
Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
by Erik Larson

Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm reading Conversations With Capote. It's not particularly well-written (although it's fine) but that doesn't matter -- Capote's personality makes the book shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books