Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

I like that when reading Crossing to Safety, I can read a little, and then go to sleep, just thinking about the scene in the book, and I'm not all tense about something in the story. Sure, it's fun once in a while to have a page turner you can't put down. But when I'm reading at night in bed, I like a book that I can put down and just think about. I've been closing my eyes thinking of the cottages at Battell Pond, and drifting off to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Aw, Girlfriend, don't beat on yourself on my account. I don't think it's the book. I think I've just got too many things going right now, and I'm tired (and sore, but that's another story).

I AM enjoying both parts of "Come, thou tortoise." I just enjoy the tortoise's perspective more. I was just telling DH over breakfast the other morning what a unique voice this author has, and I love her ability to not just SEE the world from other perspectives -- including that of a tortoise, but her ability to convey what she sees in the VOICE of the character. It's a real gift.

So, please, hype away. You are very much appreciated here.

(And yes, life most often IS slow -- at least real life. I get a bit weary of those that feel everything has to be "hold on to your hats because this action-packed, thrill every second, page turner is going to set your hair on fire!")
I'm with you on all of that, sweets. Feel good (i.e. not sore).

Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I like that when reading Crossing to Safety, I can read a little, and then go to sleep, just thinking about the scene in the book, and I'm not all tense about something in the story. Sure, it's fun once in a while to have a page turner you can't put down. But when I'm reading at night in bed, I like a book that I can put down and just think about. I've been closing my eyes thinking of the cottages at Battell Pond, and drifting off to sleep.
That is exactly how I felt about Crossing to Safety. I really was able to just enjoy the writing without being distracted by crazy plot events or too many characters to keep up with. Plus, there were times when I was just totally awed by the author's ability to craft a sentence - like watching an artist.

I keep thinking about those four characters. I think I am much more Charity than Sally, though I have always wanted to be more of a Sally. My husband and Sid might secretly be brothers - there is one section where Sid and Charity's daughter is talking about Sid and she says something like "he prepares and he cleans-up". This reminded me soooo much of my husband's approach to painting our guest room. He spends hours taping, sanding, wiping down, more taping, arranging the paint cloths.... then paints just a little... then meticulously cleans the brushes, wipes the rim of the can, folds up the paint cloths..... and repeats the process days later when he gets time to "paint" again!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,979 times
I don't read books as often as (I think) I should, but I did get a few from the library last week. Yay! Right now I'm reading What Really Happened by Rielle Hunter, that woman who was John Edwards's most-famous mistress. She tries to sound more intelligent than her media image, but her story seems to justify the "bimbo" label she earned.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng, a writer I just recently discovered. I started with his other novel The Garden of Evening Mists and was hooked. The books are set on the island of Penang and Malaysia respectively and deal with memories, regrets, the impact of WW2 on the protagonists' lives, betrayals, loves.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
That is exactly how I felt about Crossing to Safety. I really was able to just enjoy the writing without being distracted by crazy plot events or too many characters to keep up with. Plus, there were times when I was just totally awed by the author's ability to craft a sentence - like watching an artist.

I keep thinking about those four characters. I think I am much more Charity than Sally, though I have always wanted to be more of a Sally. My husband and Sid might secretly be brothers - there is one section where Sid and Charity's daughter is talking about Sid and she says something like "he prepares and he cleans-up". This reminded me soooo much of my husband's approach to painting our guest room. He spends hours taping, sanding, wiping down, more taping, arranging the paint cloths.... then paints just a little... then meticulously cleans the brushes, wipes the rim of the can, folds up the paint cloths..... and repeats the process days later when he gets time to "paint" again!
I loved the characters so much and this is when -- early on in the book, page 21, when Larry is talking about Charity -- I decided that this was my favorite book:

Quote:
Her talk was as animated as her face. Every fourth word was underlined -- she had the habit of feminine emphasis with a vengeance. (Later, when we diverged into different associations and we got letters from her, we discovered that her writing was the same way. You couldn't read it except in her tone of voice.)
That's the moment, so early on, when I felt a crazy connection with Charity. Why? My father has, on numerous occasions, asked me "how do you DO it?" The first time, I asked "how do I do WHAT?" He said, "Write the exact same way that you speak. How do you do that? I can actually HEAR your emails." He went on to say that now, even when I'm talking, he 'sees' my emphasized words in italics.

My mother-in-law has told me that she loves how I tell a story. I guess it's all the italics.

I literally cried when I read that paragraph that I quoted. I felt like he was talking about me.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
...I think I am much more Charity than Sally, though I have always wanted to be more of a Sally. My husband and Sid might secretly be brothers...
Yes! I LOVE when I get so into a book that it starts feeling like it's real.

I recall once listening to a group talk about life, and recalled a story about someone I'd heard... and almost piped into the conversation to share -- when I realized it was not from "real" life, but from something I'd read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
She tries to sound more intelligent than her media image, but her story seems to justify the "bimbo" label she earned.
It's actually sort of impressive that she's written it. I had thought that most of the "celebrities" used ghost writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng, a writer I just recently discovered. I started with his other novel The Garden of Evening Mists and was hooked. The books are set on the island of Penang and Malaysia respectively and deal with memories, regrets, the impact of WW2 on the protagonists' lives, betrayals, loves.
I'm intrigued. I read a story long ago, title and author long forgotten, set in Malaysia and loved it. When I worked with a group in Malaysia a few years ago, I learned it has become quite industrial. It would be fun to read about yet another view of that area. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM

233 posts, read 445,098 times
Right now I'm reading The Frozen Toe Guide to Real Alaskan Livin' by Brookelyn Bellinger.

I started it yesterday and am halfway through. It's pretty funny and informative about some aspects of life in Alaska from a woman who moved there with 200 dollars when she was a young lady. Reading it makes me want to just pack a suitcase and fly out--and I hate frigid temps! It's a fun winter read and reminds me that it could always be colder

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer again...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,790 times
I like to read books of romance and About Travels related. some of
Enemies and Playmates by darcia Helle I enjoy it when I read it. Also Drives of a lifetime by Keith bellows.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books