Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
And here I just rep'd you for giving it a go.

Seriously, I couldn't read it -- would not even attempt it.

I'm at the tail end of "Come, Thou Tortoise" and finished "Oogy" last night on the way home from school. I still have "When it Happens to You" in the wings. I wish I could read as quickly as you all do, but I just don't seem to be able to do it.

Right now I've left Oddly in the pub with her dad's arch nemesis explaining about remembering how to be young.... I've got to get back to that because I need to remember that myself!
Ha! Funny timing.

I'm not reading quickly. In fact, I'm not reading at all. Just beginnings of books, really, except for Parnassus, which I was able to finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times

I decided to read it again because it was so entertaining the first time around.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I was about to take Artie out, then get into bed and start it.

Hmmmm.

I won't.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Clearly, I wasn't thinking at all.

ETA: I'd borrowed it from the library. It's returned and deleted.
Wise, very wise.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm ridiculous. I said that I wasn't ever going to read it (I even promised Ketabcha and fromupthere that I'd stay far away from it) and I also told Ketabcha today that I've been looking for "light" books, but I'm about to start Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklos Nyiszli. We'll see how far into I get before feeling too ill to continue.
Dawn,

As you know I have read it. I do not think you should. It's a tough book and it will upset you greatly. It's very heavy and very graphic. Please don't read it.

Added later: Good. You deleted and returned it.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM

I've tried to get into three different books in the last 2 days. Nothing seems to fit. So, I resorted to my fill-in-the-time with a rather good zombie book. LOL. I know, I know. I just can't seem to stop reading them. It's obviously an escape of some kind for me. What I like is when the good guys (the living) manage to find a safe place with food and water and blankets.

Plus, there are so many free zombie and apoc books for the kindle. I could rationalize saying that I'm looking for exceptional authors but the fact is that I just like the books no matter how badly they are edited.

Onward and upward.......bwwaaahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
You guys know how I never (or very, very, very rarely) like short stories but:

1. I need quick snippets to read while I spend a week with family over Thanksgiving
2. We have a trip planned to New Orleans in March

I read the first story and this book seems completely charming.

New Orleans, Mon Amour: Twenty Years of Writings from the City by Andrei Codrescu

Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Being Beautiful by Dr. OZ...lol

Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Dawn,

As you know I have read it. I do not think you should. It's a tough book and it will upset you greatly. It's very heavy and very graphic. Please don't read it.

Added later: Good. You deleted and returned it.
So should I not read it either? I hadn't heard about this book - if it was discussed on this board I must have missed it.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So should I not read it either? I hadn't heard about this book - if it was discussed on this board I must have missed it.
It's not for readers who lost family in the Holocaust. It's too personal for that and can send the reader out of the house howling at the moon in rage. It's raw and his experiences are difficult to wrap one's mind around. And yet I think it is a good book because it adds one more piece in the puzzle of how the Nazis got away with all that they did.

I read it once and I will never touch it again. Read it, net. I can't say that any of us would "like" it but it is informative and adds to my knowledge as a book reviewer on Jewish History. So I had to read it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's not for readers who lost family in the Holocaust. It's too personal for that and can send the reader out of the house howling at the moon in rage. It's raw and his experiences are difficult to wrap one's mind around. And yet I think it is a good book because it adds one more piece in the puzzle of how the Nazis got away with all that they did.

I read it once and I will never touch it again. Read it, net. I can't say that any of us would "like" it but it is informative and adds to my knowledge as a book reviewer on Jewish History. So I had to read it.
Thanks. It's hard to imagine worse than what specials on TV show. I do sometimes read books I think are important, in the sense of bearing witness, even if they horrify me. We can't ever forget what happened and sometimes I think there is a kind of revisionist history going on about that, in how people tend to relativise and dismiss things as having happened long ago. I must be getting old, because it doesn't seem that long ago to me when the people it happened to, and who were part of it, are still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books