U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,682,266 times

Advertisements

yes I think your daughter should join us marlow ... always can use a new person on here to give their views of books .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM

16,545 posts, read 20,386,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I downloaded "the Bean Trees" not too long ago, but Lord only knows when I will actually get to reading it. I hope she likes it. Perhaps she would like to join us here and share her reading likes, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes I think your daughter should join us marlow ... always can use a new person on here to give their views of books .
We'll have to give her a few years. Right now that suggestion would be met with a massive eye-roll.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM

42,656 posts, read 85,766,672 times
The Whistling Season, Ivan Doig's nice little book about a boy growing up in Montana a century ago. Well crafted by a writer who has a good way with words. Not expecting any white-knuckle adventures to develop.

Finished Gone Girl, which was a little bit disappointing. I thought it had too many plodding parts where I could speed-read for a couple of pages. But a good story that fit together, and certainly did not have the defect of predictability. Good, but not great writing style.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-28-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Whistling Season, Ivan Doig's nice little book about a boy growing up in Montana a century ago. Well crafted by a writer who has a good way with words. Not expecting any white-knuckle adventures to develop.

Finished Gone Girl, which was a little bit disappointing. I thought it had too many plodding parts where I could speed-read for a couple of pages. But a good story that fit together, and certainly did not have the defect of predictability. Good, but not great writing style.

I have read all of ivan Doigs books and loved them all . I cannot agree more that he is an awesome writer.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 AM

9,232 posts, read 8,379,996 times
Quote:
I have read all of ivan Doigs books and loved them all . I cannot agree more that he is an awesome writer.
Yes, he can really bring the reader into the story, can't he? I still recall one of his works about their life on the farm raising sheep. There was one passage about the parasites that can get into the sheeps' wool that still makes my skin crawl.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM

13,306 posts, read 28,344,552 times
The Color of Water by James McBride and I'm really enjoying it

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM

DH came back from the library yesterday with TWO holds, one of which I'd expected but I'd put a suspend on the other so I would have time to finish "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." Now I have to decide whether to suspend my reading Larsson's book for one of the others:

"The Roots of Heaven," by Romain Gary -- which is odd because I don't know what prompted me to reserve it, and cannot find any english information online about it other than that it was published in '56 as a French novel, and was used for a popular film in '58.

"Skull Session," by Daniel Hecht, which I do remember reserving after finishing his audiobook, "The Bones of the Barbary Coast." I really like the way this author weaves his stories. His characters are usually well portrayed without belaboring the descriptions, and there is always something in store ahead in his stories that makes me want to keep reading.

All this at such a busy time. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, he can really bring the reader into the story, can't he? I still recall one of his works about their life on the farm raising sheep. There was one passage about the parasites that can get into the sheeps' wool that still makes my skin crawl.
That one was either prarie nocturne or this house of sky cant remember which one but yeah read the same passage and it made my skin crawl too .

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
That one was either prarie nocturne or this house of sky cant remember which one but yeah read the same passage and it made my skin crawl too .
It must've been "This House of Sky" because I have not read "Prairie Nocturne."

Now you've gotten me to go look at his books, and I recalled that I was going to read his story "The Sea Runners" and don't believe I ever did, so I just placed a hold on the next available Kindle version.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM

101 posts, read 247,050 times
I have been reading 50 Shades of Grey for months now. I'm stuck at the elevator. Despite all the commotion and rumors involving Ian Somerhalder, I just can't get hooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books