Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Have you read "A Confederacy of Dunces"? I can't imagine someone not finding that funny.
A Confederacy of Dunces? Now THAT was funny! Yes, yes, yes.

As for this book (Care of Wooden Floors), I'm not finding it funny (amusing, perhaps), but I *am* liking it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Have you read "A Confederacy of Dunces"? I can't imagine someone not finding that funny.
OMG..one of my all time favorites

Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
OMG..one of my all time favorites

Quote:
When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.

What I found so heartbreaking was that, after I'd read it -- forced to read it, actually, by my brother-in-law, who I later thanked profusely -- I read about the author a bit. He could not get it published. It was only published after his death, by suicide... and he also posthumously received the Pulitzer Prize for it. So sad that he didn't live to see his work so appreciated.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

What I found so heartbreaking was that, after I'd read it -- forced to read it, actually, by my brother-in-law, who I later thanked profusely -- I read about the author a bit. He could not get it published. It was only published after his death, by suicide... and he also posthumously received the Pulitzer Prize for it. So sad that he didn't live to see his work so appreciated.
Agree....sad indeed

Didn't his Mom really push to get it published after his death???

Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Agree....sad indeed

Didn't his Mom really push to get it published after his death???
I just looked it up. Yes, his Mom... along with Walker Percy, whose book The Moviegoer, I coincidentally just purchased a few hours ago. (It's so weird when those things happen!)

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I finally read The Mote in God's Eye by David Niven. Ho hum. I mean, I guess it was okay enough for me to keep reading but I didn't really care about any of the characters. I picked up The Game of Thrones which has also been sitting around here forever, but I wasn't quite in the mood for starting a new book.

After a few very cold days, which I spent a lot of time outside, I feel chilled to the bone and can't seem to warm myself up so I'm procrastinating and trying to get my courage up to brave the outdoors again, even though it is much milder out today. Relatively speaking. But I really want to go straight back under the covers.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Cold Days by Jim Butcher

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
read about the author a bit. He could not get it published. It was only published after his death, by suicide... and he also posthumously received the Pulitzer Prize for it. So sad that he didn't live to see his work so appreciated.
Lesson for the living: Never give up. (I think that was Churchill... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
After a few very cold days, which I spent a lot of time outside, I feel chilled to the bone and can't seem to warm myself up so I'm procrastinating and trying to get my courage up to brave the outdoors again, even though it is much milder out today. Relatively speaking. But I really want to go straight back under the covers.
Perhaps it's time to follow RjRobb2'd lead and pickup "Cold Days"? (But stay under those covers when you do. )

Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,279 times
Conquerors' Pride - Timothy Zahn.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Im getting ready to start the lincoln conspiracy supposidly pretty good according to my brother in law yes he is another reader but he tends to read the conspiracy books more than anything else . He and I can discuss books to great length his wife and my husband go batty over it LOL ... but hey a little controversy is a good thing especially over books , LOL .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books