Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just checked and amazon has The Complete Works of Henry James for $2.99 for the Kindle.
That's "a whole lotta" James!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That's "a whole lotta" James!
Yeah, it's too much James, IMO.

For some reason I thought he wrote The Children's Hour but when I checked it was Lillian Hellman. Can't believe I had the wrong author. I love nearly everything that Hellman wrote.

One of my fav quotes comes from her during the HUAC fiasco (House UnAmerican Committee):

"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashion."

The title of the above book reminds me that in high school I remember two things that I had to memorize....well, actually three:

Preamble to the United States Constitution

The prologue to "The Canterbury Tales" in olde English

The poem "The Children's Hour."

So I might not remember what I watched on TV yesterday but I can still recite those three things.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
So I might not remember what I watched on TV yesterday but I can still recite those three things.
Can you recall whether you watched TV yesterday?

I looked up the works of Henry James on Wikipedia, and found 23 novels, 112 short stories/novellas, and 32 "Other" (whatever that means). He could be the subject matter of a complete thesis, and probably has been. I wonder just how "complete" that kindle version actually is?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Can you recall whether you watched TV yesterday?

I looked up the works of Henry James on Wikipedia, and found 23 novels, 112 short stories/novellas, and 32 "Other" (whatever that means). He could be the subject matter of a complete thesis, and probably has been. I wonder just how "complete" that kindle version actually is?
I just checked and it is the whole banana. They even warn that the book is so "big" that it will take extra time to download.

I believe the only work of his that I have read is The Turn of the Screw which spooked me out big time.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I just checked and it is the whole banana. They even warn that the book is so "big" that it will take extra time to download.

I believe the only work of his that I have read is The Turn of the Screw which spooked me out big time.
I think I will pass on the kindle version. It's hard enough for me to keep track of where I am in a one story, without having to wade through hundreds of them! Maybe if the Kindle's navigation was easier for me, but it seems to give me problems. I've only recently mastered using the "back" button.

I saw the movie "The Turn of the Screw" in junior high school. (They played it in segments over our lunch break in the auditorium.) Being in a large, dark auditorium with a few hundred classmates made it less spooky, not least because of all the distractions.

Later, I watched it on late night TV, and had nightmares for weeks. I've never been able to think about Vincent Price or dark basements without shuddering, since. It creeps me out now, just thinking about it.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Still on the road and not too much time for reading.

I did finish Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt and I liked it.

Last night I finished These Things Hidden which I also enjoyed.
Amazon.com: These Things Hidden (9780778328797): Heather Gudenkauf: Books

Not sure which is next but I am at anew campground and they have a big library

Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,762 times
(I haven't been around for a long time... maybe some of you recognize me anyway!)

I haven't been able to read nearly as much as usual.

Just finished for a second time The Year of Wonders. It is a good story!

In the Garden of Beasts, about the climate in Germany in the mid '30s. Interesting.

I have a pile of books waiting for me...hopefully I'll get back on the ball & actually read them!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times
I'm reading You can't Win by Jack Black.
The last book I read was Frankenstein.

I'm giving rep to younglisa, Mayberry, and ketabcha for reading and using the internet.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
I'm still reading East of Eden. I'm 91% done and I'm ready for it to end. I don't know if it's my mood or if the book kind of fizzles at the end, but I feel like the excitement is gone.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

I just finished Subterranean by Rollins and I'm now starting Season of the Witch by Arni Thorarinsson. This one is about Iceland and a reporter who is moved from a metro area to the north which is very rural. Mostly I'm reading it because I don't know much about Iceland and I think I'll learn a lot about it from the author. It is fiction and there is a murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books