Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
There is practically zero details about Seattle in the book other than the main character's initial loathing of it. 95% of the book is about her and the people in her life.
Well, that makes it more interesting!

Truthfully, DH and I loved Seattle the first five years we lived there, and he still does, which is why we live only less than ten miles from the city limits. Me, not so much. Something about how trashy the people are -- at least according to my Midwestern values. I simply do not stomach people throwing their garbage in other's yards, and leaving one's garbage out on the walk all week so it's there for the weekly pick up. Rats crawling around one's yard is another thing that gave me the heebie-geebies (not ours, but neighbors -- probably from not keeping their trash contained). If it was only one incident you could call me a busybody, but I've walked the city from border to border and biked the rest, and it's everywhere.

Okay, now that I've give One reason to hate Seattle, I'll get off my soapbox and back to books. (Sorry, but not sorry enough to delete it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Just finished "Fifty Shades of Grey", which I liked more than I thought I would. Some of my detailed comments can be fouind in the thread on that title in this forum.

Started Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder". I'd never heard of her, and I find her first chapter very pleasing to read. I expect to enjoy it. I also picked up Romain Gary's "Roots of Heaven" to get through the holidays, since the library willl be closed.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Started Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder". I'd never heard of her, and I find her first chapter very pleasing to read. I expect to enjoy it.
I didn't like the story idea for State of Wonder, so I never bothered to read it. However, if you like her writing style, you might want to try three of hers that I did enjoy: Bel Canto, The Patron Saint of Liars, and Truth & Beauty (this one is non-fiction).

Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
I'm currently reading Nora Roberts "Carolina Moon" however my Supernatural book "Coyote's Kiss" by Christa Faust just came in the mail today & I've been looking for this book for a year & a half. So I may leave "Carolina Moon" & start "Coyote's Kiss". Oh decisions, decisions.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
I'm currently reading T.H. White's The Once and Future King.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Just finished Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, which is one of my favorite of his so far. Any suggestions for the next one?

I am having the HARDEST time getting through Cloud Atlas, some parts I totally get into, them they switch to one I find boring. I'm 85% of the way.... I'm determined to find out how it comes together.

I'm almost done with Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me. I had the same reaction to the book as her TV show.... I loved it at first, then got bored.

Just got Gone Girl from the library, and stayed up way too late last night because of it.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
Now reading John Sandford..."Wicked Prey".....predictable but a good quick read..

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
At last I started a book that is so good I turned the sound off on the tv. : )

I've been having a problem getting into a book for a little while.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It's science fiction so not everyone will find it as good as I do. But I am quietly screaming "Yippee!" because I've connected with a book.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Harold Waldvin Percival
Thinking and Destiny.
Don't need to read anything else.

Can be read online at thewordfoundation.org
It's non profit org, hope, it's not against the rules to link.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just finished Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, which is one of my favorite of his so far. Any suggestions for the next one?
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Discworld series. I don't think I even read them in order and I still enjoyed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books