Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times

Advertisements

I finished "Angle of Repose," which I already posted my comments about. I guess I am glad that I read it so that I could be introduced to Mary Hallock Foote's art and writing, but the whole plagiarism thing really bothers me. Some sources say that 10% of the book is written by Foote, but I'll bet it is more. I have ordered her own memoir from Amazon.

Prior to that, I read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller, another in my post-apocalyptic run, which I really enjoyed.

Now I am a couple hours into "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachael Joyce, about a 65 year-old man who has decided on the spur of the moment to walk from the southern west coast of England to a town on the northeastern border with Scotland. He is talking about all the places he is walking, including road numbers, so I am sitting at my computer listening to the audio book and walking along with him on Google Street view, which makes it much more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Feeling a little sad around the holidays and even more so after CT school tragedy, went to the library to find a humorous book to read...

The Dog Who Knew Too Much
by Spencer Quinn (NYT bestseller author)

SO FUNNY and clever (not silly) and entertaining- just wanted to plug it on CD! (apparently it's one of a series)

The antics of detective team Chet (dog) and Bernie (owner)....
and Chet narrates the book.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Now I am a couple hours into "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachael Joyce, about a 65 year-old man who has decided on the spur of the moment to walk from the southern west coast of England to a town on the northeastern border with Scotland. He is talking about all the places he is walking, including road numbers, so I am sitting at my computer listening to the audio book and walking along with him on Google Street view, which makes it much more fun.
What a fun idea! We used GSV during our travels to pre-screen RV parks (which are often misleading in their websites), but I've never thought of using it with a book. You are a genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Feeling a little sad around the holidays and even more so after CT school tragedy, went to the library to find a humorous book to read...The Dog Who Knew Too Much
by Spencer Quinn (NYT bestseller author) The antics of detective team Chet (dog) and Bernie (owner)....
and Chet narrates the book.
I am so glad you have such a healthy way to counter the holiday blues. So many are effected, but few seem to know they can do something to change it. You are an inspiration.

I've been so busy with taking care of year end stuff that there's been little time to read, but so far still good on East of Eden. It's nice to have Cathy out of the picture for a spell, and wish Adam would take Samuel's advice about going through the motions of living. What about those poor baby sons of his?

(Yes, I am caught up in the story. )

Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
There is a couple in our neighborhood that walks their old dog in a baby buggy with the sides covered with netting. The dog sits or lies down and watches what's happening -- seems to love it. It might be a way for you to both still enjoy an outing?

As for Elizabeth George, she's always been an author that gets my attention, but I cannot always give her good reviews. I hope this one is a good one.

Ha ha...I thought of a little red wagon but my DH would not go for that.

I read about 10 pages of the Elizabeth George Book....not my kind of book. I will swap it out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Poor pup! Hope she feels better soon. Hugs to her!!

I finished my afghan project last night so I'm planning on reading tonight since all of my shows are repeats these days and we are almost completely caught up on what we've DVR'd. Yay!!
Aww...Minnie sounds great. Yes...dogs can spell, lol.

Thanks for the Niki hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just finished "Fifty Shades of Grey", which I liked more than I thought I would. Some of my detailed comments can be fouind in the thread on that title in this forum.
I keep going back and forth on wanting to read that book. Some of the reviews on Amazon are very amusing. Someday I may try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
I'm currently reading Nora Roberts "Carolina Moon" however my Supernatural book "Coyote's Kiss" by Christa Faust just came in the mail today & I've been looking for this book for a year & a half. So I may leave "Carolina Moon" & start "Coyote's Kiss". Oh decisions, decisions.
Nora Robers has been a favorite of mine for over 25 years. Enjoy your books.

I will be finishing The Kitchen House today. It is an easy read and I am enjoying it.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Aww...Minnie sounds great. Yes...dogs can spell, lol.

Thanks for the Niki hugs
Thanks and you're welcome!!

So I think I read one chapter yesterday after all my talk about reading last night. Today probably is just going to be too busy for reading too. Maybe on the way to see family this weekend I can read. I'll be bringing along **** the Kindle, so I can read in the dark.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
**** the Kindle
OMG, I love you!!!!! Good thing that I didn't have coffee in my mouth or it would have been sprayed all over my laptop! What a good laugh you just gave me!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To everyone: We're not keeping the joke from you; it's just something S and I talked about the other day. I think she knew that I needed a good belly laugh this morning.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OMG, I love you!!!!! Good thing that I didn't have coffee in my mouth or it would have been sprayed all over my laptop! What a good laugh you just gave me!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To everyone: We're not keeping the joke from you; it's just something S and I talked about the other day. I think she knew that I needed a good belly laugh this morning.
I thought it was a good morning for a good laugh! Glad I was able to give you that laugh!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished Old Man's War and went right into the next in the series, The Ghost Brigades.

But, I also started Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage.

I saw this family on a TLC special. One husband and three wives. I've read so many books on polygamy that it is actually nice to read one about folks in their 40s who actually get along and live a fairly ordinary life except for the polygamy. The women dress well, hold jobs and so does the husband who is a likeable guy. I like these people. Then again, I can easily be fooled by people because I figure they are all nice until they prove they are not. But I think I am right about these folks.

So I am bouncing back and forth between humans colonizing the universe and a family of polygamists.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can easily be fooled by people because I figure they are all nice until they prove they are not. But I think I am right about these folks. ... So I am bouncing back and forth between humans colonizing the universe and a family of polygamists.
Party @ K's place! Bring all the wives!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished Old Man's War and went right into the next in the series, The Ghost Brigades.

So I am bouncing back and forth between humans colonizing the universe and a family of polygamists.

They do form a theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books