Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad you guys mentioned not reading a book if you can't get into. I was always a "if you start it, you finish it", until recently I thought "This is stupid, you read for enjoyment. If you don't like it, don't read it!" I have a pretty anal retentive personality, so this was kinda an epiphany for me.

Right now Ii'm readingn The Way of Shadows, by Brent Weeks and I'm really enjoying it. Also, The Confessions of Catherine de Medici, which feeds my current obsession with Italian royalty (on the heels of an English obsession). This is what happens when I watch shows like The Tudors and Borgia.

Just starting What the Dog Saw (2nd book I think?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Loved that trilogy just sad the author passed and we will never have the remainder he was writing...
I know. I was crushed when I learned it. I was like: "What? Really? No!" (Like that. ) Too many good die young. It's just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
...the quality of the writing in comparison to the other two mentioned above, is just so mentally refreshing. I do read popular fiction, but all the same, it's kind of a mental relief when you read someone who is well-read and it shows in their writing.
I too find relief in well-written works, and I don't think anyone can really write well unless they also read. Non-reading, successful authors may be out there, but I cannot imagine they have the same magic in their work.

I haven't picked up the tatooed lady all day and I am feeling edgy. I have to go read.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
As it turns out, my copy of "Cutting For Stone" was missing about 50 pages. Argh. It wasn't available at the library, so I went to Barnes and Noble, grabbed a copy, plopped down on the floor and zoomed through the end. Thought it was a beautifully bittersweet ending to an amazing book. I'm sure I'll be buying another (whole) copy to take my time and read again.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
... so I went to Barnes and Noble, grabbed a copy, plopped down on the floor and zoomed through the end...
I have the visual, and it's great!

(I wonder how many people were thinking: "Did she read the WHOLE thing sitting there?" )

Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have the visual, and it's great!

(I wonder how many people were thinking: "Did she read the WHOLE thing sitting there?" )
Lol. They used to have chairs in there but I couldn't find one, except in the coffee shop. Guess it's to keep deadbeats like me from reading books for free.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I finished Gone Girl. I have to say I'm surprised I managed to read the whole thing and actually enjoy the book when I didn't like a single character in it. Very unusual for me, so props to Ms. Flynn on her well-written novel.

I am currently reading Red from Ted Dekker's Circle series. I had set it aside a few months back as I found I wasn't enjoying reading that much on the iPod or iPad. Now that I have my Kindle, I'm back to reading it and enjoying it.

I was very happy that I went through my books yesterday and managed to find quite a few that I figured I would never read. Some I will pass on to my mom and others I will donate. It felt good to thin the shelves - especially considering my sister has a load of books waiting for me and I'll be going to see her in 2-1/2 weeks.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Just started Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip, Confessions of a Cynical Waiter. I was sucked in by page 1 of the preface.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished Gone Girl. I have to say I'm surprised I managed to read the whole thing and actually enjoy the book when I didn't like a single character in it. Very unusual for me, ... my sister has a load of books waiting for me and I'll be going to see her in 2-1/2 weeks.
You aren't the first one to make that comment about "Gone Girl" and I am hoping I will be able to read it, if I ever get to the front of the line!

As for that box of books, how EXCITING! I remember years ago my great-uncle had come to visit us from MS, and was scrutinizing my books, thoughtfully. He was a scientist and quite intellectual, and I was feeling a little like a school girl caught out of class.

Weeks after he'd returned home, I received a large box in the mail from him. A very heavy box. Intrigued, I opened it and found it full of paperback mysteries! Amazingly enough, though I had not read any of the titles -- and many we'd not even known the authors, but they were all great reads. It was just like they'd been picked for us. Perhaps, they were.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm still with Cutting for Stone. What a lovely and intense book.

I realized early on just how much I am learning in this book. I tend to look up anything that I find interesting (thank God for the internet).

For instance, I knew who Haile Selassi was (Emporer of Ethiopia) but did not know that the Rastaferians pretty much worship him. Selassi's name was Taferian before his coronation and Ras means something along the lines of "leader." Thus, Rastaferians.

Besides being an excellent author of beauty, wit, and character development, Abraham Verghese uses his writing ability to give us lessons in history, culture and the arts that are woven into the story so well that the reader does not yawn. I just love that about him. I really learn so much from an author like this one.

Did I mention that I really like this book?

Last edited by Ketabcha; 01-01-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You aren't the first one to make that comment about "Gone Girl" and I am hoping I will be able to read it, if I ever get to the front of the line!

As for that box of books, how EXCITING! I remember years ago my great-uncle had come to visit us from MS, and was scrutinizing my books, thoughtfully. He was a scientist and quite intellectual, and I was feeling a little like a school girl caught out of class.

Weeks after he'd returned home, I received a large box in the mail from him. A very heavy box. Intrigued, I opened it and found it full of paperback mysteries! Amazingly enough, though I had not read any of the titles -- and many we'd not even known the authors, but they were all great reads. It was just like they'd been picked for us. Perhaps, they were.
My sister has started to prefer eBooks, so she's passing loads onto me. It is definitely exciting, but sometimes I end up with stuff I won't read or already have read. She makes sure to let me know I can do with the books as I please.

Oh my gosh, though, would I love to get an unexpected box of books in the mail! That would be so awesome!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books