Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Definitely give "Skeletons" a try, I really thought it was a good book, although it is a WW2 book and has some disturbing things in it.

I just went to the library and got two books on audio CD, something I haven't done in a while. I got "Still Alice" because everybody here says it was great, and I got Stephen King's "11/22/63." Neither of these is available on the downloadable library site, so I'm glad the library had them. "11/22/63" is on 30 CDs - yikes - I'll be ripping them for the next hour or so. Downloadable is soooo much easier.

The thing about "Cutting for Stone" that left the biggest impression on me was (I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, but it might be, so I'm hiding it)
Spoiler
the part dealing with female genital mutilation. I did a lot of reading about it afterward, and it is quite controversial. While I don't want to go off topic here, there was an article written in December on a site called Sociological Images where the author attempted to show a "balanced look at FGM" which drew a ton of criticism. If you're interested, here is the link: A Balanced Look at Female Genital “Mutilation” » Sociological Images It is the comments that are most interesting.
That got to me too. And that story line in general, Marion and Genet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Ah, yes THAT. Strangely, it didn't even come to my mind. In my aging years, I have come to the conclusion that I have to allow others their own cultures and beliefs, and that falls under those categories to me. Societies are like children, they mature and evolve at different paces and in different directions.
I understand what you're saying, but I honestly can't think of any reason to justify that practice. I hope you're right about societies maturing and evolving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Currently reading The Speckled Monster, by Jennifer Lee Carrell, which is the story of the battle against Smallpox. It's ok so far, but I think it's going to be too long.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

I have never and probably will never read a better book than this one. I honestly weep because I have finished it. I wanted it to go on and on and on. It has touched me deeply and will always be with me.

There are so many characters that I love in this book and really only one I feel nothing but disdain (mixed with pity) for. I want to call up these folks and tell them how much I love them and then I remember that they are fictional. I refuse to acknowledge the fiction and rather believe that there are people in this world who are just as fine as these characters.

Many thanks to Abraham Verghese for presenting such a wondrous book to the world.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,655 times
Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz. This book is cracking me up.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
I'm trying to make it through The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. It's kinda slow going, and not incredibly interesting, yet I am still determined to finish it. I keep waiting for something to happen, I guess.

Finished The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Next up in my piles:
Fairer than Morning by Rosslyn Elliot
The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
The Serpent's Shadown by Rick Riordan
Son by Lois Lowry
Enclave by Ann Aguirre
Reached by Ally Condie
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlossler

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, shortly after discovering this in my readings (of other works) it came to me that this is probably the source of the visions so prevalent to near death experiences. I've had three occasions where circumstances threatened my life, and I can attest to the euphoric sense that comes over a body in physical danger, but have never actually had the visions. Guess I wasn't THAT close.
The author himself contributes instances from his own life, for example when he injured his leg while hiking & was in a hazardous situation, but "heard" a voice tell him what to do to save himself. He knew it was a hallucinated voice, though perception-wise, it seemed quite definite/"real". In the circumstances, it was the voice of reason-albeit generated from inside his own brain.
Hallucinations, or peculiarities of perception, can occur as result of severe stress, isolation, depletion, etc.-and, surprisingly, despite the "unreality" of such distortions, they don't always steer a person wrong. At times, having inadequate stimuli (deprivation-be it temporary or permanent, total or partial) is what provokes the disinhibition of experiencing/noticing "unreal" sensory impressions-such as being at sea or crossing the ice, for weeks or months on end, in a nearly unvarying landscape (as very much used to be the case with slow travel & explorations).

Didn't mean to go off on tangent that might be off the thread topic.
My point is that in this book, Sacks really opens up the seemingly circumscribed topic. He causes one to examine broad range of how hallucinations manifest (with and without co-occurring conditions) and that they can encompass painful aberrations as well as harmless/comforting illusions.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im reading once upon a river by bonnie jo campbell . so far it is okay not something that you cant put down because it is not one of those books .But it is an okay read .

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Reached by Ally Condie
I'm going to assume you read the first two books in this trilogy. What did you think of them? My friend's 12-year-old daughter has read the first two and loved them. I told my friend I would try to find all three at the thrift shop. I'm curious to know what an avid reader thinks of them.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Realized I've been MIA from the board from awhile. It turns out it takes FOREVER for me to read lengthy books. Finally finished Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. If you have any interest in books about Abraham Lincoln, this is a must-read. Excellent, excellent book. Goodwin focuses on Lincoln's incorporation of his political rivals into his cabinet and why he did this. I know the movie Lincoln is supposedly based on Team of Rivals, but the battle to pass the 13th Amendment was only 4 pages in the book, so the book is much, much more than the movie. I'm sad I'm finished with this one.

Tonight I am going to start on Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President by Candace Millard, about James Garfield. It has gotten great reviews.

Hope everyone's reading has been going well!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM

46 posts, read 66,027 times
I like fantasy books. Number on one my list is harry potter of course. All the books. I also find Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians great. Especially when he made that next part touching on the Roman Mythology. Supernatural also great the vampire diaries by LJ smith. Inspirational books are also good. I love those books authored Mitch Albom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books