Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Reputation: 36644

Advertisements

Tim Winton's "Dirt Music", a gritty novel about life in remote Western Australia. Writing rangers from scatter-shot to pretty descriptive, worth a read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Reputation: 73729
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That didn't take long.

I HATE this book. Rarely do I have such hostility to an author, even if I don't like the work, but this author is on my NOT a CHANCE list.

1. I hate the style. Short sentences constructed for third grade readers.
2. Non-stop descriptions of Margaret's activities without once informing the reader who Margaret is: no age, no level of robustness or infirmity, nothing. In fact, the reader learns more about her little black dog than about her.
3. And this was the straw -- I don't care who the author is, it is a SIN to kill off a little black dog in the first pages.

My only regret is that it was on my Kindle, so I couldn't have the joy of stomping on it before removing it from my list.

Still fuming. I may not read any more today.

(Makes a personal note to be very, very nice to LFM from now on.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That didn't take long.

I HATE this book. Rarely do I have such hostility to an author, even if I don't like the work, but this author is on my NOT a CHANCE list.

1. I hate the style. Short sentences constructed for third grade readers.
2. Non-stop descriptions of Margaret's activities without once informing the reader who Margaret is: no age, no level of robustness or infirmity, nothing. In fact, the reader learns more about her little black dog than about her.
3. And this was the straw -- I don't care who the author is, it is a SIN to kill off a little black dog in the first pages.

My only regret is that it was on my Kindle, so I couldn't have the joy of stomping on it before removing it from my list.

Still fuming. I may not read any more today.
I shouldn't laugh, but I am. I would hate it too. I hate it based on just reading your opinion of it. But I can't stop laughing at the idea of you stomping on the book with great joy if it weren't on your Kindle. I almost wish it had been a book. Thank you for the laugh and I'll be sure to not even look at this book on Amazon EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
(Makes a personal note to be very, very nice to LFM from now on.)
Guess I am sort of like the little girl with the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When I am good I am very good, but when I am bad... just horrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I shouldn't laugh, but I am. I would hate it too. I hate it based on just reading your opinion of it. But I can't stop laughing at the idea of you stomping on the book with great joy if it weren't on your Kindle. I almost wish it had been a book. Thank you for the laugh and I'll be sure to not even look at this book on Amazon EVER.
Yes, I can laugh about it now, and maybe I just wasn't in a reading mood to start, but I thought I really wanted to read a book, and it sounded interesting. Then on the very first Kindle page I am thinking: "What the heck is this?" and it just went south from there.

I went through several more after that one, reading the first 3% and then deleting them -- though I promise, Mikala, I was much more civilized in my thoughts!

Finally I got the Salman Rushdie's "Shalimar the Clown" and hung with that until DH asked if I wanted to watch the DVD "Baraka" with him. (I did, and WOW!!! -- what a DVD. A must watch. )

The funny thing about "Shalimar" is that I feel like I've read it before, but it doesn't really look familiar when I read the description. Maybe I started to read it once and got interrupted.

FrUpThr, I am glad you got a laugh out of my spin out, and Mikala -- truly, I am a nice person, really. Unless, of course, you plan on killing a little black dog....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Guess I am sort of like the little girl with the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When I am good I am very good, but when I am bad... just horrid.



Yes, I can laugh about it now, and maybe I just wasn't in a reading mood to start, but I thought I really wanted to read a book, and it sounded interesting. Then on the very first Kindle page I am thinking: "What the heck is this?" and it just went south from there.

I went through several more after that one, reading the first 3% and then deleting them -- though I promise, Mikala, I was much more civilized in my thoughts!

Finally I got the Salman Rushdie's "Shalimar the Clown" and hung with that until DH asked if I wanted to watch the DVD "Baraka" with him. (I did, and WOW!!! -- what a DVD. A must watch. )

The funny thing about "Shalimar" is that I feel like I've read it before, but it doesn't really look familiar when I read the description. Maybe I started to read it once and got interrupted.

FrUpThr, I am glad you got a laugh out of my spin out, and Mikala -- truly, I am a nice person, really. Unless, of course, you plan on killing a little black dog....
I'm glad you can laugh now too.

Yah know, I actually remember reading Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle and thinking I've read this. So much of it was very familiar, but I am almost positive I never did read it before. Then I saw there was a Lifetime movie made based on it, so I watched a little of that. Nope, that didn't do it either. It is still weird to me when I think on it because it is just way too eery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I actually remember reading Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle and thinking I've read this. So much of it was very familiar, but I am almost positive I never did read it before. Then I saw there was a Lifetime movie made based on it, so I watched a little of that. Nope, that didn't do it either. It is still weird to me when I think on it because it is just way too eery.
Sometimes I think maybe the author's read other's works that maybe I've read, and then somehow unconsciously use plot lines with other characters and I end up reading their works. It's the only thing I can think of, because it couldn't possibly be my memory is failing!

In this case, I've only read one book by Rushdie, and it wasn't this one, at least -- I don't think it was....

Say hi to Minnie and the other kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Utah
1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
.........

Now I am reading The Books of Rachel by Joel Gross which is going to be a lot like Michener's The Source.
I read The Books of Rachel years ago. Although I don't remember many specifics, I did like the "line" & it has stuck with me.

I just finished Left Neglected by Lisa Genova, it wasn't unlike her Still Alice. It's about an ambitious career woman who sustains a brain injury. It should make for a good discussion at Book Club.

Currently I am reading The World is My Home by Michener. Although what I've read so far is entertaining, I don't know if I'll continue with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Sometimes I think maybe the author's read other's works that maybe I've read, and then somehow unconsciously use plot lines with other characters and I end up reading their works. It's the only thing I can think of, because it couldn't possibly be my memory is failing!

In this case, I've only read one book by Rushdie, and it wasn't this one, at least -- I don't think it was....

Say hi to Minnie and the other kids!
I think I've experienced that feeling before when reading, but I don't think that was the case with The Tenth Circle so I guess I could have read it but maybe the title was torn off it??

I will and you say hello to Bigun and the rest of the fam too.

I am cruising along in Ted Dekker's Red. I am enjoying it, but I think I'm starting to get in the mood for something else. There's a flavor of fantasy in this series, and I'm thinking this isn't the genre I want to read right now. So I won't read the next "color" when I'm done with Red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Reputation: 62766
I just finished Joel Gross's book The Books of Rachel.
I enjoyed it and I recommend it.

Now I am going to read Final Vision: The Last Word on Jeffrey MacDonald by Joe McGinniss.

MacDonald is trying for a new trial in January of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
Reputation: 30253
Finished "Anna dressed in Blood" really quick. Great book if you like something along the line of the Odd Thomas series.

Now I'm diving into Cloud Atlas on my kindle and also Shopaholic Abroad. I think the first book was hilarious so I might enjoy the second one, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top