Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times

Advertisements

I just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayer - just squeaked it in for Book Club tonight! I liked it more than I thought I would and I really enjoyed the talk about hiking (I have hiked sections of the AT).

I am hoping that hiking the PCT wasn't the end of Strayer's therapy though as she has some serious issues. The author notes at the end indicated that she got her act together with a husband and children. That said, not sure that I'd want my kids to ever read the graphic details of such an unraveling!

Now, I'd like to get back to my new friend, Marjorie Morningstar, but I'm heading out of town and need a Kindle option rather than the rather chunky paperback, Marjorie. I think I'll do a little shopping today... Maybe The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. Hmmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I think I'll do a little shopping today... Maybe The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. Hmmmm....
Ooooh, let me know how you like it. I'm close to the top of the list of the Kindle holds for this and I think that I've been building up the goodness in my head -- I hate when I give into my own hype and end up disappointed. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,525,585 times
Quote:
Now, I'd like to get back to my new friend, Marjorie Morningstar, but I'm heading out of town and need a Kindle option rather than the rather chunky paperback, Marjorie. I think I'll do a little shopping today... Maybe The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. Hmmmm....
I am going to have to look for Marjorie. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think that I've been building up the goodness in my head -- I hate when I give into my own hype and end up disappointed.
Thanks for that reminder! That is the story of my life. I call it excessive optimism and try very hard to not do it -- and then I do it again, and again, and again -- ad nauseam. I am starting something new, not just books -- jobs, friendship, whatever -- and build this fantasy scene that nothing real can EVER accomplish, then I fall into disappointment and despair.

Maybe I should go hike a trail!

As for reading. I have definitely read "Shalimar the Clown" before, though I don't recall when, or what happened, so now I am trying to decide if I am enjoying it enough to take the time to re-read it when I have so many in queue to read. I really like Rushdie's writing, and I think I may just proceed. Will see.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Had a lovely evening last night. Finished Red and watched Downton Abbey. Red got really, really good and I almost went on to read White but I held off. I started Coraline. Just not sure what I'm in the mood for, so I thought a children's book might be fun while I figure out what sounds good.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,177,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Had a lovely evening last night. Finished Red and watched Downton Abbey. Red got really, really good and I almost went on to read White but I held off. I started Coraline. Just not sure what I'm in the mood for, so I thought a children's book might be fun while I figure out what sounds good.
I liked "Coraline" a lot. Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" is good too, as is "Stardust" and especially "Good Omens" which is Gaiman w/Terry Pratchett. He is also a great narrator of his own books.

I finished "Still Alice" a couple of days ago - I read it in a couple of days. It was hard to put down - it was also hard to pick up because it was so depressing and, personally for me, frightening. I guess I should consider myself lucky that both parents passed before anything like Alzheimer's could kick in. I witnessed early-onset Alzheimer's with an ex's mother and a close friend's mother. They both had it for over 30 years before they finally passed away. It was pretty horrible. The book was great, and I'm sure presented a pretty accurate picture of what it is like for the experiencer. It was really well-written - I can't believe it was her first book!

Spoiler
I especially liked the way the author wrote a passage showing Alice forgetting something, and then re-wrote it nearly word for word when she went through the same process over again. I thought that was a very effective way of showing what it must be like.

I'm glad the author had the children eventually rally around their mother, and also thought that she presented the conflict Alice's husband had as well.

Anyway, it was a great book, thanks for the recommendations.

I am taking a break from 11/22/63. Unfortunately, although he has gotten some rave reviews, the narrator for this goes WAYYYYYYYYY over the top with his characterizations as far as I am concerned. He has his characters regularly SHOUT the ends of sentences. I really have to wonder sometimes at the people who produce these audiobooks - don't they realize the vast majority of their audience listens through HEADPHONES?!? Owwwwwwwww!!! Plus, he gives another character a really annoying speech impediment - WHY?!? I checked the actual print on Google books, and the dialogue doesn't have any speech impediment written into it, nor does Stephen King say the character has one. ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!

So here is a case where the narrator is ruining a book for me. I want to go back to it as I was enjoying it when I wasn't being shouted at.

I am listening to another audiobook recommended by my sibling, "Dead Anyway" by Chris Knopf, and it has started off with a bang - literally. I think it is a murder mystery. I'm enjoying it so far.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
So here is a case where the narrator is ruining a book for me. I want to go back to it as I was enjoying it when I wasn't being shouted at.
So, I guess that book is best READ! (Could not resist. Sorry.)

Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,177,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
So, I guess that book is best READ! (Could not resist. Sorry.)

OWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

: wanders off with ringing in ears . . . :

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
: wanders off with ringing in ears . . . :
Glad you have a sense of humor!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
I don't typically use book review lists to help me choose my next book, but I was reading the NY Times and saw that their book critics put out a list of their favorite books of 2012 - not necessarily what they would consider the best books, but their favorite ones of all the ones that they reviewed. (As we all know, there is a difference between "best" and "favorite".

So, from that list I chose Twelve Tribes of Hattie and Where'd You Go, Bernadette? to accompany me on my trip this week. Not sure how much reading time I'll really have (driving out of town to run a half-marathon), but I always like a selection.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Not sure how much reading time I'll really have (driving out of town to run a half-marathon), but I always like a selection.
DH and I always take several books with us on any outing expected to last more than one night. It isn't that we expect to read them all, but that if one (or more) prove not to catch our imaginations, we have back ups! Lord forgive us if we ever had some time and could not read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books