Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

This week I read Coraline, Push and Soul Surfer. I haven't figured out what to read next yet. Minnie is at the vet today/tonight for spaying and microchipping, so until I get that call saying surgery went well I'm having a hard time thinking about what to read next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Defending Jacob is terrific---and I usually don't read legal-type books. Loved Gone Girl. Didn't read Coraline, but loved the animated film (I'm assuming it's the same Coraline).

Okay----finally....a book I loved wholeheartedly: Memoirs of An Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks:

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel: Matthew Dicks: 9781250006219: Amazon.com: Books

It sounds a little ridiculous to describe it---like it's a little too precious. The book is narrated by Budo, an imaginary friend of Max, a nine year old boy with high functioning autism. It's extremely creative and soulful. It fully gets into the thoughts and emotions of imaginary friends----characters who know they exist only because of a child's imagination and that they could cease to stop existing when the child no longer needs them. It fascinated and engrossed me. It touches upon friendship, fitting in, sacrifices, parenting, teaching, etc. Even some action and adventure in it. Very poignant. I cried at the end....over imaginary friends (but they were just as fully realized as any "real" characters I've ever read in a book).

Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Okay----finally....a book I loved wholeheartedly: Memoirs of An Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks: The book is narrated by Budo, an imaginary friend of Max, a nine year old boy with high functioning autism. It's extremely creative and soulful. It fully gets into the thoughts and emotions of imaginary friends----characters who know they exist only because of a child's imagination and that they could cease to stop existing when the child no longer needs them.
It's weird that you should have typed this this post now, because reading about half way through Gillian Flynn's "Sharp Objects" last night, I came upon the protagonist's memories of her (warped) mother that strangely mirrored some of my memories of my own mother -- and up to that point I was having trouble relating to the protagonist! ANYWAY, THAT reminded me of MY imaginary friend, Cathy, that I had as a constant companion until my adolescence.

I think I am going to have to read that book. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Between a sick horse, an injured hubby, an old-fashioned blizzard, and a sick me, I haven't been able to settle down to one book but I am currently trying to read Ringworld Throne by Larry Niven. I lost interest in Kim Stanley Robinson's latest book, 2310. In his writing style he distances the characters so much from the reader, I just can't find myself caring about them. And I was at least 200 pages in. And I don't see it getting better since my feeling is that this is the style of the entire book. (Of course, if anyone here has read it and says he pulls it together, let me know and I'll reconsider.)

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I just started The Round House by Louise Erdrich (a 2012 National Book Award winner).

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM

I just finished "Sharp Objects," Gillian Flynn, and am stunned. Dazed.

The writing was so powerful that I felt compelled to read it, even while actually WANTING to do other things. Flynn doesn't hold anything back. Her characters' honesty is brutal, and yet I felt sorry for them. Even as I felt myself drawing away from them, as one does from something "not right," I still had to keep reading -- feeling slightly like one rubber-necking at an accident scene.

I hated the story, but the writing was worth the nightmares I will probably have tonight.

Did I mention that I've already reserved her "Dark Places"?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished "Sharp Objects," Gillian Flynn, and am stunned. Dazed.

The writing was so powerful that I felt compelled to read it, even while actually WANTING to do other things. Flynn doesn't hold anything back. Her characters' honesty is brutal, and yet I felt sorry for them. Even as I felt myself drawing away from them, as one does from something "not right," I still had to keep reading -- feeling slightly like one rubber-necking at an accident scene.

I hated the story, but the writing was worth the nightmares I will probably have tonight.

Did I mention that I've already reserved her "Dark Places"?
I was lah-de-dahing through your post, LFM, when I realized that I felt the same way about the writing style of the author of Gone Girl. Suddenly I thought, wait a minute! What is the name of the author of Gone Girl? Well, duh, Gillian Flynn. Duh duh duh.

Flynn is so extraordinary in her style but honestly, I could not stand either of the main characters. I disliked them so much that I stopped reading Gone Girl but two days later I picked it back up because I wanted to know how it ended.

I'm almost afraid to read Sharp Objects because the same thing might happen and then I will either have to finish the book or "ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston".....sorry, the Kingston Trio just popped into my mind.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm almost afraid to read Sharp Objects because the same thing might happen and then I will either have to finish the book or "ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston".....sorry, the Kingston Trio just popped into my mind.
No worries, K', those streets are in Missouri and never once go underground -- except in the hearts of those bleak characters.

I am going to leave "Gone Girl" until last, even though I know it is by far the most popular, simply because so many here have hated her ending and I think in this case that's a good way to finish reading her works. There is something so raw and gritty in her characters -- she gives you all their warts, bumps, and boils with their accompanying pains. Reading this work brought back many memories of my own past that I had pushed away and locked behind doors best left locked.

It seems today's writers are pushing themselves to open their locked doors and take a flashlight into their dark memories -- and discovering the sources of their fears and fantasies are more deserving of their sympathies and compassions. I have to believe this is a good thing for our human psyche. What has been too long concealed, now revealed, soon healed ...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
Finished up the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan (Throne of Fire and the Serpent's Shadow). Good entertaining reads, but not as engrossing as the original Percy Jackson series.

About 2/3 the way through The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman. I'm more interested in this than I was in the Cookbook Collector, but her storytelling is just a bit shy of pulling me in all the way. I want to find out what happens to the characters, but I don't particular care about them.

Next up? Choosing between
-Life of Pi (keep putting it down, but I'm still fairly early in)
-Sweeter than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliot
-Reached by Allie Condie
-Sam Walton: Made in America
-Fast Food Nation
-Jane Eyre
-Lord of the Flies (another that I keep putting down)

...and about 50 more books in my book pile, about 200 more books in my book lists/carts/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books