Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I suspect I will need to turn off my wifi so the library can't take the books back before I finish them. ..Or not, it seems unethical to me.
I don't think so. If you checked a book out from the library, you can keep it as long as you like and pay the fine when you return it. I think it is a bit "Big Brother" that they can access your eBook without your permission -- so, I never turned my WiFi on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,614,662 times
Just finished The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje. I recommend it. It starts out as a description of three young boys on an ocean voyage from Ceylon to England, but it goes far beyond what is already a good premise with engaging characters.

I'm not sure what's next. I'm still reading Showdown, David Corn's book about President Obama's confrontations with the Republican Congress in 2011, and that continues to be good, especially in the context of the current fiscal situation.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,707,572 times
The God-Seeker by Sinclair Lewis.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,911,707 times
I'm currently reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. It is fun and a little wacky, but very clever. The book is told through written communication between most characters with some narration by a middle schooler (daughter of Bernadette). Some parts have been laugh/read out loud funny, other parts just plain strange.

Only 34% done, but am happy that I have it to read.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,164,764 times
Currently on "A Dance With Dragons" by George R.R. Martin, the fifth of his "Song of Ice and Fire" series. I actually have not watched the HBO series as I wanted to read the books first. I've been completely obsessed. Reading this one is kind of bittersweet because he likely will not publish the next book in the series until 2015, so it will be quite a long wait. But at the same time, they are lonnnnng books which I've read back-to-back, and I feel myself getting a bit burnt out on them so I'm thinking a break will be a good thing.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,647,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Currently on "A Dance With Dragons" by George R.R. Martin, the fifth of his "Song of Ice and Fire" series. I actually have not watched the HBO series as I wanted to read the books first. I've been completely obsessed. Reading this one is kind of bittersweet because he likely will not publish the next book in the series until 2015, so it will be quite a long wait. But at the same time, they are lonnnnng books which I've read back-to-back, and I feel myself getting a bit burnt out on them so I'm thinking a break will be a good thing.
I read the first three and adored them, could NOT, would NOT put them down, read no books in between.

When I started the 4th book I completely lost interest. It was all characters I wasn't the most fond of and seemed to drag.

Did it get better? I'm wondering if I should try again.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM

633 posts, read 1,732,298 times
Michael Robotham - Bleed for me

Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,164,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I read the first three and adored them, could NOT, would NOT put them down, read no books in between.

When I started the 4th book I completely lost interest. It was all characters I wasn't the most fond of and seemed to drag.

Did it get better? I'm wondering if I should try again.
Yes! It does. Feast for Crows one does drag on a bit during the first half and I agree, I wasn't really into a lot characters either, but there are a lot of things that happen in the second half and you actually do indirectly find out what's going on with some of the characters that aren't in the book here and there. But yeah, I think a lot of it is Martin setting up the plot for the sixth book.

Also, it's worth reading just so you can get to Dance With Dragons - for the first half, it takes place during the same time as Feast but addresses all the places/characters that are not mentioned in Feast. But I would still highly recommend finishing Feast first.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,647,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Yes! It does. Feast for Crows one does drag on a bit during the first half and I agree, I wasn't really into a lot characters either, but there are a lot of things that happen in the second half and you actually do indirectly find out what's going on with some of the characters that aren't in the book here and there. But yeah, I think a lot of it is Martin setting up the plot for the sixth book.

Also, it's worth reading just so you can get to Dance With Dragons - for the first half, it takes place during the same time as Feast but addresses all the places/characters that are not mentioned in Feast. But I would still highly recommend finishing Feast first.
Thank you.... I'll give it another try.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,362,798 times
I finally finished East of Eden and loved it. Dropped off 5 of the 8 books that I got at the library 3 weeks ago and renewed my lease of the 3 that are still works in progress. I didn't intend to check out any additional books but there was a relatively new John Sandford - Mad River featured on one of the little kiosks close to the desk. Also found a new dog book What's a Dog For? by John Homans. If it's any good I'll most likely buy a copy because I do like to own books about dogs, lend them to lots of the other members of the humane society.

So I'm well set to sit out the storm that's due here tomorrow afternoon with predictions of 5 to 8 inches of snow for my location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books