Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,409,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
OK, someone besides me needs to read "Where'd You Go, Bernadette". This book is crazy! It reminds me a little of Gone Girl in that some of the goings on are so odd they must be meant to be tongue in cheek. I am half way through and absolutely have no clue how this dramedy will end!

However, in spite of how much I am enjoying this crazy book, I have decided that books like this that are put forth as a series of written communication (email, letters, memos, police reports...) between characters are a little lazy. It would be much easier to write in this style as you don't really have to deal with back and forth conversation and each character gets a voice all of their own.

Someone...???
I "read" the book on CD and I think that may be easier as the reader (actress Kathleen Wilhoite) does a very good job of differentiating the characters' voices, even when they are emailing each other.

I won't spoil it for you but I think you may be surprised by one character and the way they turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
...I have decided that books like this that are put forth as a series of written communication (email, letters, memos, police reports...) between characters are a little lazy. It would be much easier to write in this style as you don't really have to deal with back and forth conversation and each character gets a voice all of their own. Someone...???
I don't want to be contrary, but I do have to say that I've often thought that in today's world where so much of our communications are not spoken -- including this forum, I've often thought more books should include the alternative communications. So, maybe I disagree the tiniest bit.

Some writers are great with conversations, others -- I'd almost have preferred they just put it in an email!

Still, it can definitely be overdone, I am certain. I haven't read the book you discussed, and have to assume you are right about that one.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,070,847 times
Just finished The Crane's Dance by Meg Howrey and quite liked it. It's about two sisters who are ballet dancers. It gives a lot of insight into the dance world, not all of it pretty (diets, starvation, overexercise, competition). Definitely not a romanticized version. It's also about the relationship between the two sisters and their fragile mental health. If you enjoyed the movie Black Swan, you'd probably like this book. Well written. Some humorous (sort of dark, snarky humor) in parts.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Just finished The Crane's Dance by Meg Howrey and quite liked it. It's about two sisters who are ballet dancers. It gives a lot of insight into the dance world, not all of it pretty (diets, starvation, overexercise, competition). Definitely not a romanticized version. It's also about the relationship between the two sisters and their fragile mental health. If you enjoyed the movie Black Swan, you'd probably like this book. Well written. Some humorous (sort of dark, snarky humor) in parts.
That reminds me of a biography I read years ago. It was written by a ballerina in NYC. I can't remember the name of the book or the name of the dancer but it spoke to her anorexia and what she went through to be the best....bleeding feet and all. It's a tough profession. Wow. I could never do it.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM

48,217 posts, read 34,263,841 times
I just finished 50 Shades of Gray. I'll admit it, I LIKED it.

On another note I'm half way through Straight Up and Dirty (I'm on vacation which is perfect for trashy books!) by Stephanie Klein. It's HORRIBLE. The writing is horrible, her made up words to try and be cool are horrible, she is shallow and pretentious, hypocritical, whiny... Ugh. It's very wannabe Sex and the City (which I liked), and an epic fail.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I liked it, too, Mikala.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM

16,820 posts, read 16,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

On another note I'm half way through Straight Up and Dirty (I'm on vacation which is perfect for trashy books!) by Stephanie Klein. It's HORRIBLE. The writing is horrible, her made up words to try and be cool are horrible, she is shallow and pretentious, hypocritical, whiny... Ugh. It's very wannabe Sex and the City (which I liked), and an epic fail.
I just finished reading 50 shades, too. It was a good trashy read, more or less what I expected it to be. I'll probably read at least the second book in the series, too.

Now I wonder who would be good to play the role of Christian Grey in the movie. I saw a picture of Jessie Palveka and he has been mentioned as a possibilty for the role. He's a fitness trainer on a show called Diatribe. I've never seen that show, I don't know if he can act, but judging from his picture I think he would make a mighty fine Christian Grey.

I haven't read Straight up and Dirty..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,506,520 times
Just found an old paperback copy of a Maeve Binchy book "Evening Class". This one came out in 1996. Our super market has a table at the front of the store where you can donate used books. If you find one you want you donate $1 for hardcovers, .50 for paperbacks and drop your money in a jar. They change the charity that it goes to every so often. It's always worth a glance to see what you might want to pick up.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,057,841 times
A Discovery of Witches...so far it seems like Twilight with science words...but I guess I'll keep going.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

238 posts, read 313,805 times
I'm reading two. "A Child Called It" by Dave Pelzer (child abuse) and "What Was She Thinking? (Notes on a Scandal)" by Zoe Heller (underage student/teacher relationship).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books