Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,384,426 times

Advertisements

I am going to start Jezebel by Irene Nemirovsky... just finished her "the wine of solitude". It wasn't as good as "Suite Francaise" in my opinion, but still a good read.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM

16,815 posts, read 16,053,944 times
Started 50 Shades Darker and I just can't keep going with this one.....ahh, Christian, it was nice while it lasted - lol.

Switching over to Time Traveler's Wife

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,166,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hiiiiii, C2SC!

I'm away from "home" for a bit... at "home" with family. I've been reading The Twelve Tribes of Hattie, but maximum two pages per night before I fall asleep.
Yay! Good to see you haven't abandoned us.

I just finished "Dead Anyway" by Chris Knopf, which was a good murder mystery. It took me forever, I can't seem to stay awake long enough to get through even a few minutes lately.

Now I have Gillian Flynn's "Sharp Objects" up next, I hope I enjoy it as much as "Gone Girl."

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I liked TTW a lot, and read it twice.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,902,510 times
I just finished reading John Grisham's "The Racketeer" ... Grisham does it again, a good book.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,472,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I am going to start Jezebel by Irene Nemirovsky... just finished her "the wine of solitude". It wasn't as good as "Suite Francaise" in my opinion, but still a good read.
I also like "Suite Francaise" but later tried "Fire in the Blood" and couldn't stay with it. It just didn't captivate me. Personally, I wish she would've written her own memoirs, given her life and the way she died. With her talent, I can only imagine THAT would've been spell-binding. I'm glad her daughter survived to share these last works.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 PM

48,214 posts, read 34,240,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Started 50 Shades Darker and I just can't keep going with this one.....ahh, Christian, it was nice while it lasted - lol.

Nooo! I just got 50 Shades Darker and the 3rd one from the library.

But I also have the TTW with me too (I think) on my Kindle.

I want my trash books - I'm still out of state until next month.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,384,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I also like "Suite Francaise" but later tried "Fire in the Blood" and couldn't stay with it. It just didn't captivate me. Personally, I wish she would've written her own memoirs, given her life and the way she died. With her talent, I can only imagine THAT would've been spell-binding. I'm glad her daughter survived to share these last works.
Actually I read that Wine of Solitude was more or less her own story... it is supposed to be the "most autobiographical of all her novels, so you might enjoy it!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 AM

16,815 posts, read 16,053,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nooo! I just got 50 Shades Darker and the 3rd one from the library.

But I also have the TTW with me too (I think) on my Kindle.

I want my trash books - I'm still out of state until next month.
Darker is more of the same but the "plot" evolves in away that is a little more than silly.....plus Christian's control freaky side becomes a lot more overbearing.

Overall, I found that there is simply a lot more to overlook in this book than there was in the first book. But if you can manage to look beyond the flaws, you might still be able to get some amount of enjoyment out of it. I managed about 130 pages...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM

49,860 posts, read 63,047,917 times
I'm reading the last of the trilogy by Steig Larsson, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest."

Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,871,605 times
I finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette last night. It was an enjoyable that kept me guessing and smiling. It had some high points and some low points, but was clever and entertaining. If someone is looking for a fun, sort of quirky read, this should do the trick.

Big gear shift to The Paris Wife today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books