Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times

Advertisements

I just finished The Paris Wife - it was so-so. I read it quickly and was vaguely interested the whole way through, but that style of fleshing out historical facts with contrived dialogue is not a favorite of mine at all. It also had a "name-dropping" tendency as other historic figures (Ezra Pound...) strolled through the book without really providing any depth to the story.

I'll be interested to hear what my book club ladies have to say at our meeting, but I thought it was pretty forgettable.

Now - what next??? I pulled East of Eden off the shelf late last night and might give it a try. I have never enjoyed a Steinbeck, though admittedly have not read him since high school. Or, I might try another Herman Wouk having had such a good time with Marjorie....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Paris Wife - it was so-so. I read it quickly and was vaguely interested the whole way through, but that style of fleshing out historical facts with contrived dialogue is not a favorite of mine at all. It also had a "name-dropping" tendency as other historic figures (Ezra Pound...) strolled through the book without really providing any depth to the story.

I'll be interested to hear what my book club ladies have to say at our meeting, but I thought it was pretty forgettable.

Now - what next??? I pulled East of Eden off the shelf late last night and might give it a try. I have never enjoyed a Steinbeck, though admittedly have not read him since high school. Or, I might try another Herman Wouk having had such a good time with Marjorie....
I might not be the best help in this, seeing as I loved The Paris Wife. I've also never been able to read Steinbeck, but really enjoyed East of Eden. That said, by the end I'd had enough of it and was happy to have it over. I did love Marjorie Morningstar, like you did, but never sought out another Wouk book.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,872,229 times
Just finished God Plays Favorites by Charlie Carillo. I laughed, I cried, I gasped, but mostly I just loved it. The characters are so well-drawn and their dialogue is so true that I felt I was there when these events happened. God sure played favorites when he endowed Charlie Carillo with the gift of story-telling.

You might like to try Raising Jake and Shepherd Avenue and Found Money, allby the same author. If you have to choose, choose Found Money.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM

157 posts, read 174,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy
I have read your number 4 (also all of them), 8 and 9, also i have read The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, which I liked very-very much, another book I was delighted by was A Fine Balance http://allinside4kris.blogspot.it/20...e-balance.html Have you ever read books of Paolo Coelho? I read some of them, and i really loved them...

Last edited by kristarina; 02-11-2013 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: misprint

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM

157 posts, read 174,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trungle231 View Post
I have just read "1984" by Geogre Orwell for the 4th time, and the only thing I can say is fantastic. I love how this book ends, not a happy ending. But this ending makes readers to think about their country. Personally, "1984" is somehow the metaphor of China nowsaday
I am thinking of reading it

Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM

16,820 posts, read 16,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
I am thinking of reading it
I recently finished it (yay!) after making numerous attempts since HS to get through it. Until now, the best I was able to do was a half hearted skim through when it was required reading in one of my classes. I love books, love classics but this one...didn't seem to be my thing. However, there are so many references made to this book in movies/other books/general conversation that I've always felt that I should read it.

Once I got more into the book, I found myself actually appreciating it. The last 30/40 pages are fairly intense. Now that I've read it, I doubt that'll I forget it, either. So do read 1984 if you get the chance .

I'm now gearing up to tackle Atlas Shrugged...

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-11-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 17,391 times
I tend to read a few books at a time depending on where I'm at and what part of the day it is (car line, bedtime, etc).

Right now I'm reading:

- Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
- The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick
- Foreclosures for Dummies
- Rereading Here On Earth by Alice Hoffman

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
im currently trudging through the housekeeper and I dont think I will finish at all ... really boring I think I have been in a reading slump and or hiatus does that make sense ? I hope so cause Im bored absoloutly bored with reading right now . I want spring to come .

Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
Just started Forever by Pete Hammill. Not sure if it was a "Dawn recommendation" or from someone else on CD.
After watching the first season of "Copper" I was primed for wanting to learn about the early history of New York City.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Just started Forever by Pete Hammill. Not sure if it was a "Dawn recommendation" or from someone else on CD.
It was! It was!

Ketabcha recommended it to me. I really had low hopes for it -- fantasy? me? uh, no -- but I loved it sooooo much. If you're not done with New York history after that -- or even if you are, save this one for another time -- you MUST read New York by Edward Rutherfurd. It's HUGE... and it's all sorts of awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books