Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

I'm reading This Perfect Day by Ira Levin.

It's dystopian and thus far so-so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Elizabeth and Leicester by Sarah Gristwood. Historical novel. Written scholarly. Referenced and foot noted

Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Grrr! Audiobooks! (Or, audiobook players, I guess I should say.) I unplugged my Zune from my auxillary connection in my car and put it in my purse while having coffee with a friend before we went to an exhibit, only to discover when I plugged it back into the car stereo that it had been playing to my purse! The Zune has a lock, but I didn't lock it and obviously the play button was activated. Dang it all.

Rant over.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Grrrr! Kindle!

Actually - this isn't at all the Kindle's fault, it is solely my fault as I left my Kindle at an one of my out of town offices. It is sitting there waiting for me as I'll be back at that office later this week so it isn't a crisis, but I had slogged through 3 whole percent of Winds of War and was looking forward to making more progress this weekend.

So, in the mean time, I picked up my book club book for next month (three weeks early - a record for me) and am feeling hopeful. This month's book is An Invisible Thread - a memoir of a busy advertising executive's relationship with an 11 year old panhandling boy in New York. So far, it is giving me a The Other Wes Moore vibe.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
I just finished reading An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves and the Creation of America by Henry Wiencek. I enjoyed it very much, and it (along with The Ascent of George Washington by John Ferling) have given me an appreciation for our first president that my H.S. American history class totally failed to do. His relationship with slaves and the institution of slavery was marked by many conflicting personal interests, and was complicated by the fact that the majority of "his" slaves were actually dower slaves belong to his wife's family, which he only had the use of while she lived.

I went to H.S. in the mid-Fifties and our American History course - in marked contrast to our World History course, was very boring. In particular the men who started the Revolution were presented with all the superficiality of cardboard cutout dolls. I finished the course with no real appreciation for the accomplishments of these men because they didn't seem like real people. Both of the above books presented well rounded portraits of Washington, and showed a complex man whose personal and public agendas were sometimes in conflict.

After reading these books I see a fascinating man, not entirely likable - but no longer the unrealistic one-dimensional character of my high school years. I wish our teacher had felt comfortable being more honest about these people and their motivations. Our World History course, taught by the same man, was far more interesting because he had no reluctance in presenting the historical personages as real people with strengths, shortcomings, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

So, in the mean time, I picked up my book club book for next month (three weeks early - a record for me) and am feeling hopeful. This month's book is An Invisible Thread - a memoir of a busy advertising executive's relationship with an 11 year old panhandling boy in New York. So far, it is giving me a The Other Wes Moore vibe.
I read that! Actually, I read them both. I loved An Invisible Thread. It gave me goosebumps and all sorts of "there are great people in this world" feelings. Terrific story.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I gave up on A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth after about 150 pages and returned it to the library. I've come to realize that if it's a book I purchased I'm more inclined to stick with it even if it is not really engrossing.

I bought several new books about dogs recently but can't seem to settle down and read anything - guess I'm just worried about Frannie dog's upcoming surgery and finding it difficult to focus on much of anything else.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I bought several new books about dogs recently but can't seem to settle down and read anything - guess I'm just worried about Frannie dog's upcoming surgery and finding it difficult to focus on much of anything else.
Totally understandable. When something BIG is going on, you can go one of two ways: lose yourself in a book so that you don't think of the BIG... or you can't stop thinking about the BIG enough to be able to concentrate on a book. I usually fall into the latter category, like you. Big hugs to you and Frannie -- I'm sending all my healthy and loving vibes to you both.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
... can't seem to settle down and read anything - guess I'm just worried about Frannie dog's upcoming surgery and finding it difficult to focus on much of anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Totally understandable. -- I'm sending all my healthy and loving vibes to you both.
I second that, Zugor, and add that I am certain that how ever this turns out, Frannie and her dog will know that your highest hopes for their best good is sustaining them through this ordeal. Feel wrapped in the conscious support of those who know you as we do -- or better, and let this tide carry you to your hopes.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm giving The Book Thief another try. I've tried twice before and just could not get into it. I know a lot of readers really love the book.

I restarted it last night and was enthralled from page one. How odd is that? Maybe I was not in the right frame of mind the last two times I tried. This time it is singing from the pages right into my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books