Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

There have been times in my life, not many but just the right amount, that have occurred when I finish reading a book. I'm actually glad that the times are few and far between because they are much sweeter that way.

One just occurred. I finished The Book Thief. I simply do not have the words to express what I am feeling. This book is so exceptional, so glorious and yet so stunningly heart breaking that I lack the words to say more about it.

I loved it. I made a lot of noise finishing the last few pages. So many surprises galloped along Himmel Street in silence that I just had to sob out loud.

Thank you. Thank you, Markus Zusak, for this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
'JFK And The Unspeakable; Why He Died And Why It Matters' by James W. Douglass.

Fascinating and scary, to put it mildly.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had to click back through four posts, to find out that you guys are talking about "The Book Thief" (I think). Try to remember to re-reference the book once in a while, as exchaging ideas on it.
I had quoted Ketabcha's post -- referencing The Book Thief -- but I see someone then quoted MY post and so it was lost. Yes, it was The Book Thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
There have been times in my life, not many but just the right amount, that have occurred when I finish reading a book. I'm actually glad that the times are few and far between because they are much sweeter that way.

One just occurred. I finished The Book Thief. I simply do not have the words to express what I am feeling. This book is so exceptional, so glorious and yet so stunningly heart breaking that I lack the words to say more about it.

I loved it. I made a lot of noise finishing the last few pages. So many surprises galloped along Himmel Street in silence that I just had to sob out loud.

I know, right? I might have to read that one again. I know that I say that about some books -- this one, Memoirs of a Geisha, Still Alice, and others -- but I really should re-read this one. It got to me in a big way when I read it in 2006.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Waking up with the reading world... and it seems I only have time-space for reading this forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Finally settled down a bit and got about 1/4 of the way through Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote, author of Merle's Door.
I so loved Ted's "Merle's Door" that we exchanged a few emails, so when we were in Jackson Hole, WY DH and I drove up to see if we could find the tiny community where he and Merle had lived. We did, and as we were getting out of the car a man walked up with two large dogs. One was Pukka. He's a beautiful dog. The man explained that Ted was out of town, and he was house-sitting. After we chatted briefly we went into the tiny store and had a coffee while we soaked in the ambiance. It was great fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just got a book that I saw written up in the Wall Street Journal - Dinner. The entire book takes place during one dinner out at a restaurant with two adult brothers and their wives as they discuss a crime that their sons have committed. That's all I know, but it sounded intriguing.
Sounds like a spin off of "My Dinner with Andre."

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm going to try Unbound next. I am stuck in a blizzard anywhere, with nowhere to go and nothing to do. We went from a -2C and freezing rain to a blizzard and a current windchill of -32 with a low of -38 with windchill.
Snowed in with two lousy reads.. a hell only a reader could imagine! I pray "Unbound" takes you into its covers and wraps you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
.. and 3 books and 2,100 pages into the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, I feel I must bail because it is starting to feel like WORK, slogging through it. So much for me and epic fantasy.
Dang, and I downloaded the first three...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
...we were struggling grad students, pre-kids and read them aloud back and forth for a couple of weeks. What a fun memory!
I couldn't rep you, but reading this brought back good memories of my own. Thanks.

I am back to reading snippets of "Shalimar the Clown" on my lunch break, only because my Kindle fits into my purse. Dinners are for "Mr. Darwin's Shooter." The commute is "Parrot and Olivier." I am having the oddest dreams at night!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Finished Son, which was the conclusion to The Giver.

Most of the reviews were pretty favorable but I really did not like it. I would give it a "meh."

Before that I finished The Yellow Birds. Usually I don't care for books that have to do with war but it was beautifully written.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

So happy you loved it!! It's a keeper. I plan to re-read eventually (as Dawn should!), probably sooner rather than later.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Default half way through...

You know a book is good when it's 600 pages, and when I've crossed the 300 page point, I'm getting sad because "Oh no! It's almost over."

This is Forever by Pete Hammill (thanks Dawn).

The only thing I don't like is that he skips over 20-30 years in between time periods, and I want 600 more pages telling me in detail what happened during all of those years. I'm like "what's all this skipping, you lazy writer? What-- you can't write a 1200 page book?"

I love historical fiction, especially when it prompts me to go and read more about the people and events mentioned. I've been reading about the 1740 arctic cold snap and famine in Ireland, the slave revolts in New York City in 1741, the British capture of NY during the Revolution, and the black soldiers who fought in the Revolution.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You know a book is good when it's 600 pages, and when I've crossed the 300 page point, I'm getting sad because "Oh no! It's almost over."

This is Forever by Pete Hammill (thanks Dawn).

The only thing I don't like is that he skips over 20-30 years in between time periods, and I want 600 more pages telling me in detail what happened during all of those years. I'm like "what's all this skipping, you lazy writer? What-- you can't write a 1200 page book?"
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And I'll thank Ketabcha for telling me about it so that I could tell you about it. )

Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
Finally read and finished Reached by Allie Condie. That book makes me regret ever starting that series. I found it very long and boring (actually starting skipping pages when I had about 100 pages left). Glad it is done. Probably going to sell my trilogy now. :P

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Shades of Grey because I wanted to see what the hubub was about. I can't decide if I like it or not. It's definitely a fast read, and I'll finish the other two as well, but...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
I've been avoiding shades of grey because of all the talk about it...I am now reading Carole King's natural woman and Michael Walker's ...Laurel Canyon. I try to not read more than two at a time

I got kindle as a Christmas present and it's not working at all, I just don't have the patience right now to see how it works
but I guess it'd be nice for if I travel..

Last edited by MaggieZ; 02-19-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books