Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

I am very disappointed with Zadie Smith's "The Autograph Man", although I liked her other two books that I've read. Half way through it, I'm just giving up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Now about to try William Gibson's "Zero History". Never read anything by him before, but I've read Neil Stephenson and David Mitchell, which were OK.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I was 6% into Ticket to Ride by Paula McLain when I realized that (a) I wasn't loving the story and (b) I wasn't in the mood for yet another coming of age story. So I just did the unthinkable. Yes, that's right, I borrowed The Dinner from the library. And, yes, I'm bowing my head in shame. I'm not sure when I'll start it but, yes indeed, I will soon begin. Forgive me, C2ShiningC.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I've discovered an author who is new to me but has been around for a good while. She writes nonfiction. Ruth Gruber. I cannot figure out how I have missed her work because what she writes about is the genre I am most interested in. Israeli/Jewish history.

She is quite amazing and what is particularly interesting is that she lived most of what she writes about.

There are a lot of Ruth Gruber books available on kindle and I'm having a great time gobbling them up. One in particular that I really wanted to read it not on kindle and I ordered the hardback because I will be keeping the book. I know I will.

I know you readers understand just how bodacious it is to find an author you really like who has written a lot of books.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
I finished "Wideacre" by Philippa Gregory. A really great book. I already bought the other two volumes of this series and started "The Favoured Child". Fluent reading. You just have to know what happens next!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've discovered an author who is new to me but has been around for a good while. She writes nonfiction. Ruth Gruber. I cannot figure out how I have missed her work because what she writes about is the genre I am most interested in. Israeli/Jewish history.

She is quite amazing and what is particularly interesting is that she lived most of what she writes about.

There are a lot of Ruth Gruber books available on kindle and I'm having a great time gobbling them up. One in particular that I really wanted to read it not on kindle and I ordered the hardback because I will be keeping the book. I know I will.

I know you readers understand just how bodacious it is to find an author you really like who has written a lot of books.
I remember Ruth Gruber when she was a UPI correspondent back in the 1970s, filing routine radio stories out of some European bureau, and I was a great admirer of her news reporting style. In fact, as a news reporter myself at the time, she was a role model for me, with her straightforward, no-nonsense approach to concise coverage.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I'm reading Wool, by Hugh Howey, recommended by Ketabcha a long time ago. I am reading it on a Kindle app on the ipad, which I am NOT enjoying at all, but I AM enjoying the story. I originally downloaded the .99 cent version of Part 1 of Wool and then quickly downloaded the rest.

The writer is amazing, the writing is not amateurish in the slightest. I haven't come across any spelling errors in the Kindle version so the spelling errors I read complaints about might have been in the printed version (there seems to have been a version printed by the author available?). However, I became so curious about the writer that I Googled him because I could not believe that a publishing company had not snapped him up, and sure enough, a publisher HAS snapped him up - Simon and Schuster is releasing simultaneously a hardback and paperback version and the release date is now.

He is on a book tour according to his website. Hugh C. Howey

I think this guy is the next Justin Cronin-The Passage sensation so for those of you who enjoy that sort of book, I highly recommend this one. I will definitely be buying the non-Kindle version.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
Finished the Fifty Shades trilogy, which was so poorly written it made Twilight look like a literary masterpiece. I had a love/hate relationship with the trilogy, though.

Read A Model Student by Robin Hazelwood, and currently reading Model: A Memoir by Cheryl Diamond. Diamond is pretty unlikeable, in my opinion, but I like the book so far.

I'm not sure what I'll read after that. Kabul Beauty School is at the top of my pile at the moment.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Finished the Fifty Shades trilogy, which was so poorly written it made Twilight look like a literary masterpiece. I had a love/hate relationship with the trilogy, though.

Read A Model Student by Robin Hazelwood, and currently reading Model: A Memoir by Cheryl Diamond. Diamond is pretty unlikeable, in my opinion, but I like the book so far.

I'm not sure what I'll read after that. Kabul Beauty School is at the top of my pile at the moment.
The Kabul Beauty School (nonfiction) is an excellent read. I read it several years ago. It's been interesting keeping up with what the author/founder has been doing over the years since she founded that school.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 AM

289 posts, read 569,687 times
Just started "The Lying Game", it's a series by Sara Shepard (author of Pretty Little Liars) and the tv show by the same name is based on the books.

I'm also thinking of starting the Richelle Mead series "Bloodines". Which is exactlay what I sai I didn't want to do right now was start reading a new series. My local library is also having a book/yard sale (that's where I am right now using their internet) and I'm picked up "The Book Thief" and "The Killing Game".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books