Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

I just finished "Tell the Wolves I'm Home," and loved it. It's a coming of age story, but it is so much more. It grabbed my heart and squeezed. I was the characters, all of them. I felt their joys, their fears, their loneliness, their despair. I cried. And then I wished it didn't have to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
Ah, one of Rice's earlier novels. I liked the book a lot. Heck, I liked Lestat, too. I think it is my favorite right after Interview with the Vampire. Enjoy.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Total Recall (by Ahhhhhnold the Governator)

Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished "Tell the Wolves I'm Home," and loved it. It's a coming of age story, but it is so much more. It grabbed my heart and squeezed. I was the characters, all of them. I felt their joys, their fears, their loneliness, their despair. I cried. And then I wished it didn't have to end.
I read that when it first came out. I didn't love it as much as you did but that's because I think that I read so many coming of age stories that I just get tired of the child narrator at some point, likely the point right before I started this book. That said, I remember liking it a lot, just not loving it.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I read that when it first came out. I didn't love it as much as you did but that's because I think that I read so many coming of age stories that I just get tired of the child narrator at some point, likely the point right before I started this book. That said, I remember liking it a lot, just not loving it.
I totally can relate to that. Actually, coming of age stories or young adult fiction are rarely my choice. This one just touched all the places in my life experiences. Being the too tall, heavy girl with book smarts but no people smarts. Being the older, shorter sister that wanted a better relationship with her sister but couldn't figure out how to do that. Being "latch key" before the phrase developed. Lord, there were so many aspects of the characters that just kept me reeling into it -- I couldn't not read it.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
I totally can relate to that. Actually, coming of age stories or young adult fiction are rarely my choice. This one just touched all the places in my life experiences. Being the too tall, heavy girl with book smarts but no people smarts. Being the older, shorter sister that wanted a better relationship with her sister but couldn't figure out how to do that. Being "latch key" before the phrase developed. Lord, there were so many aspects of the characters that just kept me reeling into it -- I couldn't not read it.
I get it. I relate to many characters in many books in many ways, sometimes to the point of scaring or upsetting me.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,167 times
The Ice Man, Tales of a Mafia hitman,

by Carlo

gruesome and unsettling , over half-way through

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I just finished reading Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

I know that I carry on and rave about books that I really like. I'm just too old to change the way I react to good writing. Besides, I don't want to.

I love this book. It is beautifully written and the characters are multi-faceted with great depth.
It's a story of great love but it is not a romance. It's one of the best I have read in a long time.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,499 times
Quote:
Gee, sounds a lot like my life... only I had no sister to contend with. My brothers were all dumber than me.

I haven't been around these parts in a long while. I got stuck on Love and War by John Jakes. I now think I could not read about war because of all the losses going on around me. We have lost five friends in the last year. Not fun. War and death were not cutting it.

So, I am now reading The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel . I've read the whole series quite a number of times, but decided to just get into the book. I am glad I did, because I am enjoying it. I've had many sleepless nights this past week, with more to come.

My son bought me an early birthday present: a 13 book series by Debbie Macomber - The Cedar Cove series. I found book 4 and paid 50 cents for it, then realized it was part of a series. My son told me to find the series and he would get it for me for my birthday. I was thrilled! So, now I have 16 real books to read.
Call me a happy Mama.

My cat is soooo happy that I am reading again at night. She lies beside me and gets scratches the whole time. If I don't read, she leaves me alone (and then hogs my bed once I am asleep.)

Life is good again - I've found a book worth reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books