Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,536,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSass View Post
I finished Paradise by Toni Morrison last week. Has anyone read it? I really need to know what you got out of it. The ending totally threw me for a loop. Somebody pls say you read this book....
Okay, I found it as a library download, and will start it after I finish "The Girl Who Played with Fire."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,297,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I'm reading Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim,,,,,,,,great book, if you love Little House on the Prairie
I really enjoyed that book. I laughed out loud while reading it. She is quite a gifted comedian.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I will forever love Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible but never could get far into The Lacuña. I tried one more of hers (cannot remember the name) but couldn't stand it. I'll check out Animal Dreams, Marlow. Thank you.
Haven't read The Lacuna, but have enjoyed everything else by her. I read The Poisonwood Bible years ago and still think about it often.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM

126,241 posts, read 19,002,473 times
Default ,,The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn''

I have started to read ,,The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn''by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler.The story tells about Seikei, the fourteen-year-old son of a tea merchant in Japan, who wants desperately to become a samurai, and he gets his chance to prove his courage when he becomes involved in the pursuit of a ruby thief.It is part of my reading I have to do for my Karate training. So far I like it.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Haven't read The Lacuna, but have enjoyed everything else by her. I read The Poisonwood Bible years ago and still think about it often.
Whenever I see a box of cake mix I chuckle because I remember the wife of the minister planning the move to The Congo and taping the cake mixes to the kids and how sticky those packages became in route to the jungle. LOL

I started Animal Dreams last night. So far: so so.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,871,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I'm reading Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim,,,,,,,,great book, if you love Little House on the Prairie
I think I did a thread on that book! I put it in the TV forum, but it got moved to Celebrities, I think.

Oh, here it is:
//www.city-data.com/forum/celeb...tle-house.html

Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM

758 posts, read 1,637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I leave my books at laundromats. People pick them up and take them home.
My mom's apartment complex in Hawaii had a bookshelf for a similar purpose. Last time I went to visit, I left my vacation books on the shelf for whoever wanted them.

So I finished The Cure by Robin Cook. It was a bit slow and anticlimactic, but not bad. Next, I returned to my current model phase with This Year's Model by Carol Alt. Fun story, quick read. Now I'm reading Kabul Beauty School, and even though I'm only about 40 pages in, I'm LOVING it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,994,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
My mom's apartment complex in Hawaii had a bookshelf for a similar purpose. Last time I went to visit, I left my vacation books on the shelf for whoever wanted them.

So I finished The Cure by Robin Cook. It was a bit slow and anticlimactic, but not bad. Next, I returned to my current model phase with This Year's Model by Carol Alt. Fun story, quick read. Now I'm reading Kabul Beauty School, and even though I'm only about 40 pages in, I'm LOVING it.
Oh! I was going to start The Crazed by Ha Jin, but I really should start on Kabul Beauty School instead. If I don't forget -- by the time I'm ready to start reading tonight, I mean -- I might just do that.

PS. Does your Mom like visitors? Because I'm happy to go to Hawaii to see her.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,994,313 times
I started reading The Crazed. Someone please remind me that once I finish it -- who knows when... -- that I should read Kabul Beauty School next. I can't be trusted to remember my name anymore.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Dawn, you MUST read The Kabul Beauty School. It's really a good book. I read it a long time ago and still remember some of the scenes.

Afghan women in country really have a custom of being as beautiful as possible for their weddings and other events. Facials, manicures, gorgeous hair and make up are required for this and the Kabul Beauty School was the perfect business to set up in Kabul. Yeah, the women would often come in wearing burqas and leave the same way but they knew they were beautiful.

It's a true story and the gutsy woman (an American if I remember correctly) brought this school to Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books