Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

112 posts, read 178,086 times

Advertisements

I finished "The Backyard Parables" by Margaret Roach, a delightful book if anyone needs a break from literature or fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
A Summer Bird-Cage by Margaret Drabble.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am so glad you are reading Still Alice, Marlow. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I've read it twice and probably will read it again. I think everyone should read it. When a loved one first enters dementia we tend to think that they are just ignoring things of the past and present. My mother is the same age as yours and she has had diagnosed dementia for over 5 years. It was really tough at first because the unfiltered human "reptillian nature" made an appearance and my sister and I didn't know how to deal with it. Eventually that went away, thank God! It helps to understand what the individual with dementia is going through. She is very happy in an assisted living "lock down" unit and she doesn't even notice that we have to enter codes to enter and exit. She loves the food, someone giving her the meds and making sure she showers. One thing she has never forgotten is to get her hair done. We made sure there was a salon in the facility.
Still Alice was one of the hardest things I've ever read. I had to force myself to muscle through it because it was so unsettling to me. Now, everytime I forget the name of something, which happens about 15 times a day, I'm sure I've got early onset Alzheimer's. Yesterday my brother and I were visiting our mom at the same time and while we were talking, she would close her eyes and strain to understand. It broke my heart for her, but I did appreciate the insight about what she's going through.

Quote:
I read Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout in 2009. It won the Pulitzer. I feel like a name-dropper.

It is a totally character-driven book and at first meeting each of the characters I wanted to bop them upside the head because I didn't like any of them. And then....and then I did like them. I actually loved most of them. So, what does this have to do with the price of corn? Well....just about everything.

I just finished Strout's The Burgess Boys. Strout is good (or bad) about showing us the flaws of the characters from the get go. I had forgotten that. So, I was not fond of any of them and then I began to like them and, finally, I loved them.

Is it better to like a person immediately and then learn to detest them or to detest them at first and end up loving them? Am I so hot and then cold or just the opposite? Heck if I know. What I do know is that in Elizabeth Strout's books (well, the two that I have read) I am totally emotional about the folks who inhabit her stories.

I know I rave about particular books a lot of the time except for The Dinner... WAIT! I did rave about it. I hated it. Anyways (that word plays a rather small part in The Burgess Boys and I never use it with an s on the end) is a very fine novel. I just finished it and OMG! I loved it. I loved it so much that I am actually crying. Yeah, I'm weird. Always have been. But this novel is so outstanding that I might even manage to take off my robe and go buy a Frosty. Then again, maybe not.

Read it if you want to. It's great, trust me on that.
I know exactly what you mean about Strout's characters. If you haven't read Amy and Isabelle by her, put it on your list. I was reading it while waiting in the vet's office and started crying. Embarrassing, but I couldn't help it.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I know exactly what you mean about Strout's characters. If you haven't read Amy and Isabelle by her, put it on your list. I was reading it while waiting in the vet's office and started crying. Embarrassing, but I couldn't help it.
I actually have this book. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I'll read it next. Did you notice that A&I and The Burgess Boys both take place in Shirley Falls?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,639,977 times
Wasp waisted. It is a mystery, in Paris, with a lingerie backdrop. Only a few chapters in.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Quote:
I actually have this book. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I'll read it next. Did you notice that A&I and The Burgess Boys both take place in Shirley Falls?
I haven't read The Burgess Boys yet, so no, I hadn't noticed. With the exception of a couple of books in series, I hardly ever read something when it first comes out. Not sure why. I rarely see movies when they first come out either. So I'll put The Burgess Boys on my list and be delighted to stumble upon it in a year or so.

The only Strout book I haven't been thrilled with so far is Abide With Me. I liked it, but just not as much as the others.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
OMG! Artie the dog wrote a book! It's now on my amazon wish list!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
OMG! Artie the dog wrote a book! It's now on my amazon wish list!
Nooo! NO!!! It's terrible. The more I think about it, the more terrible I know it is. Oh, geez, I'll say it again: It's written in a very elementary style; no pretty prose or clever turns of phrases. If anything, you might get a giggle out of it, but that's IT. I'm not that humble -- if I thought it was good, I'd tell you. But it's not.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
But it's Artie! And his poop!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Nooo! NO!!! It's terrible. The more I think about it, the more terrible I know it is. Oh, geez, I'll say it again: It's written in a very elementary style; no pretty prose or clever turns of phrases. If anything, you might get a giggle out of it, but that's IT. I'm not that humble -- if I thought it was good, I'd tell you. But it's not.
Fight it all you want, Dawn, but we love you so we're buying your book and you can't stop us!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books