Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,351 times

Advertisements

I read "The Unlikely Lavender Queen" by Jeannie Ralston, which I really liked, and I find anything by Fannie Flagg keeps my interest. I love her style of writing, from "Fried Green Tomatoes" to "Standing in the Rainbow", which I'm reading now. I usually pick up an Oprah's bookclub book, but a lot of the ones she recommends are so heavy (not weight wise)... know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Just finished "Anna" by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles and started the second part of her Russian saga "Fleur" - well doesn't sound really Russian but it is as it is...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
'Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945'

Man, those guys were tough

Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,674 times
Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan. Its great so far...

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times
I just finished American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. I was a bit apprehensive before I read it, thinking it was going to be a total smear campaign...and if this was the author's intention, so be it.

Since it's loosely based on GW Bush, I actually gained more respect for him if he's anything like the "president" in the book. This person was full of life & personality, unlike most of the radical robots in Washington.

I'm getting ready to start Cross Country by James Patterson. You can never go wrong with one of his books!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Just finished Xenocide by Orson Scott Card and started Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I had a tough time getting through the first couple of chapters but it's better now. And who knew Evelyn was a guy?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Just finished Xenocide by Orson Scott Card and started Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I had a tough time getting through the first couple of chapters but it's better now. And who knew Evelyn was a guy?
Just like I was surprised that Curtis Sittenfeld was a woman!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,724 times
I must really be into escaping from reality into things that are "pie in the sky" happy ending type books! It sounds like so many of the books that people on here are reading are way too "heavy" for me! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good biography, history, etc. read now & then, but mostly am into a light read. I was wondering how many people are like me in that they are reading a number of books at the same time. Must be the inattentiveness in me.....(imagine that, I'm a Special Ed. teacher!).....but I tend to get bored reading just one book at a time unless it is so good that I just can't put it down. I usually have 3 or 4 going at the same time, usually a variety of genres, eras, etc. and right now think it's more like 5 or 6. Is anyone else out there like this?

Last edited by georgiainwyo; 01-23-2009 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Just finished "Dreams From My Father" - Barack Obama. I admit, I probably would not have read it if not written by the president-elect, but it did give me an insight into the kind of person he is, and how he became that person. A well written and intelligent book, yet an easy read. I am planning on reading "The Audacity of Hope" as well.
I read "The Faith of Barack Obama". It was a short, nice depiction of his religious background. It was really interesting to read about the diversity he has experienced. It gave me, also, a much better insight into the person who his is. "Getting to know him" before I took a group of students to the Inauguration this week made being there more special to me. What a wonderful experience for everyone on our trip!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

709 posts, read 2,180,677 times
I've been reading Louis L'Amour's THE SACKETTS.
Just finished To The Far Blue Mountains which is the second book in the series.
Going out today to see if I can find the first book Sackett's Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books