Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,647,187 times

Advertisements

I finished The Wayward Bus last night, and definitely liked it. I can't remember who on this board recommended it, or it may have been several people, but I really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,639,977 times
Reading a book called "Night-Scented" by David Barrie.

The last book I posted was by the same author. These are easy to digest mysteries set in Paris. This one is about luxury fashion. But from a male /non-insider perspective.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Well I did finish
The Mother Tongue English and How it got that way - by BRYSON. It was a good read, though some parts were a bit too much information, but like all his writing, I am drawn to read it and enjoy his take on everything= It was from the library and lo and behold, someone had apparently ripped out like 10 or 15 pages in the middle of it!
Probably going to start brand new one just
released Dandelion Hunter which looks like a very good read.
Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness: Rebecca Lerner: 9780762780624: Amazon.com: Books

Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,397,198 times
I just made an interesting discovery.

The Magnificent Ambersons, by Booth Tarkington
LibriVox » The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington (version 2)
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8867/8867-h/8867-h.htm

Now I am a science fiction fan so why would I find this interesting. I have heard of this title before and knew there was an Orson Welles' movie but I don't think I have seen it and would not have sought it out. But it is one of the first Pulitzer Prize winners and it is about TECHNOLOGY. A major part of the background is the automobile industry changing the economy and lifestyle of Americans at the turn of the 20th century. So this book also gives a kind of historical perspective of America before World War I. Tarkington describes changes that he saw in his lifetime while good science fiction tales are thought experiments about the changes technology may make in the future.

Technology changing society is a major science fiction theme because it really happens. Tablet computers are changing the publishing and education industries now. So you can read and/or listen to this nearly 100 year old book on your tablet to get a perspective on the next major technological change.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The Secret Race. Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs by Tyler Hamilton. Lance Amstrong was (is) even a bigger jerk than I thought.
I started this book this afternoon thanks to your mentioning it. It's quite good. I don't care at all about cycling and I didn't know who Tyler Hamilton was but I know him now.

I always wondered where the money came from for the riders. Now I know that the sponsors come up with it but then how did the U.S. Postal Service manage to have the money to pay the riders for "Postal?" We're not talking small change here. Hmmm. No wonder the price of stamps is so high.

I'm about a third of the way through the book and I am really impressed with the research that has been done. Hamilton wrote it with an established writer and I have yet to find one error which is unusual in a kindle book.

Yeah, I pretty much knew that Armstrong was an a$$ before now but you are right he's even a bigger one than I thought he was. There is something seriously wrong with that guy. No ethics, no moral code. But, that does make the telling more interesting. I know it is going to get much worse as the book unfolds.

Thanks for mentioning this book.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 04-14-2013 at 02:18 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 AM

43,227 posts, read 43,855,338 times
Currently I am reading "Factory Girls" by Leslie T. Chang about the lives of ordinary young Chinese migrant workers.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
Finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night and this afternoon I finished this wonderful little gem I heard about on here called The Fufkin Diaries. Now trying to decide what to read next. Not sure what I'm in the mood for yet.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,167,635 times
Although I'm not glad to see that others are having problems getting into books, at least it's nice to know I'm not alone. Maybe it is restlessness caused by this slow-to-arrive spring, but this is the worst book-block I've had in a long time. I have now gotten halfway through several books and abandoned them, although they are still on my mp3 player because I hate giving up on books.

In the meantime, I finished "The Prophet" by Michael Koryta, which was recommended by Mark S. in another thread here. Good thriller, wayyyyyy too much football, but I will try another book by him in the future.

Then I finished "Practical Demonkeeping" by Christopher Moore, whose name I found in this thread posted by several people. What a kick!! Moore is very funny, and the story was lots of fun. I now love Christopher Moore, and just put "Lamb" on hold - hope I enjoy it just as much.

I then stumbled upon Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" which I had not heard of before. "The Haunting of Hill House" has always been a favorite book/movie, and of course she wrote "The Lottery" which was required reading, which I loved, so I was surprised and pleased to find this audiobook on my library's website. I am halfway through - I downloaded it at 3 this morning - it's only six hours long, but I am completely hooked and a bit creeped out, which I love. It is so nice to read a book that is well-written - where the clumsy writing doesn't pull you out of the story like so many books I read.

Happy reading everybody!!

P.S. I am user 2 out of 22 on the waiting list for "The Dinner."

Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
I just started The Dream: A Memoir by Harry Bernstein.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Found "The Round House" at the library. When I can't find anything else, Louise Erdrich is one of the writers that one can always go back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books